• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:37:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 1011
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2176897 times)
lohai0
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #13155 on: January 04, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »

How late does a phone interview have to be before it is ok to email the SCC?

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #13156 on: January 04, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »

We just had a thread on this, Lohai0.  Upshot is you should e-mail the SCC right now.

Usually the problem is time zone differences and miscommunication.  But e-mail now.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
lohai0

« Reply #13157 on: January 04, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »

We just had a thread on this, Lohai0.  Upshot is you should e-mail the SCC right now.

Usually the problem is time zone differences and miscommunication.  But e-mail now.

I just reread the email. They said a time in EST, but the didn't actually give a date. Email sent, and I'm changing out of the monkey suit.

The SCC replied quickly. I interview Tuesday.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 1:01:10 PM by lohai0 » Logged

merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #13158 on: January 04, 2013, 4:45:22 PM »

This is a question for anyone who's been on the SC end of a multiple hire in a department undergoing rapid expansion.  If there are (say) three openings for Assistant Professor (no sub-field indicated), how would you handle job talks?  Would you still schedule three from a short list of that number?  More? (How many?) Or would you scrap job talks altogether in favour of a different approach?

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #13159 on: January 04, 2013, 5:11:21 PM »

This is a question for anyone who's been on the SC end of a multiple hire in a department undergoing rapid expansion.  If there are (say) three openings for Assistant Professor (no sub-field indicated), how would you handle job talks?  Would you still schedule three from a short list of that number?  More? (How many?) Or would you scrap job talks altogether in favour of a different approach?

Not quite the same situation, since (in my former department) there was some differentiation of needs for the various positions, but--yes, we did have job talks from the three finalists for each position. I suppose this might be done differently at an institution that is not research-intensive, but if they're research positions, don't you want everyone to have a chance of weighing in on all candidates?

Alternatively, if you're just bringing in n candidates for three positions, would you feel safe just inviting six of them total, knowing you would try to hire 3/6? You'd have to get your institution to sign onto bringing in up to three more candidates later, I think, in case you couldn't get three that are satisfactory out of that first batch. 

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
merinoblue

« Reply #13160 on: January 04, 2013, 5:26:53 PM »

Thanks, MsP.   I've been wondering if the department truly plans to schedule nine job talks over an X-month period.

Defender of whimsy
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #13161 on: January 05, 2013, 2:01:28 AM »

A bio-related department at Stanford supposedly scheduled 17 job talks for an indeterminate but large number of positions a few years ago. Come to think of it, I'm not sure they hired anyone. They didn't hire either of my friends who interviewed, so poo on them.

(edit: I found the photo a friend took of the special seminar schedule. Only 10 are listed but I'm pretty sure he found out that a bunch of other talks that semester were also job talks, so I will stand by my number, I guess.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 2:02:20 AM by greyscale » Logged
westcoastgirl

« Reply #13162 on: January 07, 2013, 9:01:00 PM »

This is a really quiet year for me in terms of positions to which I can feasibly apply. I was invited to interview somewhere. They said that when and if the money came through, they'd be in touch with the semi-finalists. I received an email saying that I made the cut. I guess it's decent news.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
scampster

« Reply #13163 on: January 07, 2013, 9:14:39 PM »

This is a really quiet year for me in terms of positions to which I can feasibly apply. I was invited to interview somewhere. They said that when and if the money came through, they'd be in touch with the semi-finalists. I received an email saying that I made the cut. I guess it's decent news.

You need to sound more excited than that when you interview!

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
msparticularity

« Reply #13164 on: January 07, 2013, 9:34:53 PM »

Hmm--I'm not so sure. Interviewing for a job that may or may not exist just sounds weird to me.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

westcoastgirl

« Reply #13165 on: January 08, 2013, 1:31:21 AM »

Hmm--I'm not so sure. Interviewing for a job that may or may not exist just sounds weird to me.

I'm sorry about the confusion. When I interviewed at the conference, they told me they'd be in touch as soon as they were able to secure the line. I'm guessing that this occurred recently. My lack of enthusiasm relates to the logistics of the job; it's just beyond where I would feel comfortable commuting.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
lohai0

« Reply #13166 on: January 08, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »

I'm sorry about the confusion. When I interviewed at the conference, they told me they'd be in touch as soon as they were able to secure the line. I'm guessing that this occurred recently. My lack of enthusiasm relates to the logistics of the job; it's just beyond where I would feel comfortable commuting.

Congrats anyway on on a campus interview!

My phone interview went ok. I did stumble a little on the mission question. I had a nice answer prepped, but then everything went blank for a second.

kiana

« Reply #13167 on: January 08, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »

My phone interview went ok. I did stumble a little on the mission question. I had a nice answer prepped, but then everything went blank for a second.

Hurrah!

If robbers ever broke into my house to search for money, I'd just laugh and search with them.
merinoblue

« Reply #13168 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:38 PM »

Congrats on a successful interview!

Defender of whimsy
msparticularity

« Reply #13169 on: January 08, 2013, 2:06:34 PM »

Hurrah!

That happens to me sometimes--especially when I forget to breathe during a tense situation like a phone interview.

Fingers crossed!

Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 1011
  Print  

Jump to: