• May 28, 2016
May 28, 2016, 11:54:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 1433 1434 [1435] 1436 1437 ... 1966
  Print  
Author Topic: "favorite" student e-mails  (Read 4768547 times)
yemaya
Clown-hating
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #21510 on: January 08, 2013, 8:38:59 pm »

I think I figured out the Georgia college in question with the intrusive phone policy, and I have a friend who works there. This person reports that the college does, indeed, issue a cell phone to each faculty member, and that they are encouraged to give the number to students and to answer calls outside of business hours. However, the college can't really enforce this, and apparently doesn't try to. This person reports that the phone issued to them is a piece of crap and that it hasn't seen any use in a long time.

I think I figured out who it is.  And now I know never ever to apply for a job there!

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
prokraz

« Reply #21511 on: January 08, 2013, 8:41:50 pm »

But, but...my friend is really nice, I swear!
yemaya
Clown-hating

« Reply #21512 on: January 08, 2013, 8:52:53 pm »

But, but...my friend is really nice, I swear!

I'm sure.  I just can't imagine working in that sort of climate.  Even the borderline diploma mill I teach at doesn't assign its faculty cell phones...yet anyway.  For now, they're content to torment us with pointless mandatory "training" sessions.  Hopefully, they won't read these boards and get any ideas.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 8:53:36 pm by yemaya » Logged

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
drnobody

« Reply #21513 on: January 08, 2013, 9:18:16 pm »

I don't give my cell out, but I could probably handle a business cell (that was not mandated to me). I did have a mandated cell to students happen at an R2, but it was a special grant program not a departmental policy, but it's the texting that I don't want. I don't text my own friends. I just don't care for it at all, so the idea of a texting generation thinking they can just text me anytime makes my head spin like a bad horror movie.

No, thank you.
karmann

« Reply #21514 on: January 08, 2013, 9:43:37 pm »

I stopped giving my cell number out when a student called after midnight the night before the final to ask me whether or not a 20-second musical example was going to be on the final, so she'd know whether to study it.  At most, it would have required three hearings (so one minute total) to know that example cold, yet it seemed like a better idea to call. 
burnie

« Reply #21515 on: January 08, 2013, 9:57:21 pm »

All of my graduate teaching assistants put their cell numbers on the syllabus (I don't ask them to, that's just how they roll), and they have my cell number for class emergencies.  So if a student has a wacky question at odd hours the GTAs will text or email it to me knowing I'll reply when I get it (a few times they got questions when they ran into students at a bar...while I was at the bar up the road.  Good times).  I enjoy the filter, and the TAs don't seem to mind.  I keep telling them they don't have to provide their phone numbers, but they like it.

Corporate America wants people who seem like bold risk takers, but never actually do anything.  - Barney Stinson
remylebeau

« Reply #21516 on: January 09, 2013, 11:32:25 am »

I'm a lucky adjunct in that I share an office, and have an office phone, but I teach at night and am never in the office during the day. I've given my cell phone out to students the past few years and never received a phone call or text. Obviously, I don't teach as many students, or have advising, so YMMV, but I've found that students prefer to use e-mail to communicate.
pathogen

« Reply #21517 on: January 09, 2013, 12:59:21 pm »

Email exchange, yesterday.

Student:
Dr. Pathogen,
My name is Stu Dent, and I would like to attend your class this semester. I need to register for late registration, which is tomorrow morning at 8 am. Can you do an override? Thanks.

Me:
I teach three classes. Which one do you want to get into?

Student:
So sorry for not being more clear! I want your Basketweaving class at 2pm.

.....I teach two different basketweaving classes at 2 pm on different days of the week. Sigh.                                                                                 
dr_evil
Completely Imaginary

« Reply #21518 on: January 10, 2013, 2:35:04 pm »

I thought it was bad enough when I had the student that would frequently email late in the evening (after 9pm) and then complain when I didn't answer before the morning.  No way in hell would I have given this person a phone number.  For the students who think it's an emergency, I have this T-shirt.

Wheeeeee! You go, oh evilicious one.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #21519 on: January 10, 2013, 4:55:40 pm »

I thought it was bad enough when I had the student that would frequently email late in the evening (after 9pm) and then complain when I didn't answer before the morning.  No way in hell would I have given this person a phone number.  For the students who think it's an emergency, I have this T-shirt.

I put this into my syllabus quiz. 

1. What should you do if I haven't answered your email after 30 minutes? Correct answer: WAIT.

2. What should you do if I haven't answered your email after 48 hours? Correct answer: resend with a polite inquiry, because it may be caught in a spam filter.

It warmed my little grinchy heart that so many of them got #1 right.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #21520 on: January 10, 2013, 6:03:02 pm »

I have this one.  Same idea.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
janewales

« Reply #21521 on: January 10, 2013, 9:43:03 pm »

This one is a genuine favourite. I'm at home with a vile cold, but I struggled out of bed long enough to post summary notes from the week's lectures for my first-year survey course. Imagine my delight to receive the following a few minutes ago:

"I just wanted to let you know that your lectures and notes are perfect - concise, clear and to the point. It's a pleasure to be enrolled in your class!"

Melt, melt.
barcrossliar
I guess anyone can be a

« Reply #21522 on: January 10, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »

I, OTOH, got one "tell me where I can get a cheaper book"  (Sorry, not your personal shopper), one "I'll be on a family vacation and will miss day one, what should I do?" and one "I'm in your basketweaving course and want to know what book to get.  Also, who teaches my lab?"  Need I mention that:
1. I teach multiple BW courses
2. The book info is on the CMS
3. There are multiple sections of BW lab and I don't know which one she's in or who teaches it.  Yes I could look it up, but so can she.

Every educated person's not a plumb greenhorn.

"where whining mendeth nothing, wherefore whine?"--R.L. Stevenson

+-LR is wise. Listen.
shamu

« Reply #21523 on: January 11, 2013, 8:55:11 am »

Last semester, I got this e-mail regarding a very quick and easy on-line activity on the due date:

I'm sorry, but I don't have internet access right now.

STUDENT

Sent from my iPride device

Naturally, I changed the name of the device.

galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #21524 on: January 11, 2013, 10:42:29 am »

Last semester, I got this e-mail regarding a very quick and easy on-line activity on the due date:

I'm sorry, but I don't have internet access right now.

STUDENT

Sent from my iPride device

Naturally, I changed the name of the device.

They could be on a 3G network with very few bars, so their connectivity is crappy.

What gets me are the students who send emails with such tag lines complaining about how they can't afford to buy the lab manual or textbook.  One such student actually had the chutzpah to show-off his new iPad to to his classmates one day.

Pages: 1 ... 1433 1434 [1435] 1436 1437 ... 1966
  Print  

Jump to: