• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:59:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Posters Who Are Passive Aggressive  (Read 5585 times)
kiana
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 1:22:15 AM »

Piled, that was not an actual accusation of you being independently wealthy. That was a (rather sarcastic, yes) response to your comment of "Some of us follow interests rather than markets.  You have to be interested in what you do a Ph. D. in. " which was pretty snarky itself. For most people who are not independently wealthy, being able to obtain a job where they can use the degree they spent several years working towards is also of importance.

If robbers ever broke into my house to search for money, I'd just laugh and search with them.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 9:14:48 AM »

How much time does it take to write 11,000 to 15,000 posts?

Looky there, a math question.

The fora software allows people to post every 30 seconds.  For games like Free Association or Answers and Questions, thirty seconds is plenty of time to read the last entries and type a response. 

So 15000 posts*0.5 minutes/post=7500 minutes

7500 minutes*1 hour/60 minutes*1 day/24 hours=5.2 days.

Thus, technically, one could write 15 000 posts in 5.2 days.  I generally require something like 100 hours to write a paper after the research has been done so that's 5.2 days*24 hours/day*1 paper/100 hours=1.3 papers I could have written with that time.

Now, that's an extreme case for people who only play games or make terse comments.  I, for example, have both a large post count and a reputation for writing lengthy posts.  I average a couple hours a day here.  However, I've done that for five years. 

What else could I have done with that time?  Well, I gave up my daily newspaper reading habit and had my kid playing at my feet instead of spending long weekend afternoons and evenings doing things that are not kid friendly.

Sure, I could have done a lot of scholarly things in that time.  However, that wouldn't have helped me get the mentoring I needed to excel in the classroom and at service activities.  Publishing more would not have prepared me to deal with the students I have coming from very different backgrounds.  Publishing more would not have made me aware of the differences in fields so that I can have some perspective as I serve on college-wide committees next to my humanities and fine arts colleagues.  Publishing more wouldn't have provided me with a community where I can ask a question day or night and have a range of useful answers within 24 hours (often within two hours).  One or two physical mentors cannot take the place of hundreds of people who are ready to give advice, kick around ideas, and/or point out different ways of approaching the problems.

As much as the trope is to publish, publish, publish, many academic jobs do have substantial teaching and service components.  Doing the background reading and research in how to excel in those areas can pay huge career dividends instead of reinventing the wheel all the time.  I consider most of my fora time well spent and helpful to my career.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
dr_prephd

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »

What Polly said. Also, even academics are allowed "down time." So I surf the fora instead of watching TV. Big whoop. I can guarantee I'd spend a couple hours a day goofing off on something, so it might as well be the fora.

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »

OP, you do know that Polly_Mer's real name is Harriet Klausner, don't you?

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »

OP, you do know that Polly_Mer's real name is Harriet Klausner, don't you?

You promised you wouldn't tell!  No cookies for you this week.

However, that brings up the fact that just because some people can't read or type as fast as other people doesn't mean everyone is limited to the slowest person.  As I wait for my simulations to finish so I can analyze them (and some of those simulations take months to complete), I have to do something.  I choose to be here instead of hiking in the hills (favorite of the national lab folks who do what I do) or write another proposal to fund research I won't have time to do because the computers are only so fast.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
prof_twocents
Random Academic

Did I miss anything important?

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 1:33:32 PM »

How much time does it take to write 11,000 to 15,000 posts?  You could probably do a lot of productive and scholarly activities in that time frame like write a professional journal article.  I wonder, if some of these people are posting when they could be helping students?   

Having just read the most recent issue of a top journal in my field, I can safely say that those authors would have been better off writing Chronicle forum posts rather than embarrassing themselves with terrible articles.
bud04
I was preparing to prepare but.....

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 1:54:07 PM »

How much time does it take to write 11,000 to 15,000 posts?  You could probably do a lot of productive and scholarly activities in that time frame like write a professional journal article.  I wonder, if some of these people are posting when they could be helping students?   

Having just read the most recent issue of a top journal in my field, I can safely say that those authors would have been better off writing Chronicle forum posts rather than embarrassing themselves with terrible articles.

So true. So true.

We ain't all that perceptive. If it's a problem, we go out to the woods and shoot it.
                                           Prytania3
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 3:53:38 PM »

Piled, that was not an actual accusation of you being independently wealthy. That was a (rather sarcastic, yes) response to your comment of "Some of us follow interests rather than markets.  You have to be interested in what you do a Ph. D. in. " which was pretty snarky itself. For most people who are not independently wealthy, being able to obtain a job where they can use the degree they spent several years working towards is also of importance.

Indeed. In fact, one might consider it to be passive-aggressive to suggest (with an air of authority) that someone else should pursue an area of graduate study when the job market in said area is truly dire. 

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
piledhigheranddeeper

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 5:40:33 PM »

I really do not see how that would be passive-aggressive.  A lot can change including markets from the time one enters a doctoral program and actually completes it. 

Sarcasm: a sharp often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain - Merriam-Webster

"In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes" - Dictionary.com (See irony)
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 5:46:05 PM »

Piled, the forums are what they are. The vast majority of posters are helpful and courteous, and that includes most of us (I hope) with high post counts. A few are snarky and rude. Others alternate between the two.

There is a lot to be learned here, if you read, learn the norms, and take the forums for what they are. Or you can make a post of blanket condemnation of everyone with a high post count, alienate yourself from a useful source of professional mentoring, and go your way. You choose.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 5:47:46 PM »

And in the meantime, a very merry new year's eve to you!

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 7:24:42 PM »

Truth is--you get a lot wider audience posting on the CHE than most journals. Anyway, journals are not my scene. As for helping students, I don't have students in January--and there is a surfeit of great ideas on these fora for teaching.

Oh, and the other thing--this *is* a community. A lot of us know each other--a lot of us have been posting here a long time. There isn't a question to big or small that can't be answered by the collective wisdom of the forumites.

But hey--it's like you came into a party where everyone knows each other and said, "You all suck."

Perhaps you should read Dale Carnegie's book How to Win Friends and Influence People.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 4:48:19 PM »

I really do not see how that would be passive-aggressive.  A lot can change including markets from the time one enters a doctoral program and actually completes it. 

Yes, but there are also long-term trends and changes in accreditation to consider. I suggest you hang around here a bit and do some reading about the job market before you go around blithely assuring people that their interest is all that matters in determining what field to enter--and whether to pursue graduate study at all.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »

They also corrected my grammar (less vs. fewer).  The rules even state that is rude.  

Last week, my neighbor came over to my house.  He is a carpenter.  He wanted to take a look at the framing sill, and then he told us which of our walls were the load-bearing ones.  I'm willing to bet he does that in every house he enters. 

Many of us get paid to correct grammar, and some of us even enjoy the task. 
spinnaker

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:33 AM »

The person who attacked me accused me of being independently wealthy.

That would have been aggressive against your father, not you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:24:59 AM by spinnaker » Logged

"I never agree with Spinnaker, but..."
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: