• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1011
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2176876 times)
histchick

« Reply #11955 on: April 30, 2012, 7:58:09 PM »

I think I've officially given up all hope of landing an academic job. After three years of being on the market, 2 ABD and 1 with degree in hand, I can safely say I've struck out. I'm not adjuncting again - don't have an opportunity to, nor can I afford to. Hopefully my husband will be able to find a job once he finishes his program this summer, yet we are both unemployed as of the end of this week. And, we have a baby due any moment. This really sucks. I guess I need to visit the Leaving Academe thread, or find something else to do with my life.

Oh data, I'm sorry to hear that.

Me too, data.  This has to be a scary time for you both, though I send you my best wishes for the new arrival!

data5112

« Reply #11956 on: April 30, 2012, 8:21:35 PM »

Thanks for the support, corny and histchick. I will let you know if by some miraculous turn of events I do end up with an academic job.

Histchick, sorry you're experiencing the same thing. Let me know if you want to start a sustainable commune of scholars and their soon-to-be overly educated progeny. I'll happily lend a green thumb to the effort, and spend my days basking Vitamin D production instead of here, slowly depressing away at my computer.

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
leobloom
Where Planted
Distinguished Senior Member

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #11957 on: April 30, 2012, 8:55:14 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(sending good vibes to data and histchick)
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #11958 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:25 PM »

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread. I am in the faculty job search process from a top engineering school. I have applied to 12 Assistant Professor positions. I have been rejected from 4 of them. I went to an interview in late Jan and I was contacted by the chair of the search committee and the head of the school to discuss the detail of the offer. After agreeing on the details of the offer and when they wanted to send me the official letter, the administration put a hold on new hiring until they finish their budget review. It has been 7 weeks since they told me that they will get back to me when the status is cleared. On the other hand, I have not heard back from 7 other schools that I have applied to. 2 of them are my dream schools. One of my dream schools sent me the "thanks for playing" email in late January, BUT, they sent a follow up email in late Feb indicating that " you are still in the game and sorry for the confusion...please update your documents...we will continue the process in early APRIL" ...I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what would be the chance of getting an interview in May?...I am getting stressed out...I would appreciate any feedback or comment.

I have had similar experiences and yes, hiring can happen in May or even June or even July. Academic is weird.

Why have you only applied to 12 places?

Love your neighbor.
scampster

« Reply #11959 on: May 01, 2012, 6:18:11 AM »

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread. I am in the faculty job search process from a top engineering school. I have applied to 12 Assistant Professor positions. I have been rejected from 4 of them. I went to an interview in late Jan and I was contacted by the chair of the search committee and the head of the school to discuss the detail of the offer. After agreeing on the details of the offer and when they wanted to send me the official letter, the administration put a hold on new hiring until they finish their budget review. It has been 7 weeks since they told me that they will get back to me when the status is cleared. On the other hand, I have not heard back from 7 other schools that I have applied to. 2 of them are my dream schools. One of my dream schools sent me the "thanks for playing" email in late January, BUT, they sent a follow up email in late Feb indicating that " you are still in the game and sorry for the confusion...please update your documents...we will continue the process in early APRIL" ...I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what would be the chance of getting an interview in May?...I am getting stressed out...I would appreciate any feedback or comment.

I have had similar experiences and yes, hiring can happen in May or even June or even July. Academic is weird.

If you are looking at just R1s in the US, in my engineering field, you could easily only have 12 jobs to apply for in a year. I think it takes an unsuccessful year on the job market to realize you may have to broaden your scope.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
histchick

« Reply #11960 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »

Thanks for the support, corny and histchick. I will let you know if by some miraculous turn of events I do end up with an academic job.

Histchick, sorry you're experiencing the same thing. Let me know if you want to start a sustainable commune of scholars and their soon-to-be overly educated progeny. I'll happily lend a green thumb to the effort, and spend my days basking Vitamin D production instead of here, slowly depressing away at my computer.

data, I think you've just created a idea that supports both service learning and sustainability.  Ergo, your CV is golden :-)

amceknt

« Reply #11961 on: May 01, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »

Thanks octoprof for your note. It is encouraging to know that hiring can take place in May and June. Can you please tell me more about your similar experience?

I only applied to top tier engineering schools. My package was considered to be very strong by my advisor and other senior faculty members in my area. I had a belief that I will be a very competitive candidate. 
westcoastgirl

« Reply #11962 on: May 01, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »

I think I've officially given up all hope of landing an academic job. After three years of being on the market, 2 ABD and 1 with degree in hand, I can safely say I've struck out. I'm not adjuncting again - don't have an opportunity to, nor can I afford to. Hopefully my husband will be able to find a job once he finishes his program this summer, yet we are both unemployed as of the end of this week. And, we have a baby due any moment. This really sucks. I guess I need to visit the Leaving Academe thread, or find something else to do with my life.

Data, I'm so sorry. Do you think you might toss in some apps next round? And congrats on the baby! Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl?

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #11963 on: May 01, 2012, 2:16:40 PM »

It is a crappy, depressing feeling.  For what it's worth, I'm still holding out hope for you.  But I'm also always around to help you brainstorm non-academic options if you're interested.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
bcohlan1

« Reply #11964 on: May 01, 2012, 2:29:24 PM »

Oh data, that sucks.  I'll continue to hold out hope for you as well.  Congrats on the new baby, and good luck with employment prospects wherever they lie.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #11965 on: May 01, 2012, 2:33:23 PM »

data, I am wishing for peace and fulfillment to reach you.

And, of course, best of luck to us all!

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
yeastie

« Reply #11966 on: May 02, 2012, 5:46:52 PM »

I got the nod for the on campus interview (had the phone interview last week). I'm very pleased.
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #11967 on: May 02, 2012, 6:19:18 PM »

I got the nod for the on campus interview (had the phone interview last week). I'm very pleased.

Congrats, labrat!

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
histchick

« Reply #11968 on: May 03, 2012, 3:59:18 PM »

Right back at you, leobloom, and congrats to labrat! 

Heck, things are moving again at our place.  The TT position for which I am being considered just may be in play after all.  Go figure...with fingers crossed!
data5112

« Reply #11969 on: May 03, 2012, 9:12:43 PM »

Right back at you, leobloom, and congrats to labrat! 

Heck, things are moving again at our place.  The TT position for which I am being considered just may be in play after all.  Go figure...with fingers crossed!

Well this is great news! When you're done with your fairy dust, will you sprinkle some over here?

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1011
  Print  

Jump to: