Additional teaching being tacked on

(1/2) > >>

listenandreflect:
I am on research leave this year. Leave was granted after a lot of humming and hawing because this is a teaching intensive place and I teach several sections of a highly enrolled course (BTW I am tenured. My research and publication hit near full-stop a couple of years after joining this univ; teaching 8-9 courses per year and being on umpteen committees made that a huge challenge). Due to the promise of collaborations with some really top scholars in my field at the place where I am on leave, I inquired if another year of leave was even a possibility. As expected it was turned down. I did not push it. Now my chair has informed me that my teaching load has been increased for next year ("the university is moving in that direction" is the reason). I cannot help but feel that I am being punished for being on leave and working on my research. Any ideas on how to deal with this situation would be invaluable.

ruralguy:
1. reduce number of preps
2. try grant buy-outs of time (but a lot of federal agencies are becoming reluctant to pay for research done during academic year)
3. arrange another leave in 3 years, if possible (or maybe it will be sabbatical time by then?)
4. co-teach when possible to share the load
5. try to get load reduction for administrative duties, if your school does that.

Do check to see what others are doing (in terms of load) and what your handbook says.

hegemony:
Is everyone's load being increased, or just yours?  The chair should be able to tell you that.  If others' loads are being increased, that should be made clear.  But they all should be increased at the same pace.

And what were the conditions of your leave?  Regular salary, or sabbatical salary?  Do you have the conditions in writing?  And you you have a union?

listenandreflect:
I was on an unpaid leave of absence.

hegemony:
Then it is double important to find out how your increased workload fits into what is being asked of other people.  It needs to be commensurate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page