A case of tenured but not promoted...needs perspective

(1/5) > >>

flippin_hot_curry:
P&T at my SLAC is veiled in secrecy but it's pretty clear that my dept chair is the reason I was denied promotion, in fact I have good reason to believe this person ripped me to shreds in their interview with the P&T committee.  Because of the way P&T works at my institution I have no access to the whatever the chair's testimony was and no way to respond to it in this year's P&T cycle. 

Now if I want to go up for promotion in a year or two, i was advised to make a written plan to improve on the area in which I was dinged for promotion and have Dept Chair sign off on the plan.  All I have to go on for this is this year's performance review, which is filled with utter nonsense about this area (demonstrably false utter nonsense), and the only thing I can figure out to do is rebut the review and refuse to sign the original.  (I'm assuming these fabrications were what s/he told the P&T committee.)   

On the other hand, I have the *possibility* of making the switch to 12 month contract in admin. 

I am happy to have tenure, really I am, especially in the same town as my SO.  But I am really not sure of what my next step should be.  Do I pursue trying to get promotion with a  hostile dept chair in my way?  Do I stay a tenured assistant for who knows how long and steer clear of my dept chair for the foreseeable future? Do I jump ship for a 12 month post even though I really, really love teaching and want the summer to pursue my research?

I just feel exhausted, demoralized, and unmotivated after this whole saga and would welcome any perspective or advice from more experienced forum members. 

geonerd:
I'm sorry you are going through a tough time.

Not knowing the culture of your institution, I don't know what to suggest, other than offer my sympathies. Perhaps speak with a trusted senior colleague or speak with the Dean about your next step.
Good luck.

larryc:
What is the term of your chair's appointment? Is he there for another year, for five, for life?

This is really a situation where the advice of a trusted senior colleague would be valuable. It is hard for any of us in internetville to know the lay of the land at your institution.

mleok:
Let me say that to me, tenure is the brass ring, and promotion while a nice thing to have, is typically less of a pressing issue.

Certainly it is bruising to the ego to be denied a promotion, but to put things into perspective, you now have a much more secure position in the department. From a pragmatic point of view, what are you really missing out by not being an associate professor this year? Perhaps there's a modest salary increase, but coupled with that is typically an increased expectation for service, and the ability to serve on some of the more onerous committees.

There was a thread here about associate professors who were contemplating not going up for promotion to full professor, which discusses many of the concerns that caused them to take pause. If it's just a short delay, and you'll eventually get promoted then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If however it's a more permanent issue, and your chair seems like he'll be hanging on for quite a bit longer, than I would be more concerned.

flippin_hot_curry:
Quote from: mleok on January 30, 2013,  8:42:11 PM

Let me say that to me, tenure is the brass ring, and promotion while a nice thing to have, is typically less of a pressing issue.

Certainly it is bruising to the ego to be denied a promotion, but to put things into perspective, you now have a much more secure position in the department. From a pragmatic point of view, what are you really missing out by not being an associate professor this year? Perhaps there's a modest salary increase, but coupled with that is typically an increased expectation for service, and the ability to serve on some of the more onerous committees.

There was a thread here about associate professors who were contemplating not going up for promotion to full professor, which discusses many of the concerns that caused them to take pause. If it's just a short delay, and you'll eventually get promoted then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If however it's a more permanent issue, and your chair seems like he'll be hanging on for quite a bit longer, than I would be more concerned.

Thanks. Yeah my ego is a bit bruised I admit but I try not to lose sight of the fact that I got tenure. I have some lunch dates next week with a couple of senior colleagues so I will sound them out.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page