• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 2:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: that half-timer  (Read 12699 times)
oldfullprof
Ridiculous
Distinguished Senior Member

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »

I actually allow people to glide in late on their longboards or whatever.  If someone leaves early, I assume that they had a good reason for doing so. 

One disadvantage we have is that we can't lock classroom doors.  I wish we could in this the age of VA Tech and so on, but we can't.

Taste o' the Sixties
monsterx

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 2:28:16 PM »

It does happen that certain students are chronically late because they have a previous class which is really far away.  I'm not saying this is a reason for overlooking it, but it does happen. 
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 4:21:44 PM »

It does happen that certain students are chronically late because they have a previous class which is really far away.  I'm not saying this is a reason for overlooking it, but it does happen. 

That may be true on some campuses, but that's just not possible on my very small campus.  Even driving from the CC in the next city, a person could get here and find parking in under twenty minutes.  I know because I've done it.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
ptarmigan
grad student & chief dork dumpling

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 5:14:36 PM »

I had a student leave midway through class the other day, then realize he had left his bottle of Coke in the classroom, then come back in and get it and leave immediately again. I still didn't say anything. I am the hugest wimp of classroom management ever.

He's on my roster, but if I've taught him anything, it isn't math.
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 5:21:00 PM »

I had a student leave midway through class the other day, then realize he had left his bottle of Coke in the classroom, then come back in and get it and leave immediately again. I still didn't say anything. I am the hugest wimp of classroom management ever.

Next time that happens, just say, "You know, I already spat in it."

pgryffindor

Why is all the rum gone?

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 6:14:44 PM »

Me too. I really need to be tougher. I showed a video in class the other day and the same student got up twice to "use the bathroom" in the middle of it. I was really angry but didn't say a word. Perhaps I should have emailed him after class and spoken to him about it then.

Or, there is the student that arrives late all the time because:

A. "Sorry I was working on a scientific computing project."
B. "Sorry I had to finish up a test."
C. "Sorry I had to go talk to my adviser."

I need a stronger backbone. Not this wiggling pile of jello I currently have. UGGGHHHHHHH.

Thank gosh i will have my first semester under my belt in 2 weeks.

My Hogwarts letter got lost in the mail.
heynonnynonnymouse

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 6:35:32 PM »

When my students give me that excuse, unless they are first semester freshmen (and generally our advising staff doesn't do this to first semester students, either), I tell them it's their responsibility to schedule classes in walkable distance from one another in the 15 minute "passing" period. It's part of my "first day speech" - I ask them to talk to me about it if they think there's any chance of "regular" lateness, and I advise them to find another section of my class. As there are 20+ every semester (sections of the course I teach, that is) they should have no problem.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 8:02:50 AM »

Me too. I really need to be tougher. I showed a video in class the other day and the same student got up twice to "use the bathroom" in the middle of it. I was really angry but didn't say a word. Perhaps I should have emailed him after class and spoken to him about it then.

I might let the first one go, but I would follow that student out of the classroom for the second trip.

"Stu Dent, do not come back into the classroom until the end of class.  You're disrupting other people's education.  Take care of whatever you need to do and come back at <time> when you won't be disruptive."

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
shrek

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 9:18:50 AM »

In my first job, one evening before my class I noticed a couple of students sitting in the hallway outside an open door leaning forward and taking notes. I asked that that was about. Turns out they were students who arrived late and the professor did not allow students past the door if they were late.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

For me, much of this stuff goes to my desire to avoid control issues with students over rules.  Because I can be personally dominant in a friendly way, I don't tend to impose or implement complicated rules.  That's why I'm usually pumping for smaller syllabi, fewer rubrics, etc.  The class is more, I think, about the quality of presentation and face to face interaction.

Does this lead to a situation that's more chaotic?  No, it doesn't seem to.  Is the situaltion more "unfair?"  Maybe, but since I give leniency and special dispensations to almost anyone, anyone can get a reasonable break.  I do come down harder on the one-month-in-Aruba-at-midsemester types, however.

Too much control underbrush can lead to a legalistic focus rather than a focus on the material.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:22:23 AM by oldfullprof » Logged

Taste o' the Sixties
refe8629

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »

I announce at the first class that they are adults; if they need to come late or leave early, o.k. If they need to talk on their phone, please step out in the hall, but it will count as leaving early. If they do not come, o.k. Unless the absence or the late arrival/early departure is cleared in advance with me for a reasonable reason, I will not allow make up work for that day. It will count as an absence, as they are missing some or all of a class. Three of any reduces their grade one letter grade. I rarely have absences or anything else not cleared in advance.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 1:44:53 PM »

Too much control underbrush can lead to a legalistic focus rather than a focus on the material.  

That's true, but for those of us teaching small classes in poorly designed rooms, allowing people to wander in and out when doing so blocks the board for most of the seats is unacceptable.

I lock the door to prevent the blocking during the few minutes when everyone ought to be looking at the board.  If I were teaching three hundred people and had a door in the back so that people could slip in, then I wouldn't have to be death on "be on time or wait for a natural break".

But, I'm teaching classes of 10-20 people and placement of the only door means people must pass in front of the board and basically do-si-do with me as I lecture.  That is not right for the people who managed to be on time and sit still.  If people want to wander around when we're doing small group stuff and the group doesn't fire them for not contributing enough, then so be it.  I don't care what side of the door people are on (I have no required attendance), but don't make watching lecture hard on the rest of the class.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 1:45:19 PM by polly_mer » Logged

cirronimbus

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 6:57:03 PM »

...hm, interesting topic.
But please, let me ask - is it not horribly condescending to "lock" the door to the classroom - especially for the ones on the inside?! I know the average American college kid is quite young and they often seem to be immature, but is it not much better to actually treat them as adults. They will catch up on the concepts fast. This should be particularly easy in small classes - you know who is walking out early and can send them an email to call them for a meeting.
Frankly, if a professor or lecturer had EVER locked the classroom door while I was sitting in class (undergrad or grad class doesn't matter at what stage in my student days), I would have felt terribly insulted and in turn would have stood up and demanded to be LET OUT immediately - followed by a quick walk to the deans office to file a complaint. I would never accept to be locked in, and sorry by the way, but the argument that the door can be opened from the inside wouldn't cut it. It's the professors gesture that counts.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 6:58:25 PM »

Oh good, I get to break out my lawn chair!

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
cirronimbus

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 7:18:04 PM »

...hehe - may I join? (pulls up a really nice deck-chair and hands over a drink of your choice)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: