NOT Digital Natives

(1/16) > >>

blackadder:
Born from my frustration this week with the so-called digital natives who really do not understand how things work.

Students have an assignment to find 2 research articles. NOT review articles. Either qual or quant. Since they are currently in their research course and may not fully understand yet the differences, I offered to double check their chosen articles to ensure they qualify for the assignment.

Most have emailed me their articles via weblink. Fine, except that if you log into the library databases using your ID and password, I cannot see the article!

And why do they now know about Document Properties?

educator1:
We are certainly not yet to the point where "digital native" implies anything more than an advanced skill level in typing out SMS or tweets!
My students demonstrate an ever increasing variance from those who can type in equation editor and have even more advanced Excel skills than I do (and I'm pretty good) to those who can't make a table in Word and don't know what Excel is!

systeme_d_:
"Digital native" means they know how to text on their phones, and they know how to use Facebook on their computers.  Many of them also know how to illegally download music onto their smartphones, and how to use Facebook on their phones as well.

They absolutely do not know how to create a footnote in MS Word until I show them how.  At least twice.

baleful_regards:
Quote from: systeme_d_ on February 08, 2013,  6:50:31 PM

"Digital native" means they know how to text on their phones, and they know how to use Facebook on their computers.  Many of them also know how to illegally download music onto their smartphones, and how to use Facebook on their phones as well.

They absolutely do not know how to create a footnote in MS Word until I show them how.  At least twice.

They are also mystified and amazed at this thing called "Google Scholar".

So not digital natives, just people who have lived around technology that they remediate for basic use.

geonerd:
Quote from: blackadder on February 08, 2013,  6:29:35 PM

And why do they now know about Document Properties?

My bad.

I busted a pair of cheaters and my evidence to the conduct board included the document properties showing Student A's name inside the file that Student B swore was his own.

EVERYONE in my program now knows about document properties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page