• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 7:48:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Demo textbooks  (Read 4231 times)
basil_midwest

« on: May 02, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »

Ok, this is a total newb question.

I'm beginning a TT job next Fall and would like to get demo copies of a few textbooks widely used for my course. Is it kosher for me to contact a sales rep and ask for demo copies to be sent to my office? If so, am I setting myself up for a lifetime of pestering from the publishing companies? 
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »

Yes and yes. Yes, it's fine to call and ask for a desk copy, and yes, they will be calling and sending emails for the rest of your life.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
traductio
Unassuming

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 2:01:16 PM »

Yes and yes. Yes, it's fine to call and ask for a desk copy, and yes, they will be calling and sending emails for the rest of your life.

In my experience, they call and pester whether you contact them or not. And fill my mailbox at school with books I don't want or need. (Occasionally, by accident or coincidence, they send a book I'd like to have on my shelf anyway.)

"alors comment disposer de ce qui est mort en vous désormais? Tout simplement en s'accommodant de l'irréversible constat de décès. Ensuite prendre ce qui reste, lui fixer un itinéraire" Daniel Bélanger, "Round 8"
sprout

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 8:08:56 PM »

Your new colleagues can probably put you in touch with the sales reps for your school.  And they'll likely be more than happy to get their metaphorical hooks in you.  But I for one am more than happy to get shiny new textbooks and manuals to compare and get ideas from.  Putting up with the schmoozing and e-mails seems a fair tradeoff.

biologist_

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 4:15:11 PM »

Is it kosher for me to contact a sales rep and ask for demo copies to be sent to my office?

Many publishers have forms built into their web sites so that you can request demo copies without speaking to a sales rep.  You usually need to enter a course number and expected enrollment. 

Most of the pestering from sales reps comes in the form of email, so it's fairly easy to disregard.

laurel_knx

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 9:09:43 PM »

Is it kosher for me to contact a sales rep and ask for demo copies to be sent to my office?

Many publishers have forms built into their web sites so that you can request demo copies without speaking to a sales rep.  You usually need to enter a course number and expected enrollment. 

Most of the pestering from sales reps comes in the form of email, so it's fairly easy to disregard.

+1. I've only requested using online forms. The only complication is if you can't yet ship to your new school. Did you mean your current office or new office? I had a few book requests go unanswered, I think because my mailing address at the time wasn't anywhere near the school.
luckychance

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 7:33:47 AM »

Each publisher will have a link so that you can find your local representative. Instead of filling out the annoying forms for each textbook I want, I just e-mail the rep indicating what books I would like to look at. I then save the rep's e-mail address so that I have it for next time. Sometimes I'll just write a reply like "I'm teaching Advanced Basket-weaving next semester. I'm interested in examining the Smith and Johnson's textbook (insert ISBN) and would appreciate it if you could send me any other relevant textbooks you offer."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: