• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:46:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Applied to same department, SO has on-campus  (Read 8467 times)
philadelphonic

« on: February 26, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »

Hi, all, un-lurking for some advice on handling this tricky situation. My SO and I are coming out of the same Uni, in allied departments, and we both applied to a department with two positions open. He's PhD in Medieval Basketweaving, I'm ABD (scheduled for April) in World Basketweaving. The job ads each had specific desired specialties, which we have, and the same laundry list of various other "bonus" specialties and experience. I hit about 6/7 of those, he hit 2. He's made it through to an on-campus; I haven't got a nibble. But, I haven't gotten a rejection yet. According to the Wiki, they're still at Skype interview stage on the other position.

The dilemma is whether or not to mention anything to the SC, and if yes, when. Obviously this has the potential to solve our two-body right out of the gate. However, I don't want to jeopardize SO's chance at getting this position. I currently have an admin job I'm happy with (for now), which is only two hours away from this potential job. We could do the crash-pad commuting thing for a year, and try again next cycle. Sub-optimal, but far from the worst of situations.

I really want SO to get this job. He's had a good amount of interviews in the last few cycles, and he's got a solid back-up here (adjunct/full-time lecturer, depending on enrollment), but the constant uncertainty is wearing him down already. I'm afraid if he says anything about a two-body hire it'll jinx the whole thing. But it would be a fantastic fix for us - we love the area, the school is great - we'd be there for a long time if we both got hired. Any advice? Thanks!
charlesr

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »

Since it's not a deal-breaker I would not mention the situation until he has an offer.
philadelphonic

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 8:43:43 PM »

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. But any advice on how to actually broach the subject? I can't get past, "So, my SO would be totally perfect for that other open position! Hope you haven't already chucked that application!" Which PROBABLY won't get us very far, hehe!
philadelphonic

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

Bueller? ... Bueller?

Really, the campus visit went well, so what happens if they call next week with an offer? He listens to the terms they offer, politely says, "Thank you, I need to think about this and speak with my SO, I'll get back to you in the requested time frame" ... And then what?
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

If they call, review the various moving pieces of the offer, and say thank you, and how impressed you were with the department and how honored and humbled you feel by receiving the offer, and how you were very impressed by the students and the collegiality.  Everything really looks quite perfect.  Could you have some time to discuss it  with your SO who happens to teach Worldbasket weaving and will be defending in April.  S/he has applied for the position that was open back in November. Has that been filled?  What's the timeline for it?

(Take it from there.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: