• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:08:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: City-slicker visits the sticks.  (Read 244132 times)
emin123

« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2011, 9:23:15 AM »

Since Dr Jill has authored a couple of pieces for CHE, one must imagine that she knows of the existence of the Forum, and perhaps even lurks about on this very thread. Given the range of reactions to her recent article--admittedly skewed toward the negative end, but a range nonetheless--it would be of interest to hear from Dr. Jill on some of the points raised, dissected, and frothed over by forumites.
euro_trash
Nowhere man
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2011, 9:44:05 AM »

Yeah, Jill.  I dare you.  Come tell us more about your bigotry and the cultural Mecca where you reside. 

It's a woe-is-me echo chamber.
Euro_trash is blinded by his love for Endnote
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »

Yeah, Jill.  I dare you.  Come tell us more about your bigotry and the cultural Mecca where you reside. 

You're one to talk--have to live in Euuuurope.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »

I'm sure she can point out the problems with the idiom "cultural Mecca."

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »

Hey feel better, cutie!
I do feel pretty good today.  I hope that means I don't have that thing about which Prytania and Notaprof were worried.

The three of you have something?  I need to know more about this.

Taste o' the Sixties
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »

Since Dr Jill has authored a couple of pieces for CHE, one must imagine that she knows of the existence of the Forum, and perhaps even lurks about on this very thread. Given the range of reactions to her recent article--admittedly skewed toward the negative end, but a range nonetheless--it would be of interest to hear from Dr. Jill on some of the points raised, dissected, and frothed over by forumites.

You're new, yah?  No, this is a terrible, horrible, very bad idea.  If it's at all possible, it will make her look even worse.  It certainly won't make her feel any better.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
aprilmay

« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »

After learning a bit about the OP's career, I find the article slightly deceptive. She is a "consultant" and a "lecturer." I am not knocking consultants, although I do not know what she means, or lecturers, but the university does not list her so I assume it is not full time. The article is about how she could not stand to live in a certain area, but fails to mention that she never landed a permanent position. Discussion of this very real consequence was omitted. Of course, I do not know her job history and maybe she turned down a tt at Harvard, but I doubt it.

Readers need job seeking advice from people who have landed such positions or have learned something useful about the process, not people who seem to be explaining away why they did not get an offer or why they are better than some positions. Certainly the CHE does not need to have authors providing job advice when the very existence of that column will impede the author's future job searches.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »

You're new, yah?  No, this is a terrible, horrible, very bad idea.  If it's at all possible, it will make her look even worse.  It certainly won't make her feel any better.

See any of the adjunct threads on this particular board to see exactly how wise tuxedo_cat is on this matter.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2011, 1:00:18 PM »

After learning a bit about the OP's career, I find the article slightly deceptive. She is a "consultant" and a "lecturer." I am not knocking consultants, although I do not know what she means, or lecturers, but the university does not list her so I assume it is not full time. The article is about how she could not stand to live in a certain area, but fails to mention that she never landed a permanent position. Discussion of this very real consequence was omitted. Of course, I do not know her job history and maybe she turned down a tt at Harvard, but I doubt it.

Readers need job seeking advice from people who have landed such positions or have learned something useful about the process, not people who seem to be explaining away why they did not get an offer or why they are better than some positions. Certainly the CHE does not need to have authors providing job advice when the very existence of that column will impede the author's future job searches.

This is a great point. To run with this, it would be great to see an article from someone who's been on the job market for 3 or 4 years (which is becoming more common), who has had multiple interviews and finally landed a TT job. Tell us about the experiences of those many interviews and your insights into the different dimensions of good/bad fit; how your interviewing and job talks improved over time; what you learned to do differently; and your coping strategies for disappointment.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 1:01:07 PM by merinoblue » Logged

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2011, 1:18:55 PM »

After learning a bit about the OP's career, I find the article slightly deceptive. She is a "consultant" and a "lecturer." I am not knocking consultants . . .

Oh, please, don't restrain yourself.  My personal view of consultants is that they are essentially indistinguishable from pathological liars (this is from direct experience working with one). 

Then there is the other popular use of consultant to mean "I have no real employment but I spent all this time and money getting this degree which means that theoretically somebody might be willing to pay me for making use of what I learned.  But that doesn't necessarily happen in reality."

Certainly the CHE does not need to have authors providing job advice when the very existence of that column will impede create an embarrassing, insurmountable hurdle for the author's future job searches.

(just clarifying).  Yeah, this remains the most disturbing thing about the column in my view.  But what the hell.  I have quite a few friends who are unemployed History PhDs.  Less competition for them I guess.  Maybe she'll end up working in the editorial offices of CHE.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
aprilmay

« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2011, 1:33:50 PM »

Certainly the CHE does not need to have authors providing job advice when the very existence of that column will impede create an embarrassing, insurmountable hurdle for the author's future job searches.

(just clarifying).  Yeah, this remains the most disturbing thing about the column in my view.  But what the hell.  I have quite a few friends who are unemployed History PhDs.  Less competition for them I guess.  Maybe she'll end up working in the editorial offices of CHE.

What was the CHE thinking? They should have anticipated the negative response to her column and warned her of the damages to her career. She can take blame for her own words, yet I am disappointed in the Chronicle on this one.
emin123

« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2011, 3:13:18 PM »

Hmmm. I do see your actual point. Good to know that we agree that ideas, rather than personality defects, are the proper subject of discussion in a place like this.
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2011, 3:30:07 PM »

Maybe it is me, but I don't find the terms "city slicker" and "New Hampshire" going together.  The only city of any size is Manchester, which might have 100K population. 

In any case, at my ex-urban to rural-ish college, we sometimes need to make it very clear to "city slicker" interviewees that taking the bus in not really an option for getting here, but renting a car or getting picked up at the airport are about it.

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2011, 3:36:20 PM »

I thought "consultant" meant drug dealer. Oh wait. That's entrepreneur.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
fiona

« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2011, 3:40:35 PM »

There's a lot of hostility and ignorance and naivete in the postings here.

Being a consultant can be a fulltime and very well-paid job. It is not necessarily a fallback at all, nor a sign of failure. Consultants often/usually get to choose their employers and their hours, and they don't have to deal (as many of us do) with rebellious teenagers.

I also don't understand the objections to the CHE's publishing the original article. She wrote about what she thought, and her thoughts are not at all unique. Many people have similar geographical preferences. If they read her article and the responses, they'll know much more about how such preferences come across as prejudices. They'll also, ideally, think about whether they want to be in a profession that may require them to move to a place where they don't want to live.

The article writer provided a great public service, and she doesn't need to respond to or justify anything.

Rather, readers should thank her and praise her courage.

The Fiona

The Fiona or Them FionŠ or Fiona the Sublime

Professor of Thread Killing, Fiork University
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: