• February 9, 2016
February 09, 2016, 2:01:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: too many negative posts about students  (Read 159006 times)
sugaree
shakin' it since 2007 and only a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2010, 2:45:27 pm »

WOW! Grasshopper, you have single-handly dismissed every word I just wrote. Congratulations!
I will not be seeking your advice on higher education anytime soon.

Yeah, because the words you write make no sense to those of us who actually know what we're talking about. Because we have, you know, experience and everything (and not just unfounded "opinions").
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 2:45:59 pm by sugaree » Logged

where's the bourbon?
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2010, 2:52:13 pm »

So kemp, which professor do you think is hot? Why haven't your advances been acknowledged?

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2010, 3:00:46 pm »

... It is not the place where students get pats on the head for trying hard.  Go to a student forum for that.

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Furthermore, when/if you are ready to come back and talk to us as peers and not pocket lint, the appropriate entry is over there in the meet and greet... not here in the classroom.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2010, 3:02:51 pm »

Honestly, Kemp - do you think that perhaps our venting about students on occasion may have some element of truth to it?  Do you have any sense of the range of competencies we deal with in our classes?  Do you have any sense of the historical and sociological shifts in higher education that have caused/are causing some of the issues that we face on a day to day basis?  

I've read your previous posts and I have not seen indication that you have any substantive experience with what you're criticizing.  Why not go into a conversation with a goal to better understand the phenomenon?  How might you receive a different response if you had asked, "Why is it so and what am I missing, here?"  Otherwise you come off sounding like an irascible troll.  

I will sh!t kittens.

I'm adding kitten sh!tting to my grading policies.

Right, but you will need to word this in a way that identifies how your grading policy reflects the degree of students' mastery of the course requirements:

"Only students who are able to effectively present their warm, if comotose, bodies in class on a somewhat regular basis will earn the privilege of watching me sh!t kittens."  

How's that?  

theblondeassassin
Rootin' Tootin' Invigilatin'
Member-Moderator

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2010, 3:11:49 pm »

"Only students who are able to effectively present their warm, if comotose, bodies in class on a somewhat regular basis will earn the privilege of watching me sh!t kittens."  

I love it. It may replace "Every time a student turns in an essay late, a kitten dies." on my office whiteboard.

Plus, it would seriously annoy the andrex puppies.

My hovercraft is full of eels, so I don't suppose snails in a fish tank is so very strange.
moodymoodie
Zeal vs. Real

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2010, 3:16:48 pm »

How's that?  

That seriously creeps me out because I have the visual of what that physical process would occur and I don't want to deal with anyone who would be encouraged or motivated by the possibility of getting to watch me (or Grasshopper or whomever) do that.

No, no, no. Sh!itting kittens is a warm, affirming experience. Everyone gathers around and holds hands as the little tykes come tumbling playfully out, and once the last furry furbaby emerges, there's cake.

mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2010, 3:23:55 pm »

Vox Obviously you enjoy hitting below the belt. I am debating only within the context of this forum.

Voxy hits people in the place from which their opinion emanates.  For most people, that is usually a well-deserved slap in the face.  However, since your opinion was evidently pulled out from the region below your belt, that is where you got hit.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
moodymoodie
Zeal vs. Real

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2010, 3:31:29 pm »

How's that?  

That seriously creeps me out because I have the visual of what that physical process would occur and I don't want to deal with anyone who would be encouraged or motivated by the possibility of getting to watch me (or Grasshopper or whomever) do that.

No, no, no. Sh!itting kittens is a warm, affirming experience. Everyone gathers around and holds hands as the little tykes come tumbling playfully out, and once the last furry furbaby emerges, there's cake.

Uh-huh.  You are starting to sound like the natural childbirth people.  That power of positive thinking trap already has you in its clutches.

Hee hee. I did actually think about using the word "placenta" in that post, but decided against it. 

Fact: I did natural childbirth once, by accident.  Never again.

On topic, this guy is a pain, and if he can't see the difference between venting in a non-classroom setting and being an unprofessional a**hole in front of students then he lacks both experience and common sense.

tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2010, 3:38:01 pm »

If everyone here disagrees with my original post, that does not necessarily make my opinion wrong. I think there is a grain of truth in what I am saying. Otherwise everyone else here would not have an opinion.

You're modeling the "unprepared student who drops in and offers random and unhelpful comments" paradigm. Again.

If hard news and tough commentary bother you, just wait until the weekend: Parade magazine will be safely tucked into your Sunday paper. Perhaps you might order a Thomas Kinkaide plate or something from the ads therein. Those are cheery!
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2010, 3:40:48 pm »

I, for one, have to thank the OP for starting this thread. The snark it has occasioned has been well worth the minor inconvenience of dealing with what increasingly appears to be a troll*.

I haven't laughed this hard all week. (Moody, I think I love you.)

*Someone starting a thread like this, who was not a troll, would have read the initial responses pointing the way toward threads where students were celebrated, said, "Oops. I missed those. Thanks!" and trotted away to read and enjoy them.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
bms2000

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2010, 3:59:32 pm »

How's that?  

Uh-huh.  You are starting to sound like the natural childbirth people.  That power of positive thinking trap already has you in its clutches.

Hee hee. I did actually think about using the word "placenta" in that post, but decided against it. 

Fact: I did natural childbirth once, by accident.  Never again.

Since this thread needs a good hijack, I will comment that I believe the women who do natural childbirth and find it a rewarding experience.  However, considering the feedback I got from the doula (a strong proponent of natural childbirth), the midwife (a strong proponent of natural childbirth), and the obstetrician with 40 years experience who observed me giving birth, natural childbirth is a nice idea for certain women under certain conditions, not the optimal situation for all women everywhere.  I love to bring up the Queen Victoria story.  When natural childbirth was the only option, she did it.  When anesthetic was an option, she took it.  Queen Victoria was not a brainwashed shrinking violet trying to hide from life.

I am a strong proponent of natural childbirth - for anyone who wants it.
Me, I outsourced the whole birth experience. Yay adoption. I fully admit that I would prefer teaching a room full of students like the poster who started this thread rather than deal with the whole childbirth thing. But that is because I am a wuss.

I am 95% confident that I hate teaching statistics.
tee_bee

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 4:00:00 pm »

Ok, when I read that "most" college students do not know how to write at the collegiate level, is that not presumptious, and prejudice,  considering there may be "some" college students who can write very well? If I were a student today, I might be offended by that blanket remark. Or even, telling other lurkers that some students do not belong in college when all they may need is guidance from educators!? I am not saying they need to be hand-held, but a little encouragement can go a long way.

I must admit that if I were a student in a class with a professor who has that kind of negative prejudice toward students, I would be apprehensive about wanting to be a participant in his/her class.

Look, now you totally pi$$ me off. Which may be your point. Clearly, you're a third-rate, or below, intellect. As far as we know, you've never taught, and have never graded piles of dreck--that some people may reduce themselves to call "writing"--generated by a room full of bored, iPod-numbed protoliterates who are in our classes.

"A little encouragement can go a long way?" Do you hail from Planet Hello Kitty? Do you read (are you capable of reading?) the discussions in the fora? Have you seen how people here agonize over how to help students, how to explain to them how their work habits and habits of the mind will lead to something between mediocrity and failure? Have you seen how that care, concern, and advice is often ignored? Reading really is fundamental, isn't it?

Given that you have, rounded to the nearest whole number, zero experience with teaching, you are awfully presumptuous. I can prove empirically that many, and sometimes most (this does not mean "all"; read the phrase again to see the subtle distinction) of my MA students can barely muster a 500 word paper without a cornucopia of writing errors, style lapses, and punctuation abuses that should have been cured in the fifth grade. Indeed, it appears that your education has not served you well in the ways of standard English composition. Yes, N=1 here, but for the love of God, don't go criticizing some of us who hope that, some day, our students might learn to communicate clearly when you, yourself, have not yet mastered fundamentals of the English language.

And you're g-ddam'd right you'd better be apprehensive about taking my classes. Because if you displayed the same level of self-righteousness, cluelessness, lack of preparedness, illogic, and third-rate writing skills in my class that you show here, you'd be on the express train to failure, and deservedly so. I have no particular prejudice against students--I'd be in the wrong racket if I did--but I do discriminate between students who can read, write, reason, and follow directions, and those who cannot or will not do any of these things. Yeah, I am kickin' it old school here. Because I sort of think college is a Big Deal, and a meritocracy, sorry.

People in academia work hard. They don't need trolls (or idiots or both) making ill-informed comments about what we do or don't do. We can hear enough of that from the fake-bake Rotarians who get elected to state legislatures and start waxing expert about higher ed, when they barely got through their bachelor's degree.

Yes, mystictechgal, I realize this person is a troll. But he/sh/it sounds enough like a state legislator to really annoy me. And now I am going to go sh!t some kittens, just out spite. These will grow up to be really mean cats, and I will not declaw them.
concordancia

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2010, 4:21:41 pm »

I told a student today that he had half assed an assignment and I expected more from him. He promised to deliver in the future, we shall see.

I like money.  I like to buy stuff and experiences with money.  
tee_bee

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 4:24:15 pm »

My wife and I had a Bradley method "natural childbirth" coach, who, among other things, noted that

1. The Bradley method is really great because it's natural, and, in nature, mammals just up and give birth without any interference from the Western Medical Establishment. My wife's dad is a large animal veterinarian; draw your own conclusions.

2. Doctors are monsters who will use giant forceps to crush your baby's skull! And midwives are lame because they are under the thrall of evil doctors.

3. Ultrasound will make your baby all defective; here's a study from 1969 that shows that cells move around a lot under the presence of ultrasound!

and, the kicker.....

4. My kids (13 and 10) aren't immunized, because that causes autism. (The classes were at Bradley-hippie's house).

The books were great. But we couldn't get out of her house fast enough.

Now, the thread is fully hijacked!!
grasshopper

Grade Despot

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 4:58:38 pm »

WOW! Grasshopper, you have single-handly dismissed every word I just wrote. Congratulations!

Well, yeah. On account of not agreeing with you on any point.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: