• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:35:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grantham University  (Read 253334 times)
caseyjd

« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »

If you are having trouble transferring your Grantham (DETC accredited) credits to a traditional school, try searching CHEA’s Higher Education Transfer Alliance (HETA) database.  http://www.chea.org/heta/default.asp
thomas_tooma

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2008, 2:34:54 PM »

does anyone know if you can transfer credits from Ashworth University?

Thank you,
Thomas Tooma
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2008, 8:31:57 PM »

does anyone know if you can transfer credits from Ashworth University?

Thank you,
Thomas Tooma

The receiving school gets to determine which, if any, credits transfer. 

My middlin' school will accept credits from more or less any accredited school.  A more prestigious school will usually be more picky.

Because the acceptance of transfer credits is beyond the control of the school, they can't claim that credits are transferable, even if they get accepted much of the time.

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »

It's foolish for anyone to blame Grantham for situations/circumstances they can't control.  Grantham couldn't control the weather but somehow they are cold and heartless because of what they had to do to deal with that unfortunate circumstance.  They can't control whether or not the school you want to go to will accept their credits either...let's tar and feather them!

I've been looking at Grantham for a little over a year now and I am fairly impressed with them.  I've been to RA and NA schools and aside from being "the standard" (for the moment), I just don't understand why RA schools have such a superiority complex.  I've been challenged more by my NA education than I ever was at my RA university. 

I know that there will be problems with transferring credits from any NA school (not just Grantham) but that's the discriminatory educational environment that we live in.  DETC is gaining ground and there are many, many universities that will accept NA credits (without a second thought).  You can't blame Grantham, CSU, CCU or whatever nationally accredited school you go to, the onus is on the receiving institution; blame them for being "slow".  Yes, slow to grasp the change that is inevitable.  Their monopoly on education is going the way of the dinosaur and they are fighting hard to resist the change.  Research has proved that over 90% of employers (HR) accept NA credits...over 60% of RA schools will, and the government will 100% of the time.  To the government, accredited is accredited, whether it be NA or RA.  What's funny is that NA schools are held to the higher standard...the RA schools have been fighting that standard saying that it's too stringent. 

I appreciate Grantham for taking care of our military.  I think it's very commendable.  I'm about to start grad school (RA) but I'm seriously thinking about dropping that university and going to Grantham.
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2008, 6:09:15 PM »

It's foolish for anyone to blame Grantham for situations/circumstances they can't control.  Grantham couldn't control the weather but somehow they are cold and heartless because of what they had to do to deal with that unfortunate circumstance.  They can't control whether or not the school you want to go to will accept their credits either...let's tar and feather them!

No school controls whether or not another school will accept its credits.

However, Grantham would greatly increase the chances of having its credits accepted by becoming accredited by one of the regional accreditors.  And by having its programs accredited by the relevant professional accrediting bodies (eg, AACSB or ACBSP for business).

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2008, 5:32:07 PM »

I am in the military and completed my Masters in Information Management from Grantham.  I had several student advisors who promptly responded to all my questions and guided me through the entire process.  The advisor and faculty were very prompt.  Since graduating from Grantham I started my PHD with Walden University.  Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association, www.ncahlc.org.  Walden accepted 7 classes from Grantham which is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC).  As far as the final are concerned you are only required to pass the final but it doesn't have bearing on your classroom GPA.
briancavataio

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2009, 3:32:35 PM »

Why are you bashing Grantham University?  Because some of your credits will not transfer to another University?  That makes sense so does going to a school like Notre Dame or Harvard.  Taking classes there and transferring to a different school does not mean all those credits will transfer.  Every school has the right to accept or decline your transfer of credits.  Also, regardless of what school you go to it's a minimum you have to complete at least 30 credits at the University of choice for transferring to be awarded a degree by that institution.  Those are the rules put in place by the accrediting institutions.

Second, Everyone should do their own research on schools they want to attend and not rely 100% on what the school is selling you.  When you purchase a home do you buy the first one you see?  I would hope this answer is no to all the consumers out there.  It is the same with your education.  Any school you go to you will find flaws in their system.  I went to ASU and hated the school because of the class size and structure of the content of the material.  Some people love the school but is that a bad school?  No.  University of Phoenix is another school with all the accreditations.  They are one of the top 10 schools to get your doctorate from.  Can you believe that one?  It's true.  Some people bash this school because they say its a diploma mill.  I would have to say that's not true because the amount of people that fail courses there or drop out because they can not write a worthy paper. 

Grantham University is a institution that will challenge you in all aspects of learning.  Regardless it is a accredited institution and if you stick it out and graduate from the school companies will recorganize the degree.  For those that do not believe this I challenge you to ask HR people in the business industry and I will say 99.5% will say yes and of course you will get the .5% of business that will say no because they hold allegiance to a school where they will hire from.  Just because you do not agree with the methods being used at the school does not make it a bad institution it just means it is not right for you.

If you are going to bring up the fact on what a counselor told you; I have news for you I have been told things that were not true by counselors from UIC, Wright State University, and ASU.  So, it does not mean a thing on the school.  It comes from all Universities.  Far as accreditations goes, just because you open a new school does not mean you get the regional accreditation right off the bat.  It can take years before a school is granted a accreditation.  Hope this sheads some of the light on degrees. 
batch203

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2009, 6:29:54 PM »

From what I see, there are a lot of people on here that have no idea how to navigate the education system out there.  Apparently this is just a Grantham bashing forum.  How many of you out there have actually looked at other colleges, or even gone to college for that matter? From reading the majority of the posts, none or very few.  I have gone to several different colleges and am content in the fact that not all my credits will transfer from one to another.  I went to two state colleges (both accredited by the North Central Association), Kansas State and University of Kansas and studied the same program, except that KU only accepted 21 of my 68 credits from KSU.  Hmmm?  Maybe it's not about who accredits them. Maybe every college is out there to make a profit, that's part of running a business.  Maybe you just want a free ride and an easy degree, but these colleges are out to make money regardless of their status.  The professors have to be paid. The people who maintain the facilities have to be paid. No one really works for free.  Hey, if you want to run a business and don't care if you make a profit, go right ahead, seems like you learned a lot while in your college. I'm tired of whiners wanting a free ride on MY tax dollars, go out and work for your degree. Don't expect me to care if you pass or fail or if your credits transfer.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: