Words Students Don't Know

<< < (168/170) > >>

scienceprof:
I was surprised when a student asked what "appreciably" means, in class last week.

juvenal:
At a social gathering the other night, chatting with a friend who is at the nearby R1, discussing this topic, the friend mentioned the word "perpetually" that appeared to baffle some upperclass student.  I asked, "Does this happen all the time"?

systeme_d_:
Quote from: juvenal on March 10, 2013,  5:32:11 PM

At a social gathering the other night, chatting with a friend who is at the nearby R1, discussing this topic, the friend mentioned the word "perpetually" that appeared to baffle some upperclass student.  I asked, "Does this happen all the time"?

Heh.

I am sure it happens all the time, but only to non-Catholics.  

history_grrrl:
Today two students were in my office to review their plans for leading a small-group discussion tomorrow. I was asking them a question and read out loud a line in one of the readings to ask what they thought it meant. It included the word "pretense," which was crucial to the point the author was making. One of the students (the young one) didn't know what it meant.

anisogamy:
Impetus.

I suspect that the student who asked me wasn't the only one who took the exam who didn't know what it meant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page