Rant: Annoying Student Habits, History Edition.

(1/12) > >>

sds1968:
So, my classes use a document collection textbook with primary and secondary sources.

In at least six cases at my particular institution students list primary sources without an author in their works cited page when clearly (at least to me) had they thought for a micro-second about the TITLE of the document it may give them an idea of who the author was.

As an example: "Reverend James Smith Discusses the Burden of Slavery on the White Race, 1854"

will often come up:

Unknown Author, "Reverend James Smith Discusses the Burden of Slavery on the White Race," with references in their paper along the lines of:

In "Reverend James Smith Discusses the Burden" the author, who is unknown, said XYZ. . .

*headdesk*

tanit:
Quote from: sds1968 on March 07, 2013,  3:06:38 PM

Unknown Author, "Reverend James Smith Discusses the Burden of Slavery on the White Race," with references in their paper along the lines of:

I'm a bit sorry to laugh at your pain -- but I'm really, really laughing.

history_grrrl:
That is indeed hilarious.

My history rant at the moment: This is not a political science class! Every secondary source in your bibliography is by a political scientist (or else some guy who worked for the Foreign Service back in the day). You haven't looked at any of the historical scholarship I suggested you consult. WTH?

Okay, back to grading.

canuckois:
I love papers that start with "From the dawn of time, <insert something that only started in the 20th century>."

"From the dawn of time, science has struggled against religion."

"From the dawn of time, women have sought to enter the workforce."

"From the dawn of time, Communism has posed a threat to free democracy."

Because, obviously, anything that happened before my students were born basically occurred at the dawn of time.

yemaya:
Quote from: history_grrrl on March 07, 2013,  3:34:16 PM

That is indeed hilarious.

My history rant at the moment: This is not a political science class! Every secondary source in your bibliography is by a political scientist (or else some guy who worked for the Foreign Service back in the day). You haven't looked at any of the historical scholarship I suggested you consult. WTH?

Okay, back to grading.

I just had a poorly-written history paper that was a political rant "backed up" by quotes from various pundits of the student's own political flavor.  I'm awaiting a vitriolic email in which the student rips me to shreds for infringing on his/her first amendment rights.  It's a moot point, since I could easily justify a fail on the writing mechanics alone.  It was that bad.

Quote from: canuckois on March 07, 2013,  4:11:37 PM

I love papers that start with "From the dawn of time, <insert something that only started in the 20th century>."

"From the dawn of time, science has struggled against religion."

"From the dawn of time, women have sought to enter the workforce."

"From the dawn of time, Communism has posed a threat to free democracy."

Because, obviously, anything that happened before my students were born basically occurred at the dawn of time.

Face it.  We were all born at the dawn of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page