• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:52:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 381
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 549215 times)
barred_owl
Elegant yet understated
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #3330 on: May 03, 2012, 11:31:52 PM »

That we are experiencing an irruption of Red Admiral butterflies in our area.  They're everywhere! Hundreds of them! 

That's it. I'm coming to visit.

<rolls out the red carpet for TZ>

You are most welcome to visit--and stay for a while, too! :)

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #3331 on: May 04, 2012, 12:52:26 AM »

That we are experiencing an irruption of Red Admiral butterflies in our area.  They're everywhere! Hundreds of them!  

That's it. I'm coming to visit.

<rolls out the red carpet for TZ>

You are most welcome to visit--and stay for a while, too! :)

I can't get away just now, but I would love to see them too!
They were semi-regular visitors to my home in Former State, but I can't imagine that I will be seeing any in New City.

I just googled to see if they visit New City, and I just read about a population explosion of Red Admirals here!  w00t!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:54:11 AM by systeme_d_ » Logged

systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #3332 on: May 04, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »

My apologies for the double-post, but I have just learned something that has completely blown my mind.

I have just learned that an historical figure that I mentioned several times in my forthcoming book is my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

lohai0

« Reply #3333 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »

My apologies for the double-post, but I have just learned something that has completely blown my mind.

I have just learned that an historical figure that I mentioned several times in my forthcoming book is my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

Huh. I don't think that is enough to be Genghis Khan. I learned today that all people have a 5% chance they are related to him.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #3334 on: May 04, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »

Huh. I don't think that is enough to be Genghis Khan. I learned today that all people have a 5% chance they are related to him.

Ha!  Nope, not enough greats for Genghis!

lohai0

« Reply #3335 on: May 04, 2012, 11:48:46 PM »

Ha!  Nope, not enough greats for Genghis!

I am woefully ignorant when it comes to history. Reading more nonfiction is one of those things I pretend I'm going to do once I'm a professor.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
compdoc

« Reply #3336 on: May 05, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »

I learned that even if I have a Cherokee great-great-grandmother, it doesn't count, because I have no proof.

I learned that my students can be amazingly gracious in a request to honor a former colleague of mine.

I learned that sophomores can make great friends for old professors.

I learned that not only has my department grown (they collided two depts together) but my college has also doubled in size in the last twenty years by colliding two colleges together. That proliferation of admin responsible for the rising cost of higher education? They must be at the assistant provost level, because we have fewer admins now than we had last year and fewer even than twenty years ago.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #3337 on: May 05, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »

That is awesome!

I learned that it was probably a good idea that I didn't take time off after the end of class, as I'm already bored and irritated by having nothing to do and it's only noon on Saturday.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #3338 on: May 05, 2012, 12:10:31 PM »

That is very cool, systeme_d_!!!

I'm already bored and irritated by having nothing to do and it's only noon on Saturday.

I can't even imagine this.  How is it possible to have nothing that needs doing?  And I think the last time I was bored, I was about eight years old.  Even when I feel lazy and ignore the ever-present to-do list, there are always a zillion fun things to do.

And, having been too busy to do any of those fun things for the past four months, I'm off to do some of them right now.  Want to come, CBD?

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #3339 on: May 05, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »

I learned today that chocolate with wasabi is revolting.  Now, well might you say that I should have known this without subjecting my taste-buds to a disgraceful kamikaze attack.  But it was Lindt, and I genuinely thought it would be interesting. 

I was wrong.  It's the most disgusting piece of chocolate I've ever eaten (and that's saying a lot, given that I've eaten Hershey's). 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #3340 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »

I learned today that chocolate with wasabi is revolting.  Now, well might you say that I should have known this without subjecting my taste-buds to a disgraceful kamikaze attack.  But it was Lindt, and I genuinely thought it would be interesting. 

I was wrong.  It's the most disgusting piece of chocolate I've ever eaten (and that's saying a lot, given that I've eaten Hershey's). 

I genuinely thank you for your sacrifice, as I saw that yesterday and thought "hmmmm"...

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
notaprof
Not a

« Reply #3341 on: May 05, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »

I genuinely thank you for your sacrifice, as I saw that yesterday and thought "hmmmm"...

I heard about that combination this week and said, "No way!"  What's with wasabi and chocolate all of the sudden?

chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #3342 on: May 05, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

I can't even imagine this.  How is it possible to have nothing that needs doing?  And I think the last time I was bored, I was about eight years old.  Even when I feel lazy and ignore the ever-present to-do list, there are always a zillion fun things to do.

And, having been too busy to do any of those fun things for the past four months, I'm off to do some of them right now.  Want to come, CBD?

Sure.

There are probably things I could be doing. I need to put air in my car tyres, for example. I also considered taking my bike to the park (instead of walking -- I can't walk much today because I wore shoes that killed my feet yesterday) but I'm a little scared of the bike. It has been on the balcony since I moved, and that balcony is full of spiders.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #3343 on: May 05, 2012, 1:42:31 PM »

I learned that while making your own dryer sheets seems a great idea, in reality it is a huge PITA.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #3344 on: May 05, 2012, 4:33:03 PM »

I learned that a black hole swallowed a star in 2010.  (The computer simulation of the resulting gamma-ray burp is glorious.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 4:33:37 PM by llanfair » Logged

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 381
  Print  

Jump to: