• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: The CHE STFU Center for Professional Development  (Read 182994 times)
seniorscholar
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #330 on: April 17, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »

Dear Miss STFU,

One of my degrees is from [redacted]. I was thrilled to escape [redacted], which was a bit of a snake pit, and do my best to never think about the place. One of the department undergrads, who is pretty annoying, has decided to go to [redacted] for a PhD. There hasn't been any turnover at [redacted], except for getting rid of another chair, so I suspect it hasn't changed much. Undergrad already committed to [redacted] and never asked for input. I STFU, right?

Yes.

And smile to yourself a whole lot, which (I assume) is why you wanted to share this with the forum.
lohai0

« Reply #331 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »

Dear Miss STFU,

One of my degrees is from [redacted]. I was thrilled to escape [redacted], which was a bit of a snake pit, and do my best to never think about the place. One of the department undergrads, who is pretty annoying, has decided to go to [redacted] for a PhD. There hasn't been any turnover at [redacted], except for getting rid of another chair, so I suspect it hasn't changed much. Undergrad already committed to [redacted] and never asked for input. I STFU, right?

Yes.

And smile to yourself a whole lot, which (I assume) is why you wanted to share this with the forum.

I would have said something if I was asked, but I didn't think it was necessarily my place to say something unsolicited. I really don't want to be That Bitter Person if I can help it.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #332 on: April 17, 2012, 4:10:35 PM »

Dear Miss STFU,

Yes.

I would have said something if I was asked, but I didn't think it was necessarily my place to say something unsolicited. I really don't want to be That Bitter Person if I can help it.

It is not Bitter to rejoice when two entities you find annoying (or whatever) find their way through the Universe to each other.  After all, it was not your doing that each is now in position to annoy the hell out of the other one.

Trust in karma.  In the end, and in its own way, it always strikes its target.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseen bien a sus hijos.
lux_mea

« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »

Posting as a pledge to myself that I will STFU. The last week of the semester is no time to be raising issues that I really shouldn't be raising in any case. Heck, they might not even BE issues - my judgment is no doubt fried by this point in the semester.

No matter what they do, who they are, how blind and wrong-headed they might be, I will STFU. I WILL STFU. _I_ _WILL_ _STFU_.

Thank you for your support.
(sitting back down and grading some papers using a simply rubric as recommended by wise forumites, not caring more about their grade than they do as recommended by wise forumites, and STFUing as, well, you know....)
lotsoquestions

« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2012, 1:54:40 PM »

Dear Miss STFU:

I'm not sure whether or not I have a Ph.D.  I mean, I think I might -- I sort of remember attending a university somewhere, and I told everyone I do -- and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation and all.  What do the rest of you do when you're not sure whether or not you were ever awarded a doctorate, particularly when you're not sure if you ever defended a dissertation, wrote one or even attended university?

Signed,
Addled
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2012, 2:09:31 PM »

Dear Miss STFU:

I'm not sure whether or not I have a Ph.D.  I mean, I think I might -- I sort of remember attending a university somewhere, and I told everyone I do -- and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation and all.  What do the rest of you do when you're not sure whether or not you were ever awarded a doctorate, particularly when you're not sure if you ever defended a dissertation, wrote one or even attended university?

Signed,
Addled

Dear Addled:

Miss STFU is certain that you do not in fact hold a doctorate. Have you tried AA?

Miss STFU

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2012, 2:33:41 PM »

In general, I believe that one should not hold a doctorate (at least not in a tight grip).  As the old saying goes, "If you love your doctorate, let it go.  If it comes back to you, it was always yours.  If not, well, not so much."

Well, it's something like that.  In any event, I advise allowing your doctorate to alight gently onto your outstretched hand, and murmuring soothing sounds to it while lightly stroking it.  What?  Why are  you all looking at me like that?

Yes, it is a very stressful time here; why do you ask?

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2012, 2:42:10 PM »

Conjugate, you and Galactic Hedgehog should go drinking together some day.

Or maybe not...

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2012, 3:48:08 PM »

In general, I believe that one should not hold a doctorate (at least not in a tight grip).

Plus, if you grip your doctorate too tightly when fondling it, it may be less sensitive and unresponsive come that magic night when you convince another human being to fondle it. This can be embarrassing, and is a major factor in tenure denial.

Miss STFU

conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #339 on: May 01, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »

Conjugate, you and Galactic Hedgehog should go drinking together some day.

Or maybe not...

Oh, I'd like to; the problem is finding the opportunity. 

In general, I believe that one should not hold a doctorate (at least not in a tight grip).

Plus, if you grip your doctorate too tightly when fondling it, it may be less sensitive and unresponsive come that magic night when you convince another human being to fondle it. This can be embarrassing, and is a major factor in tenure denial.

Miss STFU

Yes, and remember that search committees may say, "It happens to everyone sometimes," but you never know what they're really thinking.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
nucleo

« Reply #340 on: May 01, 2012, 1:10:50 PM »

Dear Miss STFU:

I occasionally have really good teaching ideas that I want others in my department to adopt.  One of my colleagues frequently does get very enthusiastic about an idea and incorporates it into his own teaching, but only after rejecting my idea and then after some time has elapsed coming up with that very same idea "on his own".  It's not maliciously done:  think rather of a big bouncy Labrador puppy who just really likes his new ball.

In the scheme of things, this is not a big deal.  We both have the equivalent of tenure, there are no promotions or raises to be had in our union environment, and we both have the respect of the departments whose students we teach (we teach service courses at my campus).  But I'm finding it damned annoying.

So, what should I do?  I perceive these alternatives:
  • Thwap my colleague into submission so that he's not claiming credit for my ideas?  (Will take much effort and in the long run probably be ineffectual.)
  • Tell everyone else that they were my ideas first and in the process be seen as whiny and petulant?
  • STFU?

Please advise.

nucleo, cranky colleague
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #341 on: May 01, 2012, 1:14:27 PM »

Dear Cranky:

STFU?

Yes.

Miss STFU

nucleo

« Reply #342 on: May 01, 2012, 1:44:34 PM »

<sigh>
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2012, 3:26:57 PM »

Miss STFU does not want to deprive you of all the fun things in life. If you really want to you could introduce your ideas first to other members of your department and only then to Dr. L. Puppy. When he finally finds the ball your colleagues will know who threw it.

Miss STFU

soymilk

« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2012, 6:52:11 PM »

Dear STFU--
I did not always STFU but I got tenure anyway. I was actually told by a colleague, we will call him "Jim" that I was too picky about things. It is possible that others appreciate my attention to detail. It is also quite possible that lots of people are annoyed at me and that I need to continue to STFU for a while (sort of like doing a "make-up" test after I almost failed it?). Now this same colleague who was offended by my previous critique wants feedback on some written material from a few of us. There are a few bad sentences. Do I point out the typos, just say "looks great!!", and/or hope that these typos are noticed and commented upon by someone else? If no one points out the typos, some students will see it. They would then know that Jim sometimes makes typos. Yikes, I think I know your answer. I have been here too long...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: