"Favorite" conversations with students

<< < (1491/1756) > >>

fishprof:
Quote from: mathminion on October 31, 2013, 12:06:12 pm

Quote from: fishprof on October 31, 2013, 12:00:07 pm

Conversation with student during advising.

[Redacted]

ME: "You! Aren't! In! That! Class!  Did you seriously go to the math Department and complain to a professor there (not the chair) about a professor you haven't even taken a class with??"

I could continue, but the student got a serious earful about this, and choosing courses, and not blaming the instructor for a class being 'too hard' etc. etc.

As a colleague said: "Is this what we are up against?  We have to deal with complaints from our students, and our not-students too?"

I am not surprised at all by this student's "shopping" for professors.  I do find it incredibly odd that she complained about a professor for a class she has never taken.  Did you contact the math department with that gem?

Yes.  Math Chair is none too pleased.  Didn't divulge the student or the Math faculty yet.

lohai0:
Talking with one of the international students after class:

Stu: This is my first Halloween, but I think I've figured this thing out.

Me: How so?

Stu: It kind of like the whole country is at an anime cosplay convention with no theme and too much candy.

biomancer:
Quote from: lohai0 on November 01, 2013, 12:18:40 am

Talking with one of the international students after class:

Stu: This is my first Halloween, but I think I've figured this thing out.

Me: How so?

Stu: It kind of like the whole country is at an anime cosplay convention with no theme and too much candy.

Your student nailed it!

archman:
Quote from: desmata on October 31, 2013,  9:34:58 am

I am teaching a hybrid Anatomy and Physiology II class. This week was Practical I which is an in-person exam. The week before, I had requested that the students fill out a mid-term evaluation of the class. They were to bring the typed and unsigned eval to the practical and put it in an envelope near the door. We are 2 minutes to starting the exam when a woman marches into the room and stops.

Me: Hello.
Her: I'm dropping your class. I just came to bring the evaluation.
Me: I'm sorry to hear that.
Her: Do you have the grades. I want to see mine.
Me: Yes (shows her the spreadsheet; she has the second highest grade in the class). Why are you dropping? You are doing very well in the course.
Her: (sounding very rehearsed and wound so tight I could hear her thrumming) I am not learning anything in the class. I am doing everything by myself. There is no teaching going on. This is a foundational course and I need the knowledge to be successful in my future clinicals. I am transferring to (decent) University for their nursing program. It would be a disservice to my future patients, and the community in general, to continue in this course.
Me: I'm sorry you feel this way.
Her: Slams the door on her way out.

I turn to face the rest of the class, shrug, and say "You can't please everyone. Are you ready to get started?". Of course I was having an interior melt-down but if I have learned anything, it's how to keep a lid on my emotions in front of students.

The reason I can report her exact words are because she wrote the same remarks on her, as you can imagine, scathing eval. Some days I wonder why I put myself on the front lines this way.

Boy, am I glad I don't do student evaluations until the drop deadline has expired.

llanfair:
Quote from: archman on November 01, 2013,  1:39:48 pm

Quote from: desmata on October 31, 2013,  9:34:58 am

I am teaching a hybrid Anatomy and Physiology II class. This week was Practical I which is an in-person exam. The week before, I had requested that the students fill out a mid-term evaluation of the class. They were to bring the typed and unsigned eval to the practical and put it in an envelope near the door. We are 2 minutes to starting the exam when a woman marches into the room and stops.

Me: Hello.
Her: I'm dropping your class. I just came to bring the evaluation.
Me: I'm sorry to hear that.
Her: Do you have the grades. I want to see mine.
Me: Yes (shows her the spreadsheet; she has the second highest grade in the class). Why are you dropping? You are doing very well in the course.
Her: (sounding very rehearsed and wound so tight I could hear her thrumming) I am not learning anything in the class. I am doing everything by myself. There is no teaching going on. This is a foundational course and I need the knowledge to be successful in my future clinicals. I am transferring to (decent) University for their nursing program. It would be a disservice to my future patients, and the community in general, to continue in this course.
Me: I'm sorry you feel this way.
Her: Slams the door on her way out.

I turn to face the rest of the class, shrug, and say "You can't please everyone. Are you ready to get started?". Of course I was having an interior melt-down but if I have learned anything, it's how to keep a lid on my emotions in front of students.

The reason I can report her exact words are because she wrote the same remarks on her, as you can imagine, scathing eval. Some days I wonder why I put myself on the front lines this way.

Boy, am I glad I don't do student evaluations until the drop deadline has expired.

Ditto.  That's a dreadful system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page