• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:41:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hayfever!  (Read 24179 times)
dr_prephd
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 1:24:46 PM »

Why should the ability to breathe through one's nose be such an elusive thing? Why?

Ugh. I feel ya. Mouth breathing is a faux pas in yoga, but I've been having to do it... or else I wouldn't be able to breathe!

mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 2:00:43 PM »

Zyrtec usually works for me with an occasional boost from children's benedryl (the liquid kind), but this year, I've had to keep the hard stuff, Mucinex, on hand for particularly bad nights. 

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
dr_prephd

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 2:26:20 PM »

Zyrtec usually works for me with an occasional boost from children's benedryl (the liquid kind), but this year, I've had to keep the hard stuff, Mucinex, on hand for particularly bad nights. 

Ooooh, Mucinex! Thanks for the reminder... I'll be hitting up CVS soon.

merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 2:49:26 PM »

I used to take an antihistamine only on an as-needed basis (during allergy season). Then one March, while traveling, I came down with a violent cold that immediately produced a double ear infection. I timed my sneezes: I sneezed 600 times in the first hour of that cold (yes, a sneeze every 6 seconds or less). The doctor who treated me said to me, "The reason you're still getting ear infections at this age (I was in my 40s) is because you're not controlling your allergic rhinitis." Finally, someone had explained to me why my colds were so violent, why I was still prone to ear infections (1 a year), and I was now adding sinus infections (2-3 a year) to the mix. That started me on an experiment of taking a Reactine (cetirizine) every night, and using a corticosteroid nasal spray during allergy season (basically, March through October). This is working. I rarely come down with an ear infection, and the sinus infections are on the run. This winter was the first ever in my life that I've had neither.  I'm a believer. (I think the vitamin D has also helped).

(I flew home on the double ear infection. Don't do this.)

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 8:56:03 PM »

Ugh.  I'm in hell.  My eyes are being savaged by pollen -- two commencement ceremonies today, and I was a red-eyed monster for both of them.  I don't know what's blooming at the moment...but it's brutal.

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 9:00:14 PM »

canuckois: your antihistamine awaits.

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

I'm reviving this thread because, well, venting about allergies is fun. 

Has anyone else been smacked by the allergy stick lately?  I sneezed 32 times in a row the other day.  I thought my head was going to come off. 

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »

The Biokids are in bad shape. I am not overly sensitive to what is out now, but my batch of trees will follow this one. I am prepared to be miserable any day now. I went to pollen.com and wanted to weep at the local pollen forecast. The national map was pretty somber, too.

I'm bracing for a doubly bad spring after the nonexistent winter. Having spring come early just makes the misery last longer.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »

One of my eyes (yes, just one) has been tearing up like mad. A doctor friend said it was probably allergies. Usually they get all dry and itchy, but now they've switched to tearing. Great. I am just waiting for the lawn mowing to start so I can really be uncomfortable.

He's allergic to chocolate. I had to beat him.  -Tower Heist-
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 1:06:25 PM »

Hay fever is in the fall. Rose fever is in the spring. I have rose fever but not hay fever.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
citrine

Beware the Annoying Bad Luck Snail

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 1:54:18 PM »

The burst of warm weather means that the trees around here are cranking up pollen production even earlier.

I just had sinus surgery and septoplasty to remove a bone spur in January, and I am hope hope hoping that it means an allergy season without so much sinus pain that I can't see straight or be a functional human being. (The bone spur meant that whenever my sinuses got inflamed, the inflammation pushed the bone spur right into a cluster of nerves at the back of my nose.)

Right now I just have the "someone lightly sandpapered my eyeballs and put them back in my head" feeling, which probably means I should pick up some saline drops.
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 1:32:10 AM »

Right now I just have the "someone lightly sandpapered my eyeballs and put them back in my head" feeling, which probably means I should pick up some saline drops.

Very well put! I know the feeling well.  Add a tendency to sleep with my eyes open (freaked me out when I learned about it) to allergic dry eyes and I'm on eye drops during the day and an eye gel before bed.

I got up one day for class and had to call in sick; one eye was so sore it hurt like crazy. I took a real chance driving to the doctor. When I got there, he said he could see the line of my upper lid across my eye where it had been open all night. It gets really painful about 2-3 times a year, so much so I need pain killer drops in the eye before I can function again. And that's when it's bad; they are irritated to were I need a hot compress or can't put in my contacts a couple of times a month.  It would probably be less if I were better about putting the gel in every night. You think I'd learn...

pink_
Empress &

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 7:51:05 AM »

I recently read somewhere (webmd maybe?) that showering before bed will help as pollen gets trapped in our hair. A few of my friends swear by local honey--something about the bees processing pollen & helping build up immunity?  I haven't tried it myself.  Otherwise, Claritin + (generic) Flonase gets me through the day, but I usually have a headache by dinnertime anyway. The headaches are much, much worse without the meds, so I won't complain much. I have just gotten used to the persistent cotton mouth feeling and am especially well-hydrated.

But it is really, really bad where I live. Yesterday, I could literally see the pollen in the air. It was like fog, but yellow. I was seriously tempted to go home and get a bandana to time over my mouth and nose like they used it in the old Westerns.  I wonder if that would even work. . .

pink_
Empress &

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 9:16:33 AM »

Apologies for the double post.

I started to wonder this morning on my way into camous whether contact lenses were better or worse for allergy sufferers.  A friend swears by the former saying that his eyes bother him less when he wears his contacts this time of year, but I so rarely wear mine that I wonder if it would make much difference. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

I started to wonder this morning on my way into camous whether contact lenses were better or worse for allergy sufferers.  A friend swears by the former saying that his eyes bother him less when he wears his contacts this time of year, but I so rarely wear mine that I wonder if it would make much difference. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

I've wondered the same thing. I don't have any feeling if one is better than the other. The new lenses allow so much more moisture through to the eye than the old fashioned hard one, maybe they let in pollen too. I don't know. I can't say whether I feel better with or without them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: