• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:06:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HE Salary Scales  (Read 4971 times)
expatphd

« on: April 21, 2012, 6:49:28 AM »

Does the London Weighting Allowance still exist? 

That gave the appearance that all academic staff received the same pay nationally, with a little boost for those in London. As far as I can tell that has never been the case in practice, though the different grades and points used make it difficult to figure that out. If this was the case, then it seems the UCU or some other negotiating body would have the national salary scale available, however browsing a few HR web pages does not reveal much similarity.

How would moving to an institution with a London Allowance work? Would they first offer a point increase over one's current salary, then give the allowance on top of that? Or just consider the allowance to be enough of a bonus?
britsci

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 8:36:11 AM »

London weighting still exists, and is 2806 annually.  Not all universities use the national salary scale.

The allowance doesn't count as a bonus, it's meant to reflect the increased cost of living in London.  (After tax, it just about pays for my travelcard.)  If I were moving, I would use my current point on the salary scale as a starting point for negotiation and not mention the London weighting at all.

sandgrounder

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 3:51:37 PM »

The national pay scales most certainly exist for all below professorial rank. http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=2210 it's the London weighting that varies quite a bit between institutions: http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=231
expatphd

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 7:31:39 AM »

Thank you for the replies and extra information!

With the salary scales and allowances, is it hypothetically possible to move from a junior position with an allowance (such as the London one) to a promoted position elsewhere and end up with a higher point, but a lower salary?
britsci

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 8:47:49 AM »

With the salary scales and allowances, is it hypothetically possible to move from a junior position with an allowance (such as the London one) to a promoted position elsewhere and end up with a higher point, but a lower salary?

Yes, it would be possible.

Bear in mind that the cost of living is London is a *lot* more expensive than the cost of living in some other parts of the country, and the allowance does not always make up the difference.  A salary of 37k in Hull will leave you with more money at the end of the month than 40k in London.
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 8:57:22 AM »

Yes. As Britsci says, the London weighting is designed to allow for the cost of living in London - it is not part of a consolidated salary. Here in the frozen north we would not take the London weighting into account when looking at a candidate's current salary and considering what to pay. So we might offer an increment to someone to move but this may not match their salary + London weighting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: