• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: When will Spring be sprung?  (Read 110638 times)
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

I will be back tomorrow, airlines permitting. I am looking forward to cool weather: cold and even damp will be a welcome change: at about 4 pm this afternoon I would happily have exchanged extreme (for me) heat and humidity for cold and damp. Heat and a fever were a particularly grim combination.

Sorry about the fever.

However, you'll be happy to know that your request will be granted. (It's even wet here in SE-ville.)

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
scotia

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 1:45:56 AM »

One more hop and I should be there, as long as I survive Air France (stupid French keyboard: nothing is in the right place. Who in their right mind requires the shift key for a full stop or puts the q where the a should be?). I am not betting on survival. Next time some accountant suggests AF is cheaper I will insist they travel in my place..........
scampster

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 2:48:41 AM »

One more hop and I should be there, as long as I survive Air France (stupid French keyboard: nothing is in the right place. Who in their right mind requires the shift key for a full stop or puts the q where the a should be?). I am not betting on survival. Next time some accountant suggests AF is cheaper I will insist they travel in my place..........

My new officemate is French and I was trying to show him how to do something in Matlab and I more or less resorted to writing the code out on paper because I couldn't type it on his keyboard. I guess the French do use the Q much more than we do, but when I lived in a Spanish-speaking country (also a major Q user), the keyboards were the same as English keyboards for the most part (with a few quirks). But that could have been because I was in a place heavily influenced by the US? I'm not sure what Spanish keyboards in Spain are like! Anyway, even my keyboard here still befuddles me - why isn't there a hash mark?! It's there, but I had to hit a bunch of things before I made a hash appear. But I can make the pound and euro mark with ease, so there's that.

And sadly, literally just yesterday I booked a flight on Air France to Paris. I spent a long time debating if I should go cheap on Ryanair and then decided the hassle wasn't worth it. Maybe Air France isn't much better! But at least I get left off at CDG instead of Beauvais.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 4:11:03 AM »

You don't know hell until you've tried to type on a Turkish keyboard...

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 4:12:26 AM »

French keyboards are a way the French help us to enjoy ourselves when on holiday: it's far too much frustration to try to send emails or surf the net, so we're more inclined to head back to the café or the beach.  

edited to add: at least Turkish keyboards have the right kind of letters, mostly.  Try an Israeli keyboard sometime.

Speaking of which: how the hell does a Chinese keyboard work?  I can't fathom it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 4:17:04 AM by qrypt » Logged

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
science_expat

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »

Scotia, you may not get wet and cold after all.

I'm back sitting in the sun in my garden.

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
scotia

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »

Scotia, you may not get wet and cold after all.

I'm back sitting in the sun in my garden.

It was raining as we approached (heavily) but I haven't seen a drop since hitting (softly) the ground. It is cold (at least compared to what I have been in for the last few days), but I am not too unhappy about that.
expatinuk

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

rain... cold... rain... even colder

is that hail?

It is what it is.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »

is that hail?

Almost certainly. Think yourself lucky that you missed Friday afternoon, when it was so cold that it took the hail half an hour to melt from the lawn.
expatinuk

« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2012, 3:00:02 PM »

is that hail?

Almost certainly. Think yourself lucky that you missed Friday afternoon, when it was so cold that it took the hail half an hour to melt from the lawn.

I was being driven back from LHR during that hailstorm!

It is what it is.
scotia

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2012, 4:57:15 PM »

Now tipping it down. Fortunately someone gave me a lift back from the social event I attended to force myself to stay awake. Time to hit the hay.....
science_expat

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 5:59:11 PM »

Looking at a hard frost here.

Clear skies and all that....

qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 2:38:20 AM »

Buffalo and a big area to the south had almost a foot of snow yesterday. 

British weather is so boring.

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »

Buffalo and a big area to the south had almost a foot of snow yesterday. 

British weather is so boring.

You definitely need a job in Scotland. Last snow in the middle of May; first frost in the first week of September; ski slopes within half an hour of some universities ;-)
science_expat

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »

Yeah, but it's still not very exciting.

Though not complaining, another afternoon working from my back garden.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: