• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter is blowing in  (Read 53557 times)
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2012, 6:09:17 PM »

It's a lovely day to be curled up in front of the fire.

*madly searching for the LIKE button*

If you want to keep warm, an allergic response to an insect bite seems to work remarkably well (it must have been a suicidal critter. It was on the chilly side of perishing when I think I was bitten) . I would not normally be in thin woollen trousers, a cotton shirt and sleeveless jumper in this weather. Just the thought of a warm fire makes me itch. Anyone care to swap?

No thanks. I had quite a lovely afternoon reading (work stuff) in front of the fire.

Worth a try. I had a dismal afternoon trying to persuade the email to let me in on the act (it coughed into action at 5 pm) and moderating exam scripts. But the exam script pain is completed. Now all I have to do is select the large sample from my module (too many of the little darlings didn't take notes or open a book for it to be a small sample) and package it up for the external, with a letter explaining all the efforts I made to keep the pass rate above complete carnage and saying nice things about the class members that did well. Or maybe I will just do the kindest thing for everyone and send you the scripts as fuel. They should at least burn well....
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2012, 6:22:08 PM »

Happy to take them - coal is expensive and turf hard to come by.

Our exam boards were yesterday and my only teaching this semester is dissertation supervisor so it's serious research time.

Plus, of course, all the admin related to being leader of my (largest) research unit in the run-up to the REF...

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
oddlyodd

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2012, 2:36:03 PM »

SNOW! [hoping that campus gets shut so I don't have to face the first-years at 9am Monday...]
seniorscholar

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2012, 8:56:54 PM »

Would you try sending some of that stuff due West, across the Atlantic? My relatives who own a bed&breakfast + gastropub in Vermont are seriously in need. In addition, they can usually drive across Lake Champlain to get to the New York side, where the nearest big box stores are, at this time of year. It takes hours to go clear around the bottom, and the ferry isn't licensed to operate in winter even when the water is open. (They achieved the funds to acquire this property by both buying and selling their house in Blackheath at exactly the right time, but don't spend much energy wishing they were back there.)
science_expat

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2012, 5:50:49 PM »

Swindon in the snow.

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's trek to Polaris house....

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2012, 6:29:55 PM »

Swindon in the snow.

I get to run an exam board tomorrow where the snow should mean a seriously depleted attendance.  This is good news: the fewer half-baked colleagues in attendance, the shorter and easier the meeting. 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
scotia

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2012, 6:53:22 PM »

Swindon in the snow.

I get to run an exam board tomorrow where the snow should mean a seriously depleted attendance.  This is good news: the fewer half-baked colleagues in attendance, the shorter and easier the meeting. 

I am running an exam board tomorrow too (maternity leave is playing havoc with our service allocations at the moment) and there is no prospect of snow. However, at least two of my more trouble causing colleagues are teaching; I don't think I can avoid the third attending, but I can cope with them one at a time. I will be donating large numbers of chocolate biscuits to the administrator who arranged the board to be at the time it is. The afternoon slot would have meant everyone could attend.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2012, 7:30:57 PM »

Scotia, I have snow I can donate to you. I think it's probably some that Qrypt ordered that was mistakenly routed down here :-)

expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 9:00:59 AM »

Ice rink here... it was bumper cars in the pub parking lot this morning!

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »

Ooh ... dangerous even with winter tires.  I can't imagine it without.  Stay safe and watch out for the other guy!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:38:54 AM by llanfair » Logged

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »

Ooh ... dangerous even with winter tires.  I can't imagine it without.  Stay safe and watch out for the other guy!

I walked to my neighbors ... spreading ice melt in front of me. That's the limit to the 'going outside' I've done (and am likely to do) today. The bumper cars in the parking lot wasn't me... but I did watch from my upstairs landing window, as I drank my morning coffee (and laughed).

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »

I walked to my neighbors ... spreading ice melt in front of me. That's the limit to the 'going outside' I've done (and am likely to do) today. The bumper cars in the parking lot wasn't me... but I did watch from my upstairs landing window, as I drank my morning coffee (and laughed).

You're so MEAN :)

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
science_expat

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2012, 4:23:24 PM »

Now in Oxford. Fecking freezing. 

science_expat

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2012, 5:37:44 AM »

I had forgotten what a hole Bristol airport is. Will go through Heathrow next time.

And NO heat on the train!

Guess who's not in a good mood this morning...

drspouse

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »

Flying back to the UK tomorrow night. Our home town is coastal and tends not to get snow, but I'm not sure about the airport. Babyspouse won't know what hit him.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: