• October 31, 2014
November 01, 2014, 12:06:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter is blowing in  (Read 53558 times)
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: December 08, 2011, 4:35:39 PM »

I hope everyone is safe - its a little wild in these parts at the moment, and my plan to travel early tomorrow morning is looking highly unlikely. I tried to go out to the car to put some stuff in and get my torch out, but was struggling to stand and did not dare to open the door in case it got ripped off.

The lights are flickering badly, so the electric blanket is warming my bed in case the power goes completely, and I am off to boil the kettle and fill a couple of flasks in case the electricity disappears.
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 5:27:38 AM »

I did the drive from darn sarf to up north yesterday and it was a fight at times to keep the car on the road.

That... and my shoe kept slipping off the accelerator...

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
scotia

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 6:37:24 AM »

I did the drive from darn sarf to up north yesterday and it was a fight at times to keep the car on the road.

That... and my shoe kept slipping off the accelerator...

Footwear at this time of year is a real problem: how to cope with ice in the morning commute, horizontal rain on the mid-afternoon walk to the meeting on the other side of campus, and ankle deep slush on the walk home in the evening.

I have noticed that wellingtons seem to be the latest fashion accessory here at ScotiaU. I assume there must be a 'cool kids' brand (and that it isn't Guardsman, as worn by Scotia, obtained at a knock-down price from a Cheshire garden centre a few years ago).
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 6:58:53 AM »

Who apart from me is off to Miami or some similarly warm place when term ends?

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 7:06:55 AM »

<hisses enviously in qrypt's direction>

Why yes, I am off to Munich for Christmas next Wednesday.
scotia

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 7:30:50 AM »

Who apart from me is off to Miami or some similarly warm place when term ends?

Not me. I am looking forward to not having to travel. It will be the first time since 2004. No doubt this will herald extremely damp, dank weather around scotiaville, and a central heating boiler breakdown/major power cuts/some other disaster, but the prospect of not wrestling with transportation systems is winning out over all potential downsides.
expatinuk

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »

Hubby Bubba is dealing with the boiler problems (new boiler in 2008 that was not properly installed). I'm darn sarf all this week... *sigh*

The holiday will be spent sitting around in sweats and a Go Go Gamecock t-shirt sipping port and watching the tree!

It is what it is.
scotia

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 1:16:31 PM »

Hubby Bubba is dealing with the boiler problems (new boiler in 2008 that was not properly installed). I'm darn sarf all this week... *sigh*

The holiday will be spent sitting around in sweats and a Go Go Gamecock t-shirt sipping port and watching the tree!

Ah yes. The tree. I need to be brave and venture into the attic (where I know it will be freezing) and find where the removal men stashed the tree and all the decorations in Jan 2009. I have vague memories of problems with Christmas lights, but I cannot remember whether I replaced them or not.

It sounds as though the weather is headed downhill again tomorrow. Just as I have to travel. Thank you weather gods!
bacardiandlime
Ninja

That makes me more gangster than you

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 1:19:28 PM »

<waves>
want some glühwein?

expatinuk

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 2:16:10 PM »

<waves>
want some glühwein?

yes

It is what it is.
scotia

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 5:21:19 PM »

<waves>
want some glühwein?

yes

Please.
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 8:06:04 PM »

Fortunately I missed the last batch - in San Francisco all last week. (Where the weather was 15-16 and sunny!). Coming back from Seattle on Thursday, however, which might be entertaining...

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
expatinuk

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 2:39:02 AM »

6:30 a.m. here darn sarf... the wind is already blowing so much that the farking rooster who wakes me up every morning hasn't crowed once!

It is what it is.
scotia

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 4:04:39 AM »

6:30 a.m. here darn sarf... the wind is already blowing so much that the farking rooster who wakes me up every morning hasn't crowed once!

Blown off his perch maybe.......

If you could hang onto that wind until about 6 pm I would be very grateful. It is a calm morning here, and I can see stars (in the sky, not as a consequence of being slugged over the head). I would like it to remain that way until I am in the city where I have a rehearsal tonight and concert tomorrow. And then I would like tomorrow night to be clear, moonlit and not too windy as well please. And the chances of that are.......
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 5:15:55 AM »

Blown off his perch maybe.......

Judging by the conditions in that part of the world as WH and I slogged home last night, I'd say that he probably drowned first.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: