• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:33:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Freakin' Blizzard  (Read 352672 times)
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am
Distinguished Senior Member

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2010, 2:15:50 PM »

Sorry if I seemed a little... strident.

I hate it when people ride my ass - like the other day, when I was caught in a freak snowstorm on the highway, with not a salt truck in sight, and the guy in front of me was going less than half the speed limit. The roads were too bad for me to comfortably pass him without snow tires, so I just decided to put some serious distance between us. Meh, so it takes me a little longer to get home. Oh well. Unfortunately the guy behind me didn't have quite the same amount of patience. He rode my ass until my turn-off. Jerk.

I just don't get it. I mean, if you're not going to pass, you're still going 50 km/h whether you're twenty feet behind me or forty. So why not opt for forty? That way, if a moose runs out into the road, we're not all screwed.

Grassy, that's pretty much the position I was in - the problem was that I was car #3.  I was about 50 feet behind car #2, who was about 30 feet behind car #1, who was riding his brakes *uphill* and going about 10 mph when the rest of us really needed to go at least 20 to maintain traction and momentum.  Cars 4 through 12 or so were behind me, and car 4 was close enough to my tailpipe to be suffering carbon monoxide poisoning. 

I did eventually get to pass car #1 when the snow let up enough that I could see the edge of the left lane (I have good snow tires), but I probably spent about half an hour sandwiched between the terrified driver #1 and the impatient driver #4 before I got a good passing opportunity.  Car #4 got off at the next exit after that, but once we got past car #1, car #4 got off my tail. 

It is still snowing hard here, and it looks like there's about 2" of fresh snow on my car (I've been here 4.5 hours).  Our campus maintenance crew (who are worth their weight in gold-pressed latinum) is murmuring about another wave headed our way.  Oh joy!

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
lizzy
a person who likes to believe that what comes around goes around and a

« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2010, 3:54:28 PM »

It's been snowing like mad here--we're being threatened with another foot on top of what's already fallen. I have to give a final at 8am on Wed., which is worrisome. 

Hope you made it ok, Biomancer!

I get cranky in the evenings.
anthroid
hyperdiffusionist wackaloonery!

No happy socks because nobody gets Manitoba.

« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2010, 7:15:09 PM »

More snow is predicted for tomorrow.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Am I the only one who even remembers Up with People??
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2010, 8:11:40 PM »

It's been snowing like mad here--we're being threatened with another foot on top of what's already fallen. I have to give a final at 8am on Wed., which is worrisome. 

Hope you made it ok, Biomancer!

We got home unscathed.  The snow seems to be letting up  - forecast is calling for only another 1-3" tonight (on top of two feet we have gotten since Sunday afternoon.  All things considered, this hasn't been as bad as it could have been.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
erictho

« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2010, 8:38:49 PM »

Besides, in Canada they 1) know how to clear the roads--and do

Only in the sissier parts of the country.

Damnit, people, spread the word about responsible pet ownership.
erictho speaks the truth
anthroid

« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »

Didn't I see stories on the Weather Channel about people being stranded in Strath-somewhere (near Buffalo NY)?  :~)

So we were promised overnight temperatures of 1 above (F).  Why is it -7  ????????????????????????? 

I do not like this part of winter in the Frozen Tundra.  I don't mind the Frozen part, or the Tundra part.  But I resent, with every fiber of my being, the minus 7 part.  Brrr.

erictho

« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2010, 12:09:33 AM »

Didn't I see stories on the Weather Channel about people being stranded in Strath-somewhere (near Buffalo NY)?  :~)

Sarnia, Ontario? http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2010/12/14/sarnia-snow-rescue.html?ref=rss  

edited to add: Strathroy!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:11:28 AM by erictho » Logged

Damnit, people, spread the word about responsible pet ownership.
erictho speaks the truth
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2010, 12:42:21 AM »

Sigh. Another 2 hr delay for the Biokids tomorrow. The plus side is we get to sleep in. The minus side is that we get to sleep in. I have things to do. If I had to get up and out of here, I might get some of them done. But as I am not a morning person, I will be staying in bed. I'll even enjoy it. But I'll be bummed when lunchtime comes and I'm still not seeing forward progress on the Big Project I'm working on.

It is going to be in single digits here (in Fahrenheit) overnight. Local School won't let kids play outside if it is below freezing. (WTF?!) but they played outside tonight for about 40 minutes.

I love the snow, but this biting wind and really, really low temps are not my favorite. I prefer double digit below freezing temperatures.

Still, it does beat 95 and humid any day.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2010, 12:47:09 AM »

Sigh. Another 2 hr delay for the Biokids tomorrow. The plus side is we get to sleep in. The minus side is that we get to sleep in. I have things to do. If I had to get up and out of here, I might get some of them done. But as I am not a morning person, I will be staying in bed. I'll even enjoy it. But I'll be bummed when lunchtime comes and I'm still not seeing forward progress on the Big Project I'm working on.

It is going to be in single digits here (in Fahrenheit) overnight. Local School won't let kids play outside if it is below freezing. (WTF?!) but they played outside tonight for about 40 minutes.

I love the snow, but this biting wind and really, really low temps are not my favorite. I prefer double digit below freezing temperatures.

Still, it does beat 95 and humid any day.

No. No, it doesn't at all. No. Tomatoes grow in 95 F weather. They do not grow when it's lower than 70 F. Tomatoes are smart.

<anakin commences wandering in circles and brushing vigorously at her ears and mumbling to herself>

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
grasshopper

Grade Despot

« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2010, 6:41:53 AM »

Cars 4 through 12 or so were behind me, and car 4 was close enough to my tailpipe to be suffering carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Car 4 is a jerk. A big stupid jerky jerk.
Nervous drivers are dangerous, but not nearly as dangerous as impatient drivers.

dr_alcott

« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »

Didn't I see stories on the Weather Channel about people being stranded in Strath-somewhere (near Buffalo NY)?  :~)

There were lots of cars stranded there a couple weeks ago, I think, and just a couple nights ago, dozens of drivers were stranded in northern Indiana.

Here, we are in the single digits, and the water main at the end of our street has busted. There's water flowing down the street, which is sure to create an icy mess, and no running water in the house. Lovely!

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
anthroid

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »

3-5 inches by tomorrow.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 

At least it will warm to a balmy 18 degrees F today.

aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »

3-5 inches by tomorrow.

We're supposed to have snow today as well.  I need to go buy some rear weights for the tractor.  The local John Deere store "has to order them."  The one 40 miles from here has them in stock.  It's a race between me and the snow to see who can stop whom in the race for the tractor weights.  It's like an action movie, but boring.

Que scay-je?
anthroid

« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:36 AM »

3-5 inches by tomorrow.

We're supposed to have snow today as well.  I need to go buy some rear weights for the tractor.  The local John Deere store "has to order them."  The one 40 miles from here has them in stock.  It's a race between me and the snow to see who can stop whom in the race for the tractor weights.  It's like an action movie, but boring.

You're cute when you're rustic.  And thanks for the new tag line!

wild_rose
Looking back, I laugh at what I feared in the past, and hope for greater courage in the future.

The thrill of modern postism!

« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »

3-5 inches by tomorrow.

We won't get that much here, but it's supposed to be warm (anything in the double digits above zero feels warm these days). Weather channel says 18 but the locals are saying 20 degrees, but no more than about 3" of snow here overnight.

Damned parking services dug through the snow on my windshield last month to give me a parking ticket for not going outside in a blizzard to shovel the snow off my car so they can see my permit. Why not just dig a hole in the snow where the permit is supposed to be? Clearly we are being punished for not winning the garage lottery.

Do that over the break, parking nazis, and I will come down there and let you know, in terms you probably won't understand, what I think of your snow policy.

"[M]y toast just landed jelly side up so I think that bodes well for averting world-ending disasters.  I have faith in bread although the toasted aspect may mean you're going to have withstand some heat for a brief time and some aloe jelly will come in handy." --Notaprof, the Great Seer
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: