• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:56:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny things said by non-academics  (Read 98829 times)
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)
Distinguished Senior Member

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 12:51:50 AM »

Huh, our families just ask what does this or that mean. I haven't had anyone make assumptions about what my job or degree involves. They learned that lesson back when I was in my undergrad and they asked me what I did the previous semester. After I explained about the rather gross details about one particular class, they've just decided they'd rather not know!

My FIL does seem to think you should get interviews as soon as you apply for a job. We have to constantly remind him that it takes time. Weeks or months occasionally.

My funny thing is, a sister and a brother have both said they refuse to call me Doctor once I graduate. Well, duh! They're my siblings! Why would I expect them to?

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 1:07:05 AM »

"Why haven't you finished your dissertation yet?"

Oh wait.  That's not funny.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseñen bien a sus hijos.
always_seeking

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 1:21:49 AM »

The local K-12 public school district went on strike at the beginning of the school year. When my classes started my grandfather said, "Are you off strike?" I told him we were never on strike. You can just imagine the baffled look on his face.

My grandfather - bless his heart - doesn't understand that K-12 and University are two different things.
n8vtnn

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 1:28:08 AM »

My favorite thing that I hear is:

"You must love having the whole summer off!"
ipse_dixit

Post envy.

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 1:58:00 AM »

My mother, bless her, used to call my dissertation a "paper."

As in, "Is your paper done yet?"

"No, Ma, only 100 pages to go though!"

Don't sweat the petty stuff; don't pet the sweaty stuff.
Forumite #1959. And i-dix (pronounced Edict) when I'm painfully cool or something.
magimax
Magical

meow

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 3:01:12 AM »

My mother, bless her, used to call my dissertation a "paper."

As in, "Is your paper done yet?"

"No, Ma, only 100 pages to go though!"

Oh, the other thing is, "how long does your paper have to be?"  Like there's an arbitrary number or something.  But, that's not really surprising, since all through school students are told to write a paper of X length. 

Нема лоша ракиа, има малко.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 3:19:38 AM »

At my last teaching job, when I was still dissertating, students often visited me in my office.  A few of them, at one time or another, asked about my diss, and its length often came up.  They were astonished that it was running several hundred pages, and became pretty sheepish with regard to all their complaints about the 20-page (give or take) term paper I'd assigned.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseñen bien a sus hijos.
dr_stones
We broke a six-pack in the store to get just one

пошлите законоведами пушки и деньг

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 7:25:42 AM »

What do you do for money since you only work six hours a week?

"History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." Samuel "Steroid Free" Clemens
liquidambar

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 8:42:48 AM »

My parents and siblings are great.  All are college graduates, and my father is staff at a university, so they know how things work.  However, the locals in my home town tend to be less educated.

One fellow was impressed with my academic achievements and kept saying that I would get the Nobel Peace Prize.  He apparently didn't realize that there are different Nobels for different fields.  (I'm in the sciences.)

It’s not enough to bash in heads;
You’ve got to bash in minds!
(from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog)
dr_stones
We broke a six-pack in the store to get just one

пошлите законоведами пушки и деньг

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 8:52:20 AM »

My parents and siblings are great.  All are college graduates, and my father is staff at a university, so they know how things work.  However, the locals in my home town tend to be less educated.

One fellow was impressed with my academic achievements and kept saying that I would get the Nobel Peace Prize.  He apparently didn't realize that there are different Nobels for different fields.  (I'm in the sciences.)

That's OK . . . as a scientist you can still be nominated for the Peace Prize. Sakharov was a physicist, as was Linus Pauling.

But remember, they also awarded it to Kissinger and to Yassar Arafat, neither of whom did much to promote the cause of Peace.

"History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." Samuel "Steroid Free" Clemens
joey_fan

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 9:55:14 AM »

I had a similar conversation with a mover the other day. When I mentioned I was relocating for an academic job, he immediately sighed and asked: "OK, so how many bookcases do you have?"

When I called moving companies last week to get estimates about my impending move, one of them asked me what I did for a living, and then what field I was in.  I told him, then asked why he wanted to know.  "Books," he said, darkly.  "Always so many &%$# books."

Indeed.
elsie

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 9:56:15 AM »

I had a similar conversation with a mover the other day. When I mentioned I was relocating for an academic job, he immediately sighed and asked: "OK, so how many bookcases do you have?"

When I called moving companies last week to get estimates about my impending move, one of them asked me what I did for a living, and then what field I was in.  I told him, then asked why he wanted to know.  "Books," he said, darkly.  "Always so many &%$# books."

Indeed.

:-) They know us so well!

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff." - the Doctor
icurhere2
Tenured

I See You Are Here, Too

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »

No one has mentioned that having "assistant" in one's title doesn't signify that one's in a clerical / secretarial role.

"The only thing standing between you and success is talent" - Fortune Cookie
"You would make a good lawyer" - Fortune Cookie (twice)
"I can see you as a county commissioner or school principal" - first Provost
foxy_oxie

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »

Similar to the original post - when asked why i want to do a Phd i said b/c I enjoy teaching and she asked "What, high school?"

Another: neither of my parents have a uni ed. My mom asked what I am going to do all day at school - make maps? (I am in geog). Sweet woman, no context. My dad gets it though - he really should've had the chance to go to uni - would've gone far.

Winner of the Second Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
much_metta

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »

I've always found non-academics' understanding of the academic job market to be hilarious, going something like this:

A.  There are more colleges and universities than I can think of.
B.  Each one must have lots and lots of professors (because they all must be exactly like Gargantuan State U).
C.  With all we hear about colleges in the media, especially how they are taking on more and more students and tuition is getting more and more expensive, each one must be hiring more and more professors at outrageously high salaries.
D.  You are the ONLY person I know who has a Ph.D. and thus could be a professor.

Therefore, there must be WAY more job openings than there are people with Ph.D.s to fill them.

Therefore, anyone with a Ph.D. should be able to get any job they want, any time they want, at any college they want, regardless of field.  AND that job should pay them a mint.

ROTFLMAO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: