• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:50:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RMP in the real world  (Read 4134 times)
johnr
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: October 17, 2007, 8:10:42 PM »

More and more these days I have friends and relatives, outside of academia, mention to me that they read ALL about me on RMP.  How did this happen? Has it happened to anyone else? Who's telling these folks about RMP?  It's not only embarrassing, but damn unfair; I can't look them up and see how they're doing at their job! I'd love to strut up to one of my friends at some party and say, "Hey Joe, I read all about you on Rate My Bank Vice President (RMBVP)!  I see that all of your employees think that you're an obnoxious, blowhard, womanizer with a bad comb over, and how come you don't have any of them chili pepper things?".

zeegirl

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »

Oh, god.  I shuddered when I read this post. 

My mother reads about me on RMP.

("Moooooommmmm!  Stop it!")

On a slightly less mortifying note, maybe they've just Googled you, and RMP shows up on the first page?  Get more web pages with you mentioned, Google yourself, then click on all of them but the RMP.  Maybe you can bump the RMP page to the second page of your self-Google.  Then they'll have to work to find you.

Or maybe we can start a RateYourNon-Professor.com website? 

Hey!  We could have a RateYourOxfordRoundTable.com.  Wait.  That's been done. Hmmpf. <interthreaduality alert>
johnr

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:06:39 PM »

Oh, god.  I shuddered when I read this post. 

My mother reads about me on RMP.

("Moooooommmmm!  Stop it!")

On a slightly less mortifying note, maybe they've just Googled you, and RMP shows up on the first page?  Get more web pages with you mentioned, Google yourself, then click on all of them but the RMP.  Maybe you can bump the RMP page to the second page of your self-Google.  Then they'll have to work to find you.

Or maybe we can start a RateYourNon-Professor.com website? 

Hey!  We could have a RateYourOxfordRoundTable.com.  Wait.  That's been done. Hmmpf. <interthreaduality alert>

Good point, I didn't think about people finding my RMP through a google search.  Hey, why the heck are people googling me?
drenny

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:35:35 PM »

That is a terrible thought. I have had students google me and look me up on RMP from my other institution. They said my comments were pretty good and they approved and that's why they were taking me. They told me that bad one was just mean. I'm glad they are telling me this. Oh boy!
sikora
Gainfully employed

And so it goes, onward and upward

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 6:40:07 AM »

I've looked my mother up on RMP.  The reviews are great.

If you're not doing clinical trials or trying to keep people in outer space, it's not worth getting all anxious about.
slac_vap
Aliases include: slap_vac, shop_vac, slap_vap, slac_vac, and slac_vp.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:41:50 PM »

My mother-in-law made a big deal of telling me that she had googled me and there were so many webpages that mentioned me!  "You're famous!" she declared.  "No one else in the family had more than one or two links listed, and you had more than a whole page of them!"  And of course she followed a link to RMP, and told me all that she read.

Ack!  I was all weirded out.  It felt like an intrusion, though I'm sure I'm overreacting.

"...the world between reality and fantasy improv nonsense is blurred in Columbus." -David Gaus
finallyfullprof

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 2:19:56 PM »

Some professions are getting the RMP treatment.  Sites are available to rate your doctor, real estate agent, mechanic, and service personnel. The way things are going, I think it's just a matter of time before anyone who deals with the public and has a first and last name available is going to end up being rated somewhere. It's sad that we can't have direct communication with one another and instead have to resort to the anonymity of the web for matters better resolved face to face.
dundee
Legal Alien

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 2:33:16 PM »

Googling friends and acquaintances is quite common now, so it's inevitable that people's RMP ratings will come up. Lots of non-academics know about RMP due to coverage in the media and have been told about it by college-age children, friends, etc. Got to keep our lazy-four-hour-work-week-bums in line.

"Dublin, Dundee, Humberside ..."
bigstateu

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »

I like that people anywhere can read my RMP ratings and that folks can google me and see what I am up to (or at least what I am up to that generates press coverage or web coverage).

While RMP isn't a representative sample, it is really just an extension of word of mouth which also isn't a representative sample. The only real change is that RMP has a broader geographic scope than word of mouth.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: