"favorite" student e-mails

<< < (4740/5686) > >>

octoprof:
Quote from: cc_alan on April 21, 2013,  9:55:22 PM

Quote from: octoprof on April 21, 2013,  9:31:29 PM

Joe is one of my brighter students...

Sometimes people just want to be told what to do. People get tired, cranky, and stressed-out and just want someone to take the responsibility from him/her even if for a short period of time.

I'm *not* pointing fingers at you, Octo, just thinking out-loud since I have the same thing happen with my students. I know I've written this before but it fits-

Student: "Can you tell me the date of our next exam?"

Me: "You can check your syllabus. All the dates are in it."

Student: "I know, but I just want to know right now and I decided to ask you the question."

Me: "Yes, but that's what I gave you a schedule- so you don't have to ask me."

Alan

My honest in-person answer is "I don't recall the date of your next exam. I can look it up, though, and so can you."  With several preps (that all happen to be online this term - unusual for me), I made the schedules long before the term started. The exams are all in the testing center awaiting the appropriate date to roll around. I'm somewhat oblivious to the actual dates until they arrive and I need to grade. I'm sure that makes me odd, but that's the way it is with these courses (fully operational online courses where all the material is available to the students on the first day of the semester and the schedule will not change except for a snow day that hits on an exam day or something heinous like that).

mystictechgal:
Small upper-level majors class, and the Scantron reader is located in our professor's outer office, so all of the Scantron portions of our quizzes and exams get graded and returned immediately. (We just take a 10-minute break while he runs them through.) For our first one this term he came back in and announced (while staring at one of us) that one student got every question wrong. After a pause he noted that it was because one student had chosen to use a pen to fill it out. Of course, he hand graded that one, but we all had a great time ribbing the student about it, both then, and at the beginning of the next quiz.

Bioteacher, may I pass you a beverage of your choice? Look on the bright side. Yes, tomorrow is Monday, but that just means there will be one fewer Mondays between tomorrow and the end of the semester.

cc_alan:
Quote from: octoprof on April 21, 2013, 10:04:16 PM

My honest in-person answer is "I don't recall the date of your next exam. I can look it up, though, and so can you."  With several preps (that all happen to be online this term - unusual for me), I made the schedules long before the term started. The exams are all in the testing center awaiting the appropriate date to roll around. I'm somewhat oblivious to the actual dates until they arrive and I need to grade. I'm sure that makes me odd, but that's the way it is with these courses (fully operational online courses where all the material is available to the students on the first day of the semester and the schedule will not change except for a snow day that hits on an exam day or something heinous like that).

Similar with me. I have three lecture sections this term. Two sections are the same course but one is 3 days/week and the other is 2 days per week. Toss those schedules in with my other course and then all the labs I'm teaching and I sometimes don't know without looking what's happening later that week.

I have a couple of days this term in which I have big blocks of unscheduled time and that's when I see what's coming up. I try and have my printing done the week before. When I want to know what's next on the schedule, I do the same thing my students have to do- I look at the schedule.

Alan

bioteacher:
Forumites, hold me back!

I have finished replying very politely to the clueless students who want to nibble me to death as we finish day 1 of finals week.

One email was a long passage about how much a student studied and how they thought something had gone wrong in the grading process. Yeah, that one.

I replied that they had not asked any questions, so I wasn't sure what they wanted, but that the grading machine was extremely accurate.

I just got a reply. I wasn't asking any questions. I was just bringing the matter to your attention. I feel that I did so much work and should be able to pass your class. Your exam questions are vague. And the questions on the most recent exam were an attempt "to test our ability to acknowledge details (the basket question not having a specific handle) and not our knowledge of the material." I just wanted to express my feelings about how you write your exams.

If I understand this correctly, my exams are too vague because they ask students to know specific details and not vague themes.

WTF???

And my exams need to be better written? Pot... go look in the mirror. You might see yourself.

HOLD ME BACK. I want to reply. I'm trying to sit on my hands.

democritus:
Quote from: bioteacher on April 22, 2013,  5:59:24 PM

Forumites, hold me back!

I have finished replying very politely to the clueless students who want to nibble me to death as we finish day 1 of finals week.

One email was a long passage about how much a student studied and how they thought something had gone wrong in the grading process. Yeah, that one.

I replied that they had not asked any questions, so I wasn't sure what they wanted, but that the grading machine was extremely accurate.

I just got a reply. I wasn't asking any questions. I was just bringing the matter to your attention. I feel that I did so much work and should be able to pass your class. Your exam questions are vague. And the questions on the most recent exam were an attempt "to test our ability to acknowledge details (the basket question not having a specific handle) and not our knowledge of the material." I just wanted to express my feelings about how you write your exams.

If I understand this correctly, my exams are too vague because they ask students to know specific details and not vague themes.

WTF???

And my exams need to be better written? Pot... go look in the mirror. You might see yourself.

HOLD ME BACK. I want to reply. I'm trying to sit on my hands.

Breathe! A random student didn't care for your exams and made some groundless complaints about it. Not a big deal at all. If every student liked your exams, you'd almost certainly be doing it wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page