Sports Novels

(1/6) > >>

I'm teaching a course in sports fiction and would like to include a novel or two.  I have a long list of favorites, but if my fellow forumites have recommendations, I'd love to hear them.  I'm particularly interested in novels (fiction, not non-fiction) of the last ten years or so (which is since I last constructed the syllabus).  It would be nice to have some suggestions by female authors or with female protagonists and about sports other than baseball. 

Thanks ahead of time!

Well, this doesn't focus on women, but I'd suggest Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch.

Also, Kinsella's Shoeless Joe, which became Field of Dreams, and therefore violates all your requests, being about baseball, more than ten years old, and not about women.  I hope someone else is more help than I am.

The first one that comes to mind is Joseph O'Neill's Netherland about cricket played by immigrants in NYC.  But I have to confess that I have not yet read it myself, though the reviews made it sounds very interesting and I do intend to one of these days.  Sorry, not a female progatonist.

Any chance Bend it Like Beckham was based on a novel?

The only thing I could think of was Running with the Buffaloes, which is not fiction and not about women, so I fail.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page