Sports Novels

(1/6) > >>

mended_drum:
I'm teaching a course in sports fiction and would like to include a novel or two.  I have a long list of favorites, but if my fellow forumites have recommendations, I'd love to hear them.  I'm particularly interested in novels (fiction, not non-fiction) of the last ten years or so (which is since I last constructed the syllabus).  It would be nice to have some suggestions by female authors or with female protagonists and about sports other than baseball. 

Thanks ahead of time!

hegemony:
Well, this doesn't focus on women, but I'd suggest Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch.

hegemony:
Also, Kinsella's Shoeless Joe, which became Field of Dreams, and therefore violates all your requests, being about baseball, more than ten years old, and not about women.  I hope someone else is more help than I am.

crowie:
The first one that comes to mind is Joseph O'Neill's Netherland about cricket played by immigrants in NYC.  But I have to confess that I have not yet read it myself, though the reviews made it sounds very interesting and I do intend to one of these days.  Sorry, not a female progatonist.

lohai0:
Any chance Bend it Like Beckham was based on a novel?

The only thing I could think of was Running with the Buffaloes, which is not fiction and not about women, so I fail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page