"favorite" student e-mails

<< < (4582/5685) > >>

fishprof:
Yeah, I used to do that....until I got reamed by our continuing ed director (who runs the night courses), insisting that I help any student I allow into my class to pass, as it looks bad for his division if we let them in late and then they fail.

Since my pay won't go up, but my headaches will, I now just say no.

(A couple of days?? sure.  Four weeks?? no way.)

dept_geek:
Quote from: dr_evil on February 02, 2013, 12:35:14 PM

Quote from: dept_geek on February 02, 2013, 12:18:08 PM

Quote from: dr_evil on February 02, 2013, 11:42:52 AM

Today's email:
Dr. Evil,
When is the homework assignment due?

Being evil, instead of simply answering, I directed the student to where the answer could be found.  I'm not dealing with this all semester long.

I am equally evil (hi twin!!) and I even have at the top of the CMS page call "Cource Content" a file called "schedule of readings and assignments".

As I have dared to do this, I am now condensending for suggesting the student read and process the information without me reading (this is an online class -no lectures to glare at me through....). I am equally as condensending for suggesting student read the book, do all the in-chapter examples, watch the videos, and use the discussion board. Now student wants me to call them "at my convenience to discuss" that apparent condensending-ness.  Uh. No.  That is what office hours are for.   I do not spoon feed which makes me condensending I guess.  Too bad so sad.  Let me refer you to the program chair for this course. 

I have two students which make me dread opening my email.... Next week is week 4 so... 25% done.  Sigh...

Hi, Twin!  I don't think some of my students know the word condescending.  I've had them ask me to define some fairly typical (to me) words, not just the Evil Science terms.

Oh goody. Mr Condescending is well known to my dean.  I have bounced the case upstairs.  <wipes hands> Not. My. Problem.

flippin_hot_curry:
Quote from: cc_alan on February 04, 2013,  6:17:20 PM

Quote from: flippin_hot_curry on February 04, 2013,  5:41:33 PM

First, that is not "a lot of emails." Second, why does my university email account send email from student's university email account directly to junk mail?

Did the email have a subject?

Alan

Good question. Yes. And I have the university's student email domain in my safe sender list. I call shenanigans, dagnabit.

amlithist:
Just in this morning, from an online Comp I student--in its entirety:

am sure i did the assignment about five years later and i dont see where you have reply to it or see my work?

That's it.  I've never seen, spoken, or corresponded with this student before, nor has she turned in one word of work so far, save the (nearly incomprehensible response to the) required first assignment ("introduce yourself on the discussion board").  I wrote back, chiding her about email etiquette and pointing out that I have no CLUE what she means.

On the other hand, it does have a kind of mind-numbing, zen quality about it, doesn't it?  Maybe I could print it out and tape it to the edge of my monitor, to calm me when needed.

cine_elle:
Quote from: amlithist on February 05, 2013,  9:36:16 AM

Just in this morning, from an online Comp I student--in its entirety:

am sure i did the assignment about five years later and i dont see where you have reply to it or see my work?

That's it.  I've never seen, spoken, or corresponded with this student before, nor has she turned in one word of work so far, save the (nearly incomprehensible response to the) required first assignment ("introduce yourself on the discussion board").  I wrote back, chiding her about email etiquette and pointing out that I have no CLUE what she means.

On the other hand, it does have a kind of mind-numbing, zen quality about it, doesn't it?  Maybe I could print it out and tape it to the edge of my monitor, to calm me when needed.

That screams "google translate" to me. Maybe this student is a non-native English speaker who squeaked in without the required language skills?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page