How to interpret students not filling out evaluations?

(1/7) > >>

theodore1:
My uni just adopted online evaluations in the fall, and 1/3 of my class did not fill them out.  How should I interpret this lack of response?

polly_mer:
Students aren't going to bother to do something that requires any amount of effort unless they are either very diligent or have a significant axe to grind.

marigolds:
Quote from: theodore1 on January 18, 2013,  5:34:36 PM

My uni just adopted online evaluations in the fall, and 1/3 of my class did not fill them out.  How should I interpret this lack of response?

It is super-common.  (That's a great response rate, actually.) We make time to give them online in class to get a high response rate; some unis won't release student grades until they do their evals.

I would interpret it as student apathy.  

geonerd:
+1 to both Polly and Marigolds. Compared to my university, a 33% participation rate for online evaluations is great.

msparticularity:
I was able to give extra credit to my students for completing the online apps, equivalent to the credit for one day's in-class activities (so maybe 1% of the final grade). I announced that I would do it and emailed the link to the students, then the eval administrator just emailed us a list of the students who had completed evals the day before grades were due. I got roughly 90%, and it did actually help push one student from a B- to a B.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page