• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: ABD on the market-support group  (Read 331392 times)
westcoastgirl
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #600 on: November 14, 2012, 1:42:38 PM »

Submitted my first applications this weekend -- 2 tenure-track jobs and a multi-year postdoc.  Hard not to feel, as an ABD, that most of this time and energy is just . . . wasted.

I'm trying to be optimistic, I really am.  And I know that I'm in a decent situation, even if things don't work out -- I'm fully funded through at least December 2013, and I'll go on the market next year either with the degree in hand or with the defense literally scheduled for before Thanksgiving.

Still, it's hard to to feel kind of doomed to fail right now.

Don't feel this way. Almost all of my friends (in the Humanities) are ABD (I was ABD at time time last year and I did ok). I'm really impressed with the amount of interviews they have. I've been practice-interviewing with a few of them (I'm no expert interviewer, but I have an official list of questions and a bunch of informal ones I draw on from the my past experience and those of friends). I'm glad to share some tips via PM.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
marianne_renoir

« Reply #601 on: November 16, 2012, 1:26:40 AM »

I may hit you up on that westcoastgirl, if I can get an interview!

I just submitted a slew of applications, working ahead of deadlines (!), in the hope of creating some writing time for me so I can get this beast done.  I have made a vow to myself that I will hand the finished thing to my advisor when we come back from break in January (if not sooner). And now I've made that vow public, so that should help me stick to it. I hope.
cacophony

« Reply #602 on: November 17, 2012, 2:25:07 PM »

With ABDs it seems to depend a lot on the field. Two of my friends were on the market last year, both ABDs, both landed TT jobs. Another ABD friend has interviews at a big conference this weekend. I've gotten mostly wiki-rejections thus far, one interview invitation.

On the other hand, an ABD friend from a different field is very pessimistic about her chances on the market (and has been getting rejections only thus far) and from what she says it seems that in her field it's very hard for an ABD to even get a screening interview.

It's actually interesting why it should depend on the field so much.

I've heard that it's similar with publications - in some fields practically a must, in others well seen of course but not required.

All we can do is to keep applying...
lohai0

« Reply #603 on: November 18, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »

The letter my advisor uploaded yesterday was for one of the RU/VH I only applied with his encouragement. (Well, nagging). It was one that only asked for references, so I at least made the first cut. That was more than I expected.

Applied to: 19
Contacted by: 4
Phone Interviews: 2

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #604 on: November 18, 2012, 3:03:44 PM »

The letter my advisor uploaded yesterday was for one of the RU/VH I only applied with his encouragement. (Well, nagging). It was one that only asked for references, so I at least made the first cut. That was more than I expected.

These are pretty good numbers, lohai0.

I know my dept is trying to finalize our ads, but they have been held up since our Provost wants to approve all add copy and she has been in China. I think you are going to see a flood of ads start to come out over the winter holiday.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
lohai0

« Reply #605 on: November 18, 2012, 3:09:32 PM »

I know my dept is trying to finalize our ads, but they have been held up since our Provost wants to approve all add copy and she has been in China. I think you are going to see a flood of ads start to come out over the winter holiday.

About half of mine closed this Friday or next Friday, so I'm really happy with the numbers so far. There are a few of the big postdocs that I know aren't up yet, so I keep perusing every week.

baleful_regards

« Reply #606 on: November 18, 2012, 3:18:15 PM »

About half of mine closed this Friday or next Friday, so I'm really happy with the numbers so far. There are a few of the big postdocs that I know aren't up yet, so I keep perusing every week.

I have to say that watching internally how the line gets primary approval...then final approval, then has to have the ad drafted and run through AA, and the several levels of HR through the Provost ( with send backs for corrections/revisions) I have a great deal more sympathy for the difficulty in just getting the ad out the door.

I had a SC meeting on Friday and we were trying to project when we were going to have the ads approved/launched so we could look at when we could begin reviewing materials and hopefully doing phone interviews ===> Campus interviews. I don't think we are going to be able to speak to anyone before February.

From what I can recall of last year, the UK ads died down about December and a flood of US ads began. 80% of my US interviews happened in March.

I think you are going to find a spot lohai0 - the field is a bit more fluid than some others out there and your initial numbers are very very good.

lohai0

« Reply #607 on: November 18, 2012, 3:28:31 PM »

I have to say that watching internally how the line gets primary approval...then final approval, then has to have the ad drafted and run through AA, and the several levels of HR through the Provost ( with send backs for corrections/revisions) I have a great deal more sympathy for the difficulty in just getting the ad out the door.

I had a SC meeting on Friday and we were trying to project when we were going to have the ads approved/launched so we could look at when we could begin reviewing materials and hopefully doing phone interviews ===> Campus interviews. I don't think we are going to be able to speak to anyone before February.

From what I can recall of last year, the UK ads died down about December and a flood of US ads began. 80% of my US interviews happened in March.

I think you are going to find a spot lohai0 - the field is a bit more fluid than some others out there and your initial numbers are very very good.

Thanks. I have a craved-in-a-stone-tablet defense date, which helps. Part of my apprehension was that TTO would only write letters for RU/VH or RU/H TT or post-doc jobs. As usual, it would seem that he was right. It is really annoying how often he is right. So far it's about TTO 3 billion, Me 2

promovenda
Just thrilled to be a

Lost in the library

« Reply #608 on: November 19, 2012, 1:11:28 PM »

HEY EVERYONE!!!!!!

LAST THURSDAY I WAS INTERVIEWED FOR A TT POSITION, GOT IT AND ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!

[#still not real to me]

"You're a wonderful bartender, Promovenda.  The hamster bestows one of his special nibbles on your ear."
baleful_regards

« Reply #609 on: November 19, 2012, 1:13:21 PM »

HEY EVERYONE!!!!!!

[#still not real to me]

WOO HOO! Very hearty congratulations. It won't be real for a while, I fear. Just coast on the momentary feeling of relief! You deserve it.

lohai0

« Reply #610 on: November 19, 2012, 1:13:54 PM »

HEY EVERYONE!!!!!!

[#still not real to me]

Congrats!!!

barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #611 on: November 19, 2012, 1:48:28 PM »

HEY EVERYONE!!!!!!

[#still not real to me]

Huzzah!
historianintraining

« Reply #612 on: November 19, 2012, 1:56:23 PM »

Congratulations, promovenda!

Carrie
marianne_renoir

« Reply #613 on: November 19, 2012, 3:40:36 PM »

HEY EVERYONE!!!!!!

[#still not real to me]

Congratulations!
westcoastgirl

« Reply #614 on: November 19, 2012, 9:05:52 PM »

I may hit you up on that westcoastgirl, if I can get an interview!

I just submitted a slew of applications, working ahead of deadlines (!), in the hope of creating some writing time for me so I can get this beast done.  I have made a vow to myself that I will hand the finished thing to my advisor when we come back from break in January (if not sooner). And now I've made that vow public, so that should help me stick to it. I hope.

I'd be more than happy to help. One friend and I even skyped to simulate the real thing.

My other (sort of lazy) friend and I "interviewed" in person, over and over last week. I was quite annoyed (though we were under the influence) because after each question I asked, this person would say "No, you answer the questions, I'll just take notes on what you say." This was before I knew I had an interview at a weekend conference (since it was last minute and unexpected). Now, I have to thank him, because it did help me a bunch.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to: