• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:33:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Morgan State Professor Charged with Defrauding NSF of Grant Money  (Read 6981 times)
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a
Distinguished Senior Member

No recess.

« on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »

Link to Chronicle article.

Link to article in Baltimore Sun.

Note that this grant did not go through Morgan State's OSP but through the professor's private company since this was a Small Business Technology Transfer grant.

I sort of locked on this because someone I know was caught defrauding his university and, after repaying the money, was deported.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:06:56 PM by southerntransplant » Logged

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
alleyoxenfree

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 4:12:43 AM »

No one thought it was odd that he claimed 160 peer-reviewed articles at this point in his career?  Did anyone check?
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 6:20:07 AM »

Waste of NSF resources, they shouldn't be in the tech-transfer business. Just because most universities do a bad job of this, that doesn't mean there's any reason NSF would do it better. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »

No one thought it was odd that he claimed 160 peer-reviewed articles at this point in his career?  Did anyone check?

What's fishy on the surface of claiming 160 peer-reviewed articles by a 45-year-old engineer?  His master's degree dates from 1993 and he's served in government capacities that may lead to co-authorship even though he didn't lead the team.  In addition, his doctorate is more than 10 years old in a field where publishing 20 articles a year is not unreasonable.

If we're immediately suspicious of people just because they have served in government and claim to have 150+ peer-reviewed articles as well as books (a quick check on Google scholar with some spot checking indicates that Jha at Morgan State did publish a reasonable number of things including a couple of easily located books), then we don't get out very much.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
archman

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 1:22:33 PM »

Yeah, as a biologist, seeing some dude claiming 160 peer-reviewed pubs would scream suspicion immediately.

That high a number is very fishy. Even for the "gene jocks". For a professor of his age, at a R1, I would expect the "high end" to be one-third of that number.

Now if he's in been in government work most of the time, he could have his name on *dozens* of reports. But those are not usually peer reviewed at all. And I doubt even for that grey literature, he would not exceed more than 80 reports.

I guess cranking out an ungodly amount of peer-reviewed pubs is possible in engineering. The fellow in question is an engineer I believe.
mozman

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 1:34:19 PM »

Yeah, as a biologist, seeing some dude claiming 160 peer-reviewed pubs would scream suspicion immediately.

That high a number is very fishy. Even for the "gene jocks". For a professor of his age, at a R1, I would expect the "high end" to be one-third of that number.

I'm a biologist and I flat-out disagree with this. I'm younger than this guy and less than 10 years post-PhD and I'm close to 80 publications - should hit it next year. In 10 more years at this pace, I would fully expect to have 150+ papers (maybe sooner, as my publication rate is going up as the years pass).

Could you grow the foot into another patient? I mean, you are a scientist.
archman

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 3:26:14 PM »

I'm a biologist and I flat-out disagree with this. I'm younger than this guy and less than 10 years post-PhD and I'm close to 80 publications - should hit it next year. In 10 more years at this pace, I would fully expect to have 150+ papers (maybe sooner, as my publication rate is going up as the years pass).
Hm... must be field specific. I am intensely curious as to what field of biology cranks out at this rate, and what rates being considered a co-author.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 3:29:31 PM by archman » Logged
busyslinky

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 4:06:44 PM »

I was wondering about the 160 number as well.  But, you can consider some conference proceedings and even book chapters as peer-reviewed.

In some fields that is a very large number.  A quick Google Scholar search (Yes, there are more important things to do, but what is the Fora for if not for procrastination?) will show that he has a couple dozen journal hits, in the first few pages.  He probably has a number more not highly cited works.  Also, not all proceedings and book chapters are captured by Google Scholar. 

In NSF proposals you usually don't send a long CV.  I think they still only allow a 2 pager. 

Such a wonderful toy!
mozman

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 5:06:52 PM »

Hm... must be field specific. I am intensely curious as to what field of biology cranks out at this rate, and what rates being considered a co-author.

Molecular biology (and microbiology and a few other subjects). We publish something like 10 papers a year from my lab.

archman

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 5:28:44 PM »

Molecular biology (and microbiology and a few other subjects). We publish something like 10 papers a year from my lab.
Yea... I was half-afraid of hearing that exact answer. Ha.
mozman

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 5:41:18 PM »

Heh. No offense taken. Sometimes I have to sit back myself and ponder at the absurdity of it all.

archman

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 5:45:02 PM »

Heh. No offense taken. Sometimes I have to sit back myself and ponder at the absurdity of it all.
Keeping track of all those manuscripts, grad students, grant proposals, etc... must be a #%^& nightmare. You have my sincere respect, admiration, and pity. Heehee.
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 6:01:03 PM »

Not everyone is cranking out 10 peer-reviewed single author papers/year?  C'mon people, get cracking! - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
mozman

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 6:11:40 PM »

Not everyone is cranking out 10 peer-reviewed single author papers/year?  C'mon people, get cracking! - DvF

Single author?  What are you smoking? Average author number is 3-4; First author is the student/postdoc who did the majority of the work, second author is usually the junior grad student who helped, third author is my (phenomenal) technician, and last is me. I do a lot of data analysis and a fair amount of the writing (more or less depending on the English skills of the grad student/postdoc).

I actually do have about one single-author paper per year on average, usually from theoretical mathematical modeling stuff that I do on the side (my secret shame). Its unusual in my field - unusual enough to be remarked upon by letter writers in my promotion packet.

daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 7:09:22 PM »

Well, originally I was going to write "Not everyone is cranking out 10 peer-reviewed single author papers/year in high-impact journals?" but I thought that would be asking too much. - DvF

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: