• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:27:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Brrrr..... is it winter yet?  (Read 36773 times)
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 4:20:18 AM »

<reaches for the sunscreen>

I bet you only need sunscreen because of the hole in the ozone layer! If it is sunny, just you wait until the wind gets up and the rains come in..... Wellington is the only place I have attempted to fly to and had my flight not go because the plane could not be guaranteed to land. Or, at least, the plane could not be guaranteed to land on the runway (I love the laconic announcements on Air New Zealand). It is also the only place I needed a fleece during my mid-summer NZ trip (that is mid-summer for NZ).

And since you ask, yes I am jealous. It is mild, grey and dank here.
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 5:33:53 AM »

I bet you only need sunscreen because of the hole in the ozone layer! If it is sunny, just you wait until the wind gets up and the rains come in..... Wellington is the only place I have attempted to fly to and had my flight not go because the plane could not be guaranteed to land. Or, at least, the plane could not be guaranteed to land on the runway (I love the laconic announcements on Air New Zealand). It is also the only place I needed a fleece during my mid-summer NZ trip (that is mid-summer for NZ).

If it makes you feel any worse, last Friday a guy at the place I'm visiting said something like "I knew you must be here; the weather is cracking".

Apparently Saturday a week ago was awful, and a guy I know was on a flight from Auckland that did 2 pull ups before landing on the 3rd attempt. But the following day, when i arrived, was lovely and at 4:30 PM I was drinking beer in the sun outside (NW facing) St. John's. I'm now considered a regular...

However, the ozone hole is definitely a motivator for the sunscreen or I'd be coming home with an even better tan!

[Sorry to be so obnoxious; I've getting pressure from work about the extent of my international travel from THOSE THAT DO NO RESEARCH. Hence, I initially thought that I wouldn't advertise that this trip was to sunny NZ. For better or worse, I've now decided to hell with it and will attend the Faculty Executive Committee meeting on Monday wearing a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up.]

No doubt karma will come back to bite; it'll probably be freezing in San Francisco when I'm there in early December.

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
scotia

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 6:07:35 AM »

Sorry to be so obnoxious; I've getting pressure from work about the extent of my international travel from THOSE THAT DO NO RESEARCH. Hence, I initially thought that I wouldn't advertise that this trip was to sunny NZ. For better or worse, I've now decided to hell with it and will attend the Faculty Executive Committee meeting on Monday wearing a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

No doubt karma will come back to bite; it'll probably be freezing in San Francisco when I'm there in early December.

I didn't see it as obnoxious - I need to believe that the grey will not last for ever!

And WTH on the international travel?! If that is what it takes to get research done, then that is what needs to be done. I am currently involved in drafting mock REF documentation for our Unit of Assessment and it is very noticeable that the people who whine most are the ones we are currently labelling as 'doubtful', 'very doubtful' and 'h3ll no' for submission (they whine about workload, how their teaching loads - in line with the norm for our department if not even on the low side - are too high, how they are over-burdened with adminstration - not sure what they count as admin, because in two cases as HoD they proved to be so useless at admin that I took tasks off them to reduce other people's workload! - and tell us about how some marginal conference in a very beautiful place is essential to their research). We have one person who has been quite open with us and taken a higher teaching load so that they could be relieved of the pressure they felt for REF submission, but the rest.......
science_expat

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 2:11:34 PM »

It's the same here. Following a discussion about term time travel, one guy sent around a quite sanctimonious email about how HE wouldn't be doing any. Of course, he's also highly unlikely to be included in the REF.

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 6:02:07 PM »

Time travel!

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 3:21:41 PM »

Rain in London today was pretty icy, though it wasn't heavy and didn't last long.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
scotia

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 4:31:35 PM »

It looks as though we are in for a sunny and cold weekend - which i would love but it coincides with me attending indoor events on both Saturday and Sunday - and a frost tomorrow night. Which is just great as I will probably get home at about midnight after a long drive on Saturday and be up at 6 am on Sunday for another drive so should get the roads at their best [/sarcasm].
science_expat

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 7:49:31 PM »

It's going to be a shock but glad it should be dry when I get back.

scotia

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 4:43:04 AM »

Wet and windy here. I suspect this is the end of the Fall color (which has been spectacular and long-lasting in this part of the world).
drspouse

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 6:17:54 AM »

Today is a two-coat day, though slightly for administrative reasons. It is my first day back in the office (boo!) after being on leave with babyspouse, and my warm raincoat has been in the office all year, owing to a hasty departure in January.  So I set out with a wool coat but will go home with both coats, wearing the raincoat I suspect.  Hopefully neither will get blown away on the way home.
scotia

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 6:57:32 AM »

Today is a two-coat day, though slightly for administrative reasons. It is my first day back in the office (boo!) after being on leave with babyspouse, and my warm raincoat has been in the office all year, owing to a hasty departure in January.  So I set out with a wool coat but will go home with both coats, wearing the raincoat I suspect.  Hopefully neither will get blown away on the way home.

Welcome back. I hope re-entry is not too much of a shock to the system.
drspouse

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 8:07:04 AM »

So far I'm just hiding, and trying not to slip on the pile of journals in their plastic coatings. Nice computer guy has updated everything he can think of (though I just spotted something he missed), and HoD has got our important meeting down for the wrong day (but that's not too surprising).

It can't be too bad though, as I previously discovered (through amassing unopened professional magazines) that the plastic mailing bags disintegrate if left for too long. None have disintegrated this time.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 8:58:03 AM »

Wet and windy here. I suspect this is the end of the Fall color (which has been spectacular and long-lasting in this part of the world).

Not all of the deciduous trees around here have even turned completely, let alone shed.  I am, however, grateful that my view out of the kitchen window includes a lot of evergreens.  Seeing a bit of green through the winter is heartening. 

frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

Not all of the deciduous trees around here have even turned completely, let alone shed.  I am, however, grateful that my view out of the kitchen window includes a lot of evergreens.  Seeing a bit of green through the winter is heartening. 

Spoke too soon - this afternoon's wind and rain has already half stripped the big sycamore across the street.

wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 8:06:25 AM »

Yesterday's horrible wind and rain seems to have done the job around here as well. The taxi this morning took the scenic route through the park (two red stags and a fallow stag on display), and everything was looking pretty bare.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: