• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 7:47:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: one bad apple...  (Read 16903 times)
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »

Faculty are the main event at a college. Students come for the faculty--not the deans.

Wow.  So students aren't the main event?  Neither is scholarship?

This explains a lot about prytania.

I'll repeat. Faculty are the main event.

If none of the administration showed up for a day or week--my college would continue on. Students would come; professors would teach.

If the faculty didn't show up--the whole place would shut down. There would be no reason for students to be there.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
flyingbison

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 3:44:19 PM »

Faculty are the main event at a college. Students come for the faculty--not the deans.

If none of the administration showed up for a day or week--my college would continue on. Students would come; professors would teach.

If the faculty didn't show up--the whole place would shut down. There would be no reason for students to be there.

I think the faculty would stop coming when they realized there was no one processing their paychecks anymore, students could not enroll in classes, and there was no way to record grades/transcripts or confer degrees.

Resist much, obey little.
tuxthepenguin

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »

I think the faculty would stop coming when they realized there was no one processing their paychecks anymore, students could not enroll in classes, and there was no way to record grades/transcripts or confer degrees.

That is a very small part of university administration these days. They hire people to bring in speakers so that they can schedule meetings for faculty. And they hire people to coordinate the hiring of administrators. And they hire consultants to tell them how to organize the university's decision making process, and then an administrator schedules a meeting to explain the advice, and then a different administrator sets up a feedback survey, and the cycle continues. There's no problem that can't be solved by hiring another administrator.
flyingbison

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 2:11:51 PM »

That is a very small part of university administration these days. They hire people to bring in speakers so that they can schedule meetings for faculty. And they hire people to coordinate the hiring of administrators. And they hire consultants to tell them how to organize the university's decision making process, and then an administrator schedules a meeting to explain the advice, and then a different administrator sets up a feedback survey, and the cycle continues. There's no problem that can't be solved by hiring another administrator.

No disagreement here - I'm painfully aware of that trend. 

Resist much, obey little.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 5:30:46 PM »

As long as payroll and purchasing were running, the faculty could go a long, long time.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: