• December 1, 2015

Chronicle Forums

December 01, 2015, 12:33:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:31:33 pm 
Started by treehugger1 - Last post by wet_blanket
Any other ideas for relatively high risk/high reward funds?

Slot machines.

But if it's the case that you literally have more money than you know what to do with, perhaps there is a charity that might benefit from your windfall.

on: Today at 12:30:56 pm 
Started by _touchedbyanoodle_ - Last post by thatmoody
Add me to the inconsistent trying to get back into it camp. I ran yesterday - whee! It was only a mile - booo!!!

But it did feel good - have to tap into that for tomorrow...

on: Today at 12:27:38 pm 
Started by mtnlover - Last post by marshwiggle
I think that theoretically student evals could be used to assess teacher performance. Since students are the 'customers'. The problem is that these are customers who don't want what is in their own long term best interest.

The problem is when they are done. If they were done after graduation, where students evaluated all of the profs they'd had, their perspective would be much different than at the end of each course.

on: Today at 12:25:59 pm 
Started by DrNefario - Last post by DrNefario
Apologies for re-asking a fairly common question, but there are enough nuances to my situation that specific input would be helpful.

I recently interviewed for a new position over the phone, which hopefully will lead to a campus visit. Since the interview, I received an additional grant and have also had a couple more papers accepted. My question is whether I should send an updated CV with this info to the search committee. The normal answer would presumably be yes, but I see both advantages and disadvantages:

1. During the phone interview, the search committee focused specifically on grantsmanship, and questioned my track record a bit in this department (apparently supporting myself entirely on soft money for 20+ years didn't impress them). Informing them of the additional grant could potentially sway this opinion.

2. On the other hand, this recent grant is just internal seed money, and is simply meant to be the prelude to the sort of big fish to which those in my field aspire.  It is also not portable, and hence might cause them to somehow think that I'm not movable.

As for the papers, while they would provide evidence of ongoing productivity, they don't represent major additions to my CV, and I would not consider them alone to be particularly newsworthy. Along with the grant, though, might they be enough to make it worth sending an updated CV? (Perhaps just referring generically to "recent changes" so as to not appear to be bragging?)

on: Today at 12:15:16 pm 
Started by barnaclegoose - Last post by tinyzombie
These are fabulous questions, Dr_A. Stealing for my Later file.

Thirty minutes would be a long time for some of my students (particularly the shy ones). When I do conferences, they are usually fifteen minutes.

While I block out thirty minutes, it's true not every student needs/wants that much one-on-one time. Some, however, would happily sit for a full hour with me to talk things through. So half an hour is easy to block out for scheduling purposes and hits the sweet spot in terms of length.

I wish I had an hour per student! I wish more of them had time to talk that long, too.

on: Today at 12:12:46 pm 
Started by radieuse - Last post by suomynona
OP, I'm concerned about how you're handling the plagiarism situation.  Plagiarism isn't one-size-fits-all; different cultures have very different ideas about what constitutes acceptable copying, borrowing, citation, and intellectual property usage.  'You failed because you plagiarized' should make sense to a US-raised college student, but it might as well be 'you failed because you failed' to someone who doesn't understand what plagiarism means in this setting.  It's not clear from your posts that you've made much of an effort to learn from the student about what their understanding of plagiarism and/or acceptable usage is, then to explain to them how theirs is different from those of you and your university.  My US-raised students often struggle with what constitutes plagiarism in our common institutional understanding; and it's not uncommon for my international students to be totally blindsided when I explain to them that what's acceptable usage where they come from is not always acceptable here.

on: Today at 12:08:58 pm 
Started by octoprof - Last post by tinyzombie
It's raining, I'm exhausted, and I can't go home and rest for a long time.

on: Today at 12:02:19 pm 
Started by treehugger1 - Last post by treehugger1
Thanks for the suggestions.

We are debt-free except for the mortgage ($185,801 still outstanding) and we refinanced that last year, so we have a low interest rate -- 3.3%

We have no big expenses looming. If anything we have too much lying around in our checking and savings accounts. And we are child-free.

We already have enough for retirement and Mr. Treehugger is planning on working another 10 years or so.

I am thinking about investing the $5,000 in the Vanguard Morgan Growth Fund. According to the info Vanguard supplies, the fund has averaged a 10% annual return since it's inception in 1968. The minimum investment is $3,000, so it looks like I'm good there.

Any other ideas for relatively high risk/high reward funds?

on: Today at 11:59:32 am 
Started by nescafe - Last post by tamina
I applied for a job this year and then learned a friend of mine also applied for it. We're both tenured at our current institutions. And while I think I am a great candidate for the position, I think she is too.  She told me she applied because she knows I am familiar with the area where the job is and wanted to know what I thought of it. I chose not to tell her I applied. We are not best friends, but we are more than acquaintances. I've decided that if I get invited to interview I will tell her. If I don't get invited then nothing needs to be said. That's where I landed on a similar issue.

on: Today at 11:46:36 am 
Started by octoprof - Last post by pareadocs
Our semester started late, so we have two weeks until finals instead of the usual one.

Our semester started early and yet we have two weeks until finals too.
You poor thing. There seems something screwy with that math. Did you get one of those mythical fall breaks or something?

Yes, between Labor Day, Thanksgiving break, and "fall break" we basically get enough days off to "justify" the addition of one more week.  At least that's the only way I can get the math to work out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10