• May 3, 2016

Chronicle Forums

May 03, 2016, 6:06:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 05:57:06 pm 
Started by zedpark - Last post by artalot
I really think you're putting the cart before the horse here. You need to get on the ground and get a lay of the land before you go seeking mentors. As others have said, there may be a formal mentoring program, your colleagues on sabbatical may volunteer their time, or they may begrudge it.
Also, never underestimate the power of a little ignorance. I found that not knowing what was going on was sometimes useful my first year. When faculty got into squabbles and wanted me to take sides, I could just cite my 'newness' and back off. I can't do that anymore, unfortunately.

on: Today at 05:55:04 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by aside
[unrelated]

Could you be any more condescending?

Yes, but it would be beneath me.

on: Today at 05:44:17 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by juvenal
I do not want to read around your 1.25-inch margins or your gauche use of size 13 sans serif fonts when everyone knows that 12-point Times New Roman is just. f***ing. Standard.

Yes.

So much wanting to hug the author.

"Serifs"?  What are those?  Don't see any around here.

on: Today at 05:31:43 pm 
Started by merinoblue - Last post by helpful
Carousel

Why can't I get over jet lag. It has been two weeks already!

on: Today at 05:29:18 pm 
Started by blueghost - Last post by blueghost
Does anyone know of grants open to non-tenure track/visiting faculty in the physical sciences? I am fortunate to be at a school that provides some professional development funding and pays summer research students, even for visitors, but a bigger grant always helps, and I'd imagine looks good on a CV when looking for TT jobs. However, all of the grants I've found are for TT only.

on: Today at 05:24:03 pm 
Started by mathminion - Last post by fishprof
Bourbon.
I'm not sure this would count as "strange".

At this point in the semester, having any left is definitely strange.

on: Today at 05:22:20 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by mountainguy
[unrelated]

Could you be any more condescending?

on: Today at 05:20:18 pm 
Started by rowan1 - Last post by mountainguy
Not quite ready to change the, unless this counts:

In his course evaluation, one of my students bemoaned the indignity that "the only way to pass the reading quizzes was to read the book!" 

I got this complaint a few times at my last university. I considered it a compliment, and think it's worth showing to any administrator who thinks that customer satisfaction surveys student evals are valid assessment instruments.

on: Today at 05:19:07 pm 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by ruralguy
What's hilarious about the Oswald thing is that Trump is going even more overboard than the tabloid he appears to be referencing. That tabloid, and I am just going by reports of what it said, merely claimed that Oswald and  Pappa Cruz
were at a rally to support  Castro in New Orleans, in  AUGUST of 1963. They claimed that a picture shows the two men in proximity to each other.  So I guess the tabloid was at least implying, and maybe said, that the two men had an association.
But they offer no real proof other than a grainy picture.  But going from that claim to saying that Rafael Cruz had something to do with Kennedy's assasination is really absurd, and a true d*ck move by Trump. he's really an awful human.

on: Today at 05:18:38 pm 
Started by mamselle - Last post by present_mirth
I'll take Twelfth Night.  I'm most of the way there already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10