• July 26, 2016

Chronicle Forums

July 26, 2016, 12:05:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:04:34 pm 
Started by geoteo - Last post by ergative
If it won't run even when plugged in, that suggests a more dire problem than just the battery. In my old laptop I could remove the battery entirely and it would run fine if it was plugged in.

on: Today at 12:02:38 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by pareadocs
Good afternoon!

Tuesday
Call about car recall
Clean out car
Class prep
Something research related
Walk ParaPup

on: Today at 11:58:29 am 
Started by fort6572 - Last post by oldliberalarts
1. Work on your publications as already said.

2. Teach competently but do not put tons of effort into materials, intensive writing assignments (unless required to) and overly harsh grading.

3. Minimize conflicts with students - unless you are faced with some horror show,  take misbehavior with a grain of salt.

4. DO NOT be an advocate for students against the department. Maybe you have some great idea on how to redo the curriculum or how old professor Fuddy is not competent - let it go.  Unless you see some real unethical horror, don't be presenting your great idea to the faculty. In the same vein, don't take over the department student club or organize a new club.

5. You have no interest in departmental factions about some great issue. Shut up at the department meetings.

Basically, teach and write well - all else is irrelevant. 

on: Today at 11:43:59 am 
Started by paddington_bear - Last post by bcohlan1
When my son was born, I saw that as a commitment on my part not to commit suicide for at least twenty years. I took a hard look at my life and realized that there was absolutely no way I personally could make that commitment and stay in academia.

on: Today at 11:36:50 am 
Started by vardahilwen - Last post by catherder
Warm regards, Citrine.  I hope it helps to pass on my favourite Canadian song. It's about salvage diving, but also much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhop5VuLDIQ

on: Today at 11:26:00 am 
Started by geoteo - Last post by geoteo
My daughter's laptop will not hold a charge, and won't even run when it's plugged in.  What can I do to fix it?

on: Today at 11:23:46 am 
Started by tinyzombie - Last post by geoteo
I'm sorry for your loss, ST--it's hard to have to wonder what could have been.

on: Today at 11:19:46 am 
Started by rowan1 - Last post by geoteo

But it still grates on me. I come from the school of thought that, if you fail to submit an assignment on time, you deserve the consequences of that action.

Make America grate again!

No more pre-shredded cheese?

on: Today at 11:09:45 am 
Started by vardahilwen - Last post by geoteo
I am sorry, Citrine.

on: Today at 11:02:15 am 
Started by pollinate - Last post by crunchy_frog
deranged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10