When Curriculum Development staff get it wrong

(1/9) > >>

abdbio:
I'm starting teaching a new class at Monkeys Online U, and the day before the class even starts, a student reports a problem with a quiz to me (class over-achiever- identified!).  I go check it out, and sure enough, there's a question that's wrong.  I tell the C&D staff person about it and get an email back telling me the correct procedure and inquiring "can you share with me which questions you believe are incorrect and why you believe this to be so?"

The next eight weeks should be fun.

kaysixteen:
Shouldn't the following response to the CD flunkie be something like this: "Question X is wrong.  The correct question/ answer is Y.  It is that way because I say so.  Fix it immediately."

yemaya:
Quote from: abdbio on March 04, 2013,  8:00:05 AM

I'm starting teaching a new class at Monkeys Online U, and the day before the class even starts, a student reports a problem with a quiz to me (class over-achiever- identified!).  I go check it out, and sure enough, there's a question that's wrong.  I tell the C&D staff person about it and get an email back telling me the correct procedure and inquiring "can you share with me which questions you believe are incorrect and why you believe this to be so?"

Ah yes. I had a bunch of those.  I wound up bringing it to my dean's attention because the C&D (who had no qualifications in my field) refused to fix it. 

abdbio:
Quote from: yemaya on March 04, 2013, 11:20:45 AM

Ah yes. I had a bunch of those.  I wound up bringing it to my dean's attention because the C&D (who had no qualifications in my field) refused to fix it. 

Yeah, when I looked at their C&D staff, not one of them listed any type of degree in any non-social science.  Makes me wonder how loose the criteria for accreditation are, exactly...

yemaya:
Quote from: abdbio on March 04, 2013,  1:56:02 PM

Quote from: yemaya on March 04, 2013, 11:20:45 AM

Yeah, when I looked at their C&D staff, not one of them listed any type of degree in any non-social science.  Makes me wonder how loose the criteria for accreditation are, exactly...

I'm in a humanities field, but the C&D people I've run into have either had just M.Eds. or bogus-sounding Master's degrees in "instructional design."  They seem not to understand that graduate level knowledge in the subject you're teaching is an absolute must at the college level and that they're not remotely qualified to be designing content.  Accreditors really need to start paying attention to this stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page