$10k degrees of education

<< < (8/8)

mouseman:
I really wish that there was a decent way to get a degree for $10,000.  Even more than that, I wish that we could have a decent high-school education, so that going to college wasn't the only way to make sure that one got a decent education.

I think that it is a great investment for a state to pay $6-$10K a year to ensure a highly qualified workforce.  Add $10,00 to that, get rid of the bloat in the higher administrative ranks in the universities, and that is more than enough to give students a great basic education, using highly qualified and motivated faculty.

But for that, states have to stop thinking like third world countries, in which the government's main function is to protect and support the people and entities with money.  Taxes have to go up, and the governments need to use the money to invest in their populations.  But that's a different story for a different time.

BTW, my BSc cost $3,100, but that was in Israel when the government still subsidized higher education.

southerntransplant:
As shameful as lack of support for higher education as Texas is, it is not alone. A&M gets 32% of its budget from state appropriations. I think University of Michigan's take is lower - maybe 23%. They probably get more out of state students, though.

mouseman:
Quote from: southerntransplant on February 27, 2013,  1:00:14 AM

As shameful as lack of support for higher education as Texas is, it is not alone. A&M gets 32% of its budget from state appropriations. I think University of Michigan's take is lower - maybe 23%. They probably get more out of state students, though.

No question.  As I wrote above, there are many states that re worse than Texas when it comes to supporting education.  For all the wrongheadedness in how the $10K degree was devised, it still emerged from the idea that education is important. 

sciencegrad:
Quote from: southerntransplant on February 27, 2013,  1:00:14 AM

I had no clue that some states provided that much of university's budgets. At risk of outing myself, both states in which I've attended college provide less than 10% of the university's budgets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page