• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:01:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm an unemployable PhD (warning: very long)  (Read 20422 times)
dreamsailor

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 4:34:46 AM »

Thank you for your great suggestions! I read them many times. I tend to neglect small steps and focus on a big project or picture. I'm an idealist. I just want to do some meaningful things that most speak to my heart. I know I want to do something that helps Chinese disadvantaged students/ youth. I haven't figureed out a realistic plan yet. Unfortunately I currently live in a very remote area, where there is a lack of international educational non-profit organizations.

I will very likely begin to try writing books and articles for a wider audience, and start from there.

Chime to the suggestion that you should begin to volunteer - one-day things, longer term projects - with a variety of groups.

You don't fit the boxes you thought you'd fit.
That makes you feel bad about yourself....some baggage here about why you "should." 
It's just a fact, and a surprise.  Disconcerting.
So you need to try out, systematically, in an extended exploration, a lot of other boxes.

You want to make up your mind before the exploration.
But your brain doesn't work that way - you're not someone who can wake up and say, "I want to be a firefighter."
Own all the things you've accomplished so far and start extending them in forays in different directions, until you find the path that feels like a good fit and that takes advantage of your talents.
grasshopper
Distinguished Senior Member

Grade Despot

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 4:08:38 PM »

I tend to neglect small steps and focus on a big project or picture. I'm an idealist. I just want to do some meaningful things that most speak to my heart. I know I want to do something that helps Chinese disadvantaged students/ youth.

This sounds like it came from a beauty pageant contestant - "I want world peace. And no more hunger."

You need to sit down and think about what you want to accomplish. And not some "save the Chinese kids" fluffy cloudy business. Figure out exactly which real, concrete problems you want to help solve. Then, look for organizations that are engaged in those kinds of things. Everyone is online now. You don't have to live in an urban centre to contribute. Wandering around China in search of disadvantaged youth does not sound like an effective plan to me.

methodsman
A necessary but not sufficient

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 4:53:59 PM »

"Clearly you've never met a life coach. That profession is rife with irony."

Life coaching is now a multi-level multi-modal marketing strategy (read: ponzi scheme) which attracts the clueless and teaches them to empower themselves by getting another bunch of clueless suckers to buy into what every pyramid scheme they themselves bought into.  It is really sad. I am seeing a few friends right now p*** away (at least in one case, quite literally) a bunch of money.  It only works if you get the bunch of suckers underneath you who pass up tribute once and a while.  What a load of crap!

OP, don't go that route.  Perhaps you should talk to a licensed career coach, someone who specifically counsels academics who left the fold.  wrk4us is a great resource as well (http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu/career/wrk4us).

mm

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 4:59:27 PM »

Life coaching is now a multi-level multi-modal marketing strategy (read: ponzi scheme) which attracts the clueless and teaches them to empower themselves by getting another bunch of clueless suckers to buy into what every pyramid scheme they themselves bought into.  It is really sad. I am seeing a few friends right now p*** away (at least in one case, quite literally) a bunch of money.  It only works if you get the bunch of suckers underneath you who pass up tribute once and a while.  What a load of crap!

My point wasn't that life coaching wasn't carp,* but that the OP doesn't appear to be in a position to advise anyone about anything, at the moment.

*I recently attended a professional conference, otherwise wonderful, whose keynote speaker was a life coach. I hid in another room during her session and went over my notes.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 6:34:30 PM »

OP, don't go that route.  Perhaps you should talk to a licensed career coach, someone who specifically counsels academics who left the fold.  wrk4us is a great resource as well (http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu/career/wrk4us).

mm

Yep, what he said.

I still think it would be a good fit for the OP, by the way.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
farm_boy
Professor Demeritus

recalcitrant and trollish loser

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 6:52:35 PM »

Dreamsailor,

Unchecked idealism can be a curse and it can ruin your life.  Be careful with it.  Unless you happen to be born the Dalai Lama, you should focus on something small and doable.  I was going to "save the world" for decades, but all I did was lose those decades, dropping one panacea for another, accomplishing nothing.  Now I'm starting over with gardening to see where that goes.

Good luck

Screw you... You're not a troll. You're just posting pathetic jerkish, troll-wannabe, crap.  (mystictechgal, Member-Moderator)
offthemarket
Still a

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 7:30:55 PM »

I find it really useful how very specific queries are posed to the fora, which are often answered.  But moreover, there is additional advice that often appears to be very useful, answering questions far more important than the ones originally posed.

Dreamsailor, I think you've gotten some great input here, and I hope you take it to heart. The more specific your goals are, the more likely you will be able to achieve them. Even the people who have made huge differences in the lives of others have had very specific plans of action designed to solve very specific issues. Narrow down what you want to do to something which can have a short-term and measurable outcome, and you will be more likely to find the satisfaction you're searching for.
marigolds

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 8:05:38 PM »

Dreamsailor,

Unchecked idealism can be a curse and it can ruin your life.  Be careful with it.  Unless you happen to be born the Dalai Lama, you should focus on something small and doable.  I was going to "save the world" for decades, but all I did was lose those decades, dropping one panacea for another, accomplishing nothing.  Now I'm starting over with gardening to see where that goes.

Good luck

Well said. Thanks for posting that, farm_boy.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
fast_and_bulbous
bulbous also tapered

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 8:44:17 PM »

mm

I've never seen it articulated quite this way but I can say from first hand experience that what you say is basically true, even though sometimes life coaching can help people in the short term. Life coaching is to counseling what chiropractic is to osteology, but primarily done by middle-aged women with husbands who financially support their expensive endeavor. Ask me how I know this (no, don't).
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 8:52:14 PM »

mm

I've never seen it articulated quite this way but I can say from first hand experience that what you say is basically true, even though sometimes life coaching can help people in the short term. Life coaching is to counseling what chiropractic is to osteology, but primarily done by middle-aged women with husbands who financially support their expensive endeavor. Ask me how I know this (no, don't).

To help me finish my PhD, I hired a life coach who is also a dissertation coach. She helped me to tackle the problems, big and small, that no one else cared about, or had the skills to work on, while I was undergoing a midlife crisis in my early 40s.  I can't say enough positive things about her.  I would not have finished without her support, for one.  She has a PhD in psychology, which consistently showed itself to me as excellent preparation for being both a life and dissertation coach, and runs a large business that includes other dissertation coaches and editors. She's not middle-aged, she's very much in demand, and she earns enough to be the sole breadwinner in a family of four.

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
marigolds

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 8:53:19 PM »

mm

To help me finish my PhD, I hired a life coach who is also a dissertation coach. She helped me to tackle the problems, big and small, that no one else cared about, or had the skills to work on, while I was undergoing a midlife crisis in my early 40s.  I can't say enough positive things about her.  I would not have finished without her support, for one.  She has a PhD in psychology, which consistently showed itself to me as excellent preparation for being both a life and dissertation coach, and runs a large business that includes other dissertation coaches and editors. She's not middle-aged, she's very much in demand, and she earns enough to be the sole breadwinner in a family of four.

That's totally different.

juillet

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 7:00:50 PM »

As to Chinese students in China, I have a deep concern of their psychological well-being, especially students in poverty areas. They are under many stresses-social and educational inequality, employment problems, high expectations from parents, long school hours and high stakes tests.... Just to name a few. They often have low self-esteem problems. I kept thinking what I can do.

All of these are problems in the United States, too, and most industrialized countries.  I know you may have a particular attachment to China for whatever reason, but you can probably do this kind of work in whatever country you currently live in if you can't yet afford to move to China and do it.
csguy

Computer Science faculty

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 6:59:36 PM »

As to Chinese students in China, I have a deep concern of their psychological well-being, especially students in poverty areas. They are under many stresses-social and educational inequality, employment problems, high expectations from parents, long school hours and high stakes tests.... Just to name a few. They often have low self-esteem problems. I kept thinking what I can do.

All of these are problems in the United States, too, and most industrialized countries.  I know you may have a particular attachment to China for whatever reason, but you can probably do this kind of work in whatever country you currently live in if you can't yet afford to move to China and do it.
Unless the US student has a tiger mom I believe it is going to be tougher for a Chinese kid (the long school hours and high stakes tests especially). But I don't see tilting at that particular windmill as being particularly productive for the OP.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: