• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:08:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: favorite student sentences, winter/spring 2012 edition  (Read 190909 times)
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a
Distinguished Senior Member

No recess.

« Reply #270 on: March 28, 2012, 8:19:21 AM »

Not one of mine, but from a friend:

Apparently a student noted that a particular social ill could be handled through "exosphere and education."

I guess one way of dealing with this would be to round up all those struggling with this problem and blast them into orbit.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
0susanna

« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2012, 4:14:21 PM »

In the fiction story "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner, it is about Miss Emily and her life story.

At least student put the title in quotation marks.
coalminecanary

« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2012, 4:29:58 PM »

From my survey course, on a health topic they selected:
"Lots of women have ovarian siths, which are usually not a problem unless they burst. There are several types of siths."

I was tempted to ask her if she used Wookieepedia, but I suspect her mother (a nurse) was probably dictating this fine scholarly work to snowy over the phone.

I have a corvid-like strong attraction to bright new shiny things.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2012, 4:53:46 PM »

"Lots of women have ovarian siths, which are usually not a problem unless they burst. There are several types of siths."

I was tempted to ask her if she used Wookieepedia, but I suspect her mother (a nurse) was probably dictating this fine scholarly work to snowy over the phone.

Ask her if it's named "Darth Dometrioid."

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2012, 5:16:01 PM »

Ovarian siths?  No wonder those little f$%kers hurt so much - they're all armed with light-sabres and know how to use them.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #275 on: March 28, 2012, 6:51:20 PM »

Ovarian siths?  No wonder those little f$%kers hurt so much - they're all armed with light-sabres and know how to use them.

Yes, Biomancer, I thought of you when I read that one!

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
rebelgirl
"The only and thoroughbred lady" --Joe Hill said so.

"A hardened English teacher"--Disgruntled Student

« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2012, 8:30:18 PM »

Darth Dometriod:  The Gyno-Emperor is not as forgiving as I am. . . .

I blame all of our problems on that frikkin' Timmy. Lassie should have left his lazy @$$ in the well.
nocurving

« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2012, 9:25:59 PM »

Thank you, thank you!  I really need a good laugh today.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 9:26:41 PM by nocurving » Logged

Do or do not.  There is no try.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #278 on: March 30, 2012, 9:29:47 AM »

"Although common to us in the 2000s, things such as space travel, computers, and aliens were a completely new aspect that had only been introduced just a few years earlier by the hit movie series Star Wars. These new ideas and features provide a whole new aspect which audiences of the time had never seen."

I like the idea that to us in the 2000s, space travel and aliens are common to us. 

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #279 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »

"Although common to us in the 2000s, things such as space travel, computers, and aliens were a completely new aspect that had only been introduced just a few years earlier by the hit movie series Star Wars. These new ideas and features provide a whole new aspect which audiences of the time had never seen."

I like the idea that to us in the 2000s, space travel and aliens are common to us. 

I'm pretty sure Edgar Rice Burroughs is rolling in his grave.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
conjugate
Member-Moderator

« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »

As well as Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein, E. E. Smith, and so forth.

llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure poor Burroughs was already doing about 2500 RPM, considering the fiasco that is John Carter.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
conjugate
Member-Moderator

« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2012, 8:08:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure poor Burroughs was already doing about 2500 RPM, considering the fiasco that is John Carter.

Didn't see it.  The previews made it look like the kind of film you see if you want to see lots of screaming and special effects.  But I haven't gone to the movies in at least a year (maybe more).  I wouldn't have seen that anyway, since I dislike what Disney seems to do with classic stories.

nocurving

« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2012, 8:30:04 PM »

Don't forget Jules Verne and H.G.Wells.  I'm more troubled by the fact that this kid has not heard of, let alone read, any of these authors.

Do or do not.  There is no try.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »

To be fair, he was talking about a film--Alien. Maybe he meant one of the early sci-fi films with realistic effects? (Of course, that ignores the Big Daddy that is 2001: A Space Odyssey.)

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: