• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: REF Stress & All that mess  (Read 21489 times)
mingus

« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »

Ignore preceding comments.   I believe you are saying something else and not what I saw at first reading.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:50:44 AM by mingus » Logged
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2012, 3:47:12 PM »

That's right.

For folks who might be confused, there are two aspects to an input case study. There's the impact itself - i.e. a demonstrable difference outside academia - and there's the underpinning research. There must be a clear link between the impact and the research and the latter must reach a quality threshold of 2*. Beyond that, the quality doesn't matter as its the impact which is being assessed. Hence, panels will look for proxy indicators of research quality with peer review being an obvious one.

With respect to journal quality, I agree that encouraging folks to publish in poor quality journals is a bad strategy. If nothing else, a series of such papers will make the overall submission look weak. With respect to HEFCE guidance and psychology, I think there's a clear distinction between end member journals and the muddled middle. In other words, the initial impression of a Nature paper is that it's 4* whereas something in the North Yorkshire Journal of Geology would be perceived as UC or 1*. Beyond that, REF peer review will be much more important.

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: