• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:46:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do...  (Read 18050 times)
yemaya
Clown-hating
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 5:17:59 PM »

Ok, I'm seeing record numbers of drops from my class, with the complaints largely about the workload.  What stinks is that the even though the university sets the workload, all assignments (and won't let us alter them), etc, the complaint is about the quality of the instructions and the workload, and the teaching evaluations haven't changed.  So instructors are being assessed on course content that they have absolutely no say or control over.

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 8:36:29 PM »

That does stink.  You have my sympathies, Yemaya.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
fosca
Peripatetic Professor

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 9:55:18 AM »

Ok, I'm seeing record numbers of drops from my class, with the complaints largely about the workload.  What stinks is that the even though the university sets the workload, all assignments (and won't let us alter them), etc, the complaint is about the quality of the instructions and the workload, and the teaching evaluations haven't changed.  So instructors are being assessed on course content that they have absolutely no say or control over.

I'm seeing more and more "canned" courses like this, and I suspect that with the rise in treating education as a business, we'll be seeing more of this.  It worries me.

They equate learning with "understanding magically everything that [the professor] teaches us because it's all so easy" not "expanding their knowledge and ability to apply that knowledge to new situations and problems."
yemaya
Clown-hating

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 3:15:13 PM »

I'm seeing more and more "canned" courses like this, and I suspect that with the rise in treating education as a business, we'll be seeing more of this.  It worries me.

Indeed.  I'm trying to walk a fine line between impressing changes where I can and not being a "trouble-maker."  I just sent a list of recommendations, which included cutting back on the workload a bit.  I'm hoping that carefully couching my suggestions both in pro-student language and trying to use positives as well:  i.e. I'm sure that X was done because of blah, blah, but I think that Y might work better because of Z.  I'm hoping that being diplomatic, but direct will be helpful.  Because these courses are a disaster.

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: