• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:18:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worn printhead  (Read 4641 times)
annmarie
Finally a
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: October 16, 2011, 9:17:37 AM »

I have been printing most documents at school and using a Canon printer at home to print a few pages or a picture here and there. 

The flashing light suddenly tells me that the printhead is worn or defective.  I've tried taking the printhead out and reinstalling, and even cleaning the printhead.  The light still flashes and I cannot print.

Now the cartridges are almost new (my luck I suppose) and I am hoping to extend the printer's life until those cartridges die.  Is there any way to fix the printer?

Thanks.
AnnMarie
alto_stratus
Middle cloud,

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:33:11 PM »

I think if you've done all the cleaning procedures (did you run the software for it, or just manually clean it?), and waited a day, and done them again, the printhead might be burned out.
annmarie
Finally a

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 1:02:52 PM »

Thank you alto_stratus.
I have cleaned it the recommended way as well.  <Sigh>
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 1:04:02 PM by annmarie » Logged
innocentpasserby

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:46:19 AM »

This may be way too late to do any good but just in case you're still staring disconsolately at that flashing orange light I wanted to say that I had exactly that experience with an older Canon printer but finally got it working again. I had gone through the cleaning processes and even manually cleaned the printhead with denatured alcohol to no avail. So I decided that if the printhead was really knackered I had nothing to lose and flooded it thoroughly with warmed distilled water before drying it on top of a dehumidifier for a day or so. Knock on wood, but so far it's been working just fine again, green light all the way and good print quality. (This is assuming that you can't see any obvious cracks or corrosion on the printhead.)

You can also find printheads on eBay and elsewhere for around $30-$40, which is a sizable chunk of what you'd spend on some new printers, but I'm in a place where recycling such a thing is out of the question, so was very happy to get it working again.

Good luck with it!
kmacvittie

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

try using hot water and a q-tip to manually clean the head and all contact points.  Use a qtip or lint free cloth to dry the heads and contact points as well. 
Also reset the printer by powering down and then rebooting after you reinstall all of the heads/cartridges.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: