• July 24, 2016
July 24, 2016, 10:50:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 cohort and the tenure package  (Read 71787 times)
southerntransplant
Pruning out "international illumination" and a
Distinguished Senior Member

Prestressed and loaded to capacity

« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »

Is this a public university in a state with a legislature or governor promising heavy heavy budget cuts?

Not as such. We're not the friends of the legislature, but we've brooked our 20% cut already and there isn't evidence that we're to expect more.

Build thicker pure mathematics in your design rather than victimization infinitely skinny surfaces.
minimimi

« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2012, 7:51:42 pm »

Congratulations, southerntransplant! May the rubber stamping continue unabated until you're an associate professor. Speaking of which: congratulations to associate professor-elect senay.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 7:53:10 pm by minimimi » Logged
senay
Wholesome

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2012, 8:55:15 pm »

Thanks, all!  I'm certainly celebrating now, not in August.

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.
turing_complete
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝS

« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2012, 10:08:27 am »

Thanks, all!  I'm certainly celebrating now, not in August.

Why choose?  I threw a party at each of the notification stages (department, college, university), and also a bigger one the day it officially came into effect.

I like parties.
wellfleet

« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2012, 10:40:14 pm »

I'm official! The board approved my T&P earlier today.

One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2012, 10:44:48 pm »

Yay! Congratulations!!!!!

VP

"If you find yourself speaking with a person who does not make sense, in all likelihood that person is not real."

-- The Stanley Parable
litdawg
Ambidextrous Humanities Player

God & the CHE fora help those who help themselves.

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2012, 1:25:04 am »

[tips hat and offers virtual toast] Time to order new business cards! Congrats!

The heart of the wise man is tranquil.  Chuang Tzu
wanna_writemore

« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2012, 11:15:05 am »

Congratulations, wellfleet!
southerntransplant

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:47 pm »

<whistles and claps>

Congratulations!

Build thicker pure mathematics in your design rather than victimization infinitely skinny surfaces.
cranefly

« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2012, 1:08:18 pm »

Congrats!

Oh yeah--Professor Sparkle Pony. "Follow your dreams, young genius, and you will meet with success!" Students eat that up.
foreverchewy

« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2012, 8:44:44 pm »

New poster to the forum. Just got news from Academic Director that Tenure has been recommended by the committee unanimously.  Next, waiting for the call from the Dean. Somehow, I don't feel as excited as I thought I would be.   
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2012, 8:53:00 pm »

New poster to the forum. Just got news from Academic Director that Tenure has been recommended by the committee unanimously.  Next, waiting for the call from the Dean. Somehow, I don't feel as excited as I thought I would be.   

Congratulations! Don't worry, it sinks in.

VP

"If you find yourself speaking with a person who does not make sense, in all likelihood that person is not real."

-- The Stanley Parable
southerntransplant

« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2012, 8:55:59 pm »

Congratulations! Don't worry, it sinks in.

VP

The process is so drawn out it's pretty anticlimactic. Still, it's a major, major step, so congratulations!

usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2012, 7:37:21 pm »

Thanks all!

There was one instance of the Chancellor going rogue and voting down a tenure case that was a squeaker at the department and college levels but was approved by provost and president. He was eased out of his position the following year. My votes have been unanimous positives at the department and college levels so there wouldn't be anything that could be used to vote me down unless they were going to offer a blanket refusal to all tenure cases, maybe to "send a message" - which, presumably, would be "please give our legal counsel something to do."

I'm aware of a case like this a few years ago at a state R1; two of my friends were denied because the provost decided the university was too easy on tenure.  IIRC, he denied half of the cases that had sailed through the lower levels.  My friends all rebounded quickly elsewhere.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer

Administrators leverage their synergies to deliver customer-driven educational product to their students while achieving competencies to attain excellence in performance-driven deliverables to their stakeholders
southerntransplant

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2012, 10:09:59 pm »

Thanks all!

There was one instance of the Chancellor going rogue and voting down a tenure case that was a squeaker at the department and college levels but was approved by provost and president. He was eased out of his position the following year. My votes have been unanimous positives at the department and college levels so there wouldn't be anything that could be used to vote me down unless they were going to offer a blanket refusal to all tenure cases, maybe to "send a message" - which, presumably, would be "please give our legal counsel something to do."

I'm aware of a case like this a few years ago at a state R1; two of my friends were denied because the provost decided the university was too easy on tenure.  IIRC, he denied half of the cases that had sailed through the lower levels.  My friends all rebounded quickly elsewhere.

I made it past the provost and president. Hopefully the regents don't get any ideas.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: