• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:25:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 137
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reluctant Researcher Thread  (Read 395936 times)
msparticularity
Distinguished Senior Member

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #1320 on: March 29, 2012, 7:26:45 PM »

Beloved research friends, I am suffering Death By Meeting this week. Please pray for me, ring bells, light incense, or whatever you prefer on my behalf, that I will be able to retain enough of my brain cells to finish my R&R next week!

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
lohai0

« Reply #1321 on: March 29, 2012, 8:10:42 PM »

I can hardly believe my eyes, but The Editor just asked me to turn off track changes and add a cover page to Steve so he can send it to the editorial office. I think that this might mean we are finally done with Steve.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
bookwriter

« Reply #1322 on: April 04, 2012, 9:50:22 PM »

hi all, hope you are doing well!
Lohai0, congrats! Hope Steve comes out soon!
Ms.P, good luck with R&R. bevo, hope your work is going on well.
Things have been good these last few days: just paved way for a good research opportunity.
Working on my MS now with a refreshed mind. will come back to report later.
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #1323 on: April 05, 2012, 9:40:43 AM »

Morning, everyone! Lohai0, that is awesome news about Steve! I think this calls for celebration! MsP, I'll make an offering to the gods of short meetings for you (or should it be the gods of research? Hmm, maybe two offerings). Bevo, it sounds like you're having a fine old time in the archives. Britmom, Publish, sounds like things are going well for you too.

I've been away, swamped with grading, since submitting my conference proposals a few weeks ago. One of those has been rejected (boo), BUT a late-breaking new CFP for the same conference just appeared, and I think with some tweaks I could re-submit the same material for that panel instead. So I'm trying to get that worked up and sent off this morning, but I'm having a really hard time getting motivated. I think my research brain has shut down. Ugh. Somebody send me a carrot and a stick, please.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #1324 on: April 08, 2012, 3:06:31 PM »

Happy Easter All!  I am back and ready to hit the ground running.  I had a very successful research trip and am ready to go.  The archives at which I was working are going to set up a special archive of my primary sources to make available to other scholars in their country, which is great!  I have a ton of stuff I have gathered together these past few years, most of it public access so I will begin sending it off to them these next couple of weeks.  They also will be republishing one of my articles in their yearly bulletin, I just need to translate it.  Fun!  So, that worked out well.

Tomorrow, I am up to campus to help with our annual undergraduate symposium, which I always enjoy, then Tuesday I meet with the CAS dean about the chair position.  Wed. I have to lunch with one of our speakers and Friday we send off a couple of colleagues so, it will be a bit of a challenge to get back to work, but I will. 

See you tomorrow bright and early!

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #1325 on: April 09, 2012, 9:29:22 AM »

Attention, fellow reluctants: I have the day off from school. Thus, I hereby declare that I am going to make headway on my article revisions today, come hell or high water.

I did get my conference proposal sent off on Thursday, at least.

Bevo, welcome back! Sounds like you're all fired up and ready to go!

formerly_the_fiver
In the clubhouse, a

Keepin' it real?

« Reply #1326 on: April 09, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

Hi All,

I've been MIA for a few weeks. Mostly it was for good reasons, but I'm not going into that right now. Inspired by Corny's post just upthread, I am posting for accountability. I read my article yesterday, essentially for the first time since Feb., I think. Today I am going to work on it for 30 minutes, I think making notes about how it can be improved. The primary issue is length, I think.

Bevo, glad to hear your research trip went well - it sounds exciting! Lohai0, congrats on your good news. Corny, good luck with your revisions.

Ms. P, Britmom, Publish, and everybody else, hope you're all well. See you soon.

I guess you and me is just a ... couple of hangnails on the fickle finger of fate.
fishprof
After the spawning run is over...then what?

« Reply #1327 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »

HI all, checking back in.  I had to set research aside as we decided MrsFishProf will stay home with Smolt next year so I've been hastily preparing summer online courses to make that fiscally plausible.....

Research, alas, doesn't pay the bills....

I'll need help getting back in the saddle when the time comes....

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
lohai0

« Reply #1328 on: April 12, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »

I had another decision come back. I got an R&R on my first solo authored article...from one of the top 3 journals in my field! Even Reviewer #3 was nice!

corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #1329 on: April 12, 2012, 6:44:21 PM »

Hi FTF, Fishprof, and Lohai0! Lohai0, that's awesome news, congratulations! Fishprof, that's such an important decision - I hope you'll still check back in with us periodically.

I have no news, really. I did make some headway on the revisions Tuesday, but didn't manage to get back to them as I'd planned today. Ugh. I do suspect that the decreased activity on this thread in recent weeks means that I'm not the only one in this boat. (The end-of-semester boat, that is.)

bookwriter

« Reply #1330 on: April 15, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »

Lohai0, congrats! hope the revision goes well~!
Corny, hope your revision goes well!
I have so many things to do for a very brief Sunday. but things are getting in shape now. It will be exciting to get these smaller bits of work done. I will be partially relieved tonight after some solid work.
bookwriter

« Reply #1331 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »

just finished 400 words during the first research hour of the day. another hour to go before preparing for teaching. ---happy writing everyone.
lerasmus

I am what you might not be.

« Reply #1332 on: April 16, 2012, 9:25:01 PM »

Have 3 hours left to finish final revisions on a major piece for the top journal in my field... glad that the article will be moving towards completion, but still have a few paragraphs in major need of some TLC. Already accepted, but revisions have been significant and difficult on this one!
britmom
I'm a grant getting

« Reply #1333 on: April 17, 2012, 5:07:21 AM »

Hello everyone!

Sorry, I don't have time right now to run through what's been happening in my absence, but I hope everyone's been making progress. I'm just popping on to say that I'm back to the research and really need to make progress over the next few weeks. I've got the yearly research inquisition coming up so I need to be able to tell them how much I've done. <<cracks whip>>

Will get back later.

Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy - Girl Interrupted
lohai0

« Reply #1334 on: April 17, 2012, 9:04:47 AM »

I have two little data projects then I am done with coursework for the semester. Then I have to decide what to do next on the summer list:

-Contracted hours on Polyanna
-Write a paper for Paul
-Write two outlines for the rest of Finito and call a committee meeting
-That R&R
-Nag co-author about other R&R
-Write at least chapter 4 of Finito

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 137
  Print  

Jump to: