• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 2:20:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reluctant Researcher Thread  (Read 395941 times)
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 6:32:46 PM »

Like biomancer I have been procrastinating on an article that just needs a few more days of solid work before it is off my hands. I did a bit today and I hope I can finish it tomorrow and submit on Monday.

I don't wanna.

Carrot, stick, or both?

VP

fullprofessor

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 6:37:43 PM »

Like biomancer I have been procrastinating on an article that just needs a few more days of solid work before it is off my hands. I did a bit today and I hope I can finish it tomorrow and submit on Monday.

I don't wanna.

Carrot, stick, or both?

VP

Imagine, crumpet, the free time you will have when you get this article finished. Imagine, crumpet, the mental and emotional release of being free of it. You can do it!
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 6:40:05 PM »

You can do it, Crumpet!

(BTW, I prefer carrots, but sticks are more effective.)

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
scotia

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 7:32:20 PM »

Would anyone mind if 'overwhelmed by admin tasks and struggling to find time for really interesting projects' was included in the definition of 'reluctant'? PA is too structured for me at the moment as I try to fend off all sorts of paperwork and surprises, but I do need to find more time for research. It would be good if that time was not the result of pulling all-nighters (I am just too old!) or occasioned by guilt when co-authors call to find out when exactly they can expect the article that I need to blow dust off it has been sitting on my desk so long.
indefatigable
So proud to be a

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 7:41:10 PM »

Would anyone mind if 'overwhelmed by admin tasks and struggling to find time for really interesting projects' was included in the definition of 'reluctant'? PA is too structured for me at the moment as I try to fend off all sorts of paperwork and surprises, but I do need to find more time for research. It would be good if that time was not the result of pulling all-nighters (I am just too old!) or occasioned by guilt when co-authors call to find out when exactly they can expect the article that I need to blow dust off it has been sitting on my desk so long.

Baby steps, scotia. And, clearing out time, even if it's tiny bits, in your calendar for research. You can do it!
zarathustra
Because the Chron says I'm a

Procrastifabulous by nature.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 7:47:06 PM »

I have to have peanut butter on my carrots...

The Squishiest!
scotia

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 7:57:06 PM »

Baby steps, scotia. And, clearing out time, even if it's tiny bits, in your calendar for research. You can do it!

Can you please explain this to the research gods, who have been playing nasty games with me this week. Unfortunately we are going through major upheavals here, and two research hours I had set aside were instead spent attending meetings to try to fend off high risk crazy money-saving schemes that would remove what little research time I and others in my department have left.  The other hour was largely spent shivering outside our building during a fire practice because the alarm could not be switched off when the practice should have ended......

I have to have peanut butter on my carrots...

I think I might just prefer the stick if the carrots are covered in peanut butter.
indefatigable
So proud to be a

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 8:31:45 PM »

Can you please explain this to the research gods, who have been playing nasty games with me this week. Unfortunately we are going through major upheavals here, and two research hours I had set aside were instead spent attending meetings to try to fend off high risk crazy money-saving schemes that would remove what little research time I and others in my department have left.  The other hour was largely spent shivering outside our building during a fire practice because the alarm could not be switched off when the practice should have ended......

Egad. Perhaps you need to set aside your research time somewhere other than the office, preferably somewhere with no phone access so you can be cut off from the madness, if only for an hour or two.
crumpet

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 1:09:43 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. If I can focus on it for a few more hours tonight I can finish up the main text of the argument. I can check over the bibliography tomorrow and submit then. Hopefully.

I could use a bit of carrot at this point. Perhaps some sort of girly treat at the end? Ideas welcomed...
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 6:23:19 PM »

Girly things are good, Crumpet. How about promising yourself a nice bath with candles and scented things when you're done?

Ahem. Vooooooooooxxxxyyyyy? Where is that to-do list? Have you done researchy-things today?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
indefatigable
So proud to be a

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 7:38:51 PM »

How's it going, crumpet?

Voxy, how's it going? Can you report some progress?
crumpet

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 7:46:44 PM »

I am happy to say that I think I am done tinkering with the text of my article. I have to fix some citations and bibliography tomorrow, but I think I'm on track to submit.

Yeah! Now for a reward...
indefatigable
So proud to be a

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 7:50:26 PM »

I am happy to say that I think I am done tinkering with the text of my article. I have to fix some citations and bibliography tomorrow, but I think I'm on track to submit.

Yeah! Now for a reward...

Yea! Enjoy your reward!
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 7:56:09 PM »

I have just woken up from an accidental nap and am a bit foggy still. I will be scratching down some ideas during the Super Bowl. (This has always been my plan, and is not just a post-nap face-saving proposal.) I also have had a splitting headache all day and this morning was unable to solve a simple logic/spatial-relations puzzle, which is usually a good indication that attempting to do any heavy thinking is likely to be a fruitless and frustrating effort. However, now my headache is gone and as soon as I come out of my fog I will be mind-mapping.

One of the things that keeps me avoidant where this project is concerned is that I have no idea how to do it. I cannot even figure out what the steps need to be, which is off-putting. (But not an excuse, of course.) This is a problem I need to solve posthaste -- hence the hope that mind-mapping will help bring order from chaos (sorry, Chaos) and give me some idea of how to go forward.

VP

indefatigable
So proud to be a

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 8:01:30 PM »

I have just woken up from an accidental nap and am a bit foggy still. I will be scratching down some ideas during the Super Bowl. (This has always been my plan, and is not just a post-nap face-saving proposal.) I also have had a splitting headache all day and this morning was unable to solve a simple logic/spatial-relations puzzle, which is usually a good indication that attempting to do any heavy thinking is likely to be a fruitless and frustrating effort. However, now my headache is gone and as soon as I come out of my fog I will be mind-mapping.

One of the things that keeps me avoidant where this project is concerned is that I have no idea how to do it. I cannot even figure out what the steps need to be, which is off-putting. (But not an excuse, of course.) This is a problem I need to solve posthaste -- hence the hope that mind-mapping will help bring order from chaos (sorry, Chaos) and give me some idea of how to go forward.

VP

So glad your headache is gone! I hope your Super Bowl time is more fruitful than Christina Aguilera's rendition of the National Anthem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137
  Print  

Jump to: