• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:42:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing pay with another faculty member  (Read 7995 times)
adgrl

« on: December 17, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »

I'm having another faculty member cover one class for me. Should I share my pay with her (I won't be teaching at this institution again after this semester, so returning the favor at a later time won't be possible). Thanks!
astronomygal
Tough but fair

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »

At all of the places I worked, the person missing the class had to fill out a leave form and told who would be covering the class and the school would pay the substitute. If the person missing the class was an adjunct, it would depend on if their contract specified that they could have any days off whether they would get paid for that session.

"If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
shamu
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 1:28:19 PM »

One class session or an entire course?

If I can, I am happy to cover one class session for my colleagues, and I know they would do the same for me.

However, if you want them to teach the course, not only should you share your pay, but the instructor who teaches it should be the one paid for it.
adgrl

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 4:37:20 PM »

Just one class session! :)
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 4:46:26 PM »

Faculty cover classes for one another without remuneration all the time in every one of the myriad institutions where I have been.  I can't imagine a department where that is not part of the culture.  If you want to do a favor in return, take your sub to lunch or buy them a bookstore gift certificate.

If I got paid for every class I've covered for someone, I could retire.  - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
shamu

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 5:05:53 PM »

Just one class session! :)
What DvF wrote. The lunch idea sounds good, but not necessary. If I cover for a friend/colleague, a "thnk you" is all I expect.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 5:49:33 PM »

Thank you is plenty, but a very small gift would not go amiss if you really feel that you should.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
clean

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 6:01:50 PM »

At all of the places I worked, the person missing the class had to fill out a leave form and told who would be covering the class and the school would pay the substitute

Ive never been paid, or known of the school to pay someone substituting for me... The only exception was when we took over for my coworker that was out 1/2 the term with knee replacement. 

In summer school, a faculty was out 1/4 of the time, and he paid me directly. 

It would be nice if they would pay...

The last thing, is that it may be your chair's job.  If you are out for an official reason, you can let the chair handle it.

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader
sibyl
Do these gray hairs make me look

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »

Chime to DvF.  I've covered classes for people who had babies, who were snowed in, and who went on job interviews.  Lunch was all I ever hoped for, and all I ever got, occasionally.

"I do not pretend to set people right, but I do see that they are often wrong." -- Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
canadatourismguy

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 11:21:48 AM »

Lunch and or small gift if you were away somewhere interesting.

CTG

On preview:  Candadiantourismguy is a subversive of the first order.
biologist_

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 9:00:05 PM »

We fill out paperwork so that grad students get paid extra if they cover for us.  Full-time faculty don't get anything extra and I would expect no more than a "thank you." 

However, schools that employ a lot of part-timers may have a formal arrangement to pay for the extra hours.

Since you know you can't reciprocate later, I would suggest buying the person lunch or a bottle of wine, bag of nice coffee, etc.

infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 2:40:06 AM »

Chime.  Every place I've worked, people cover individual class sessions for one another when some kind of scheduling conflict arises.  No one expects anything in return, other than saying "thank you."  But yeah, if you feel like more is needed, take the person to lunch at a mutually convenient day/time.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: