• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 11:13:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 1321
  Print  
Author Topic: Herd your cats here  (Read 1287176 times)
ab_grp
doing the best imitation of myself as a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #8805 on: March 09, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »

Anisogamy, I am so sorry about your cat.

My cats all hate mint- they'll back away from it if we wave toothbrushes in front of them or breathe minty breath in their faces. I did know someone whose Siamese liked spearmint gum, though.

I am trying to work, but my workspace is being invaded: http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l487/moodymoodie/IMG085.jpg

If I push him out of the way, I get dirty looks.

I want to stick my face in his fur.

I hope that is ok.

Me too! What a cuddly looking guy. 

I guess his territory is basically wherever he is! You and your work are clearly intruding.

Quote from: bread_pirate_naan
You are a genius. 

There is apparently no joy in life that mathematicians will not attempt to dessicate with the dry, hot air of statistical analysis. -anonymous commenter
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #8806 on: March 09, 2012, 1:12:00 PM »

He's beautiful, Moody, and so studious.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #8807 on: March 09, 2012, 1:12:53 PM »

He's beautiful, Moody, and so studious.

Hearted, pry. Adorable observation.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
lenniel
Unqualified to be a

« Reply #8808 on: March 09, 2012, 2:03:18 PM »

What a handsome guy, moodie - thank you!  I love long-haired cats, too, but am allergic to them.  When I adopted The Philosopher, I also adopted a lovely kitty with long fur but had to take him back to the shelter.  It was agonizing.  Fortunately, he was such a sweetie he was immediately placed in a good home.

"Be drinkable. Your choice is fish."
- Henry Rollins
malcha
Creepy Lit Critter, Undead Language Lover,

posting live from her FCFU

« Reply #8809 on: March 09, 2012, 5:29:46 PM »

My toothbrush now lives on the top shelf of my shower caddy. I wait with curiosity to see whether Phoebe will find a way to get at it.

I mean, what's the point of killing a monster if you don't get to loot its corpse afterwards?
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #8810 on: March 09, 2012, 6:38:53 PM »

I <heart> Fat Scott, MoodyMoodie.  What lush fur.

Still missing my two, though from what my cat-sitter says, they're not missing me.  They're fine.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
valmor84

« Reply #8811 on: March 09, 2012, 8:44:46 PM »

Anisogamy, I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. Never easy, but always the most loving thing you can do.

I had to put my beloved old mare to sleep (26, and she was put in my lap the moment she was born) and "her" cat grieved for months.

valmor84

« Reply #8812 on: March 09, 2012, 8:46:54 PM »

Moody, may I call your cat Great Scott? He's a beauty, and I would not want him to lose his self-of-steam <interthreaduality>!
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #8813 on: March 09, 2012, 9:06:30 PM »

Me and DK have been hanging out together on the couch for the past hour. He has been sort of draped around my arm with his 'arms' around it. Then just now, for NO REASON AT ALL, he looked up at me, tightened his grip, extended his claws and simutaneously dug them and all of his little teeth right into my arm! Then he let go and started being all sweet and cuddly again. WTF, DK?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #8814 on: March 09, 2012, 9:14:04 PM »

Me and DK have been hanging out together on the couch for the past hour. He has been sort of draped around my arm with his 'arms' around it. Then just now, for NO REASON AT ALL, he looked up at me, tightened his grip, extended his claws and simutaneously dug them and all of his little teeth right into my arm! Then he let go and started being all sweet and cuddly again. WTF, DK?

It's something some cats do when they're feeling especially lovey-dove.  Something to do with s-x, apparently, even in neutered cats.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #8815 on: March 09, 2012, 9:14:58 PM »

Huh. Express love by drawing blood... how nice! (He didn't actually break skin, thankfully.)

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
lenniel
Unqualified to be a

« Reply #8816 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45:49 PM »

Huh. Express love by drawing blood... how nice! (He didn't actually break skin, thankfully.)

The Philosopher does this as well.  He'll drape himself over something while I pet him, then will get the urge to gnaw vigorously on my hand, arm, whatever is in reach.  When I tell him no, he just gives me this look like "it's a love gnaw. Geez. Grow a pair." 

Which leads to another question for all you cat slaves: do you have conversations with your cats? Have you caught yourself holding forth on both sides of the conversation, complete with witty dialogue and voice changes? Have your cats learned to ask for food and curse in several languages? Do they correct your grammar occasionally?

It goes without saying that I need to get a life, but in my defense, two of my cats did receive fan mail from friends as a result of their communication skills.

"Be drinkable. Your choice is fish."
- Henry Rollins
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #8817 on: March 09, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »

I talk to mine, but they rarely talk back. I have only really had conversations through closed doors, which usually go something like:

C/DK: Yowl yowl scratch
Me: Not now!
C/DK: YOWL YOWL SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH YOWL
Me: Leave the carpet alone.
C/DK: YOWL YOWL BANG DOOR YOWL SCRATCH
Me: Ugh, OK. You can come in.

conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #8818 on: March 09, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »

I talk to my boy.  He tries to reply, by vocalizing in a number of interesting ways.  Occasionally we raise our voices to them when they are not behaving well, but they don't seem to be interested in improving.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
coalminecanary

« Reply #8819 on: March 10, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »

Moodymoodie, what a handsome cat! Kitty looks so soft, like little flokati-cat. I just want to hug that cat!

I have a corvid-like strong attraction to bright new shiny things.
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 1321
  Print  

Jump to: