Hiring Your Own Grads

<< < (2/6) > >>

t_folk:
It's just not good practice for all of the reasons you mentioned and more. The reason that you point out that sticks out is that you don't want to set a precedent for your dept. hiring your PhDs who can't find work elsewhere - that's just poor practice. I would suggest that you be honest with the student about the issues with hiring "from within" and then help him/her in the spring job market - maybe help re-evaluate his/her application packet. If this person isn't someone you feel comfortable speaking up for in the form of references and help with the application process, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your program and the kinds of professionals it is producing.

winnie:
Note:

http://chronicle.com/jobs/news/2006/07/2006070501c/careers.html

expatinuk:
I worked tt at an institution where *I* was the only person who was NOT a graduate of the program (at BA). There was no MA or Ph.D. program there, so they all had done the MA at another Uni in the same state, then returned to their BA school for work, and did the Ph.D. part time. Once they got the Ph.D. they were moved from adjuncting to full time tt.

It was awful. The program was 30 years out of date (to say the least). When I got the job I was told that I was hired because I was the only person who'd interviewed who had a southern accent.

I left a year later and still shudder when I think of the place.....

anon99:
Hire the best person for the job regardless of where they got their degree.  Having graduate degrees from different institutions allows the person to gain valuable experience and see how other departments are run.  If a department is only hiring from within, then they are not getting different perspectives.

helpful:
Quote from: anon99 on December 29, 2006,  1:32:35 PM

Hire the best person for the job regardless of where they got their degree.  Having graduate degrees from different institutions allows the person to gain valuable experience and see how other departments are run.  If a department is only hiring from within, then they are not getting different perspectives.

You are assuming departments are monolithic. One department I was part of had several different perspectives within it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page