• October 31, 2014
November 01, 2014, 12:47:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1011
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2176888 times)
data5112

« Reply #11925 on: April 26, 2012, 6:27:21 PM »

Good luck Leo!

I'm still waiting, not knowing what to think. It is "next week"... right? Oh well. I should focus on my new job applications and just see what happens tomorrow before I lose all hope.

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
doctorladybug

« Reply #11926 on: April 26, 2012, 7:50:18 PM »

Well, I think the season is over for me.  No new posting in tt positions in my field for over a month.  Interview this week may lead to an offer, but would require a demotion from my current tt position. 

Better luck in the fall...

To everyone else, good luck!!!

Dr. LB
leobloom
Where Planted
Distinguished Senior Member

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #11927 on: April 26, 2012, 9:16:29 PM »

Thanks boys and gals. One more effort, let's do it! (anyway, these are the last stretches of the season, things are getting slow, so it can be done; get over that resigned attitude!)
Dr. Ladybug, we envy you to have something to fall back on, let's meet again in the fall!

(and I still have some regrets; I was that close... I AM that close!)
doctorladybug

« Reply #11928 on: April 26, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »

I admit, I only applied to one position this year, so I guess that I got an interview out of it was good.  I didn't know for sure until March that I wanted out for sure, so I missed the bulk of the ads in the fall.

We'll all find something though.  Hey, in another year, hopefully there will be one vacant position in my current location :D
zyzzx

« Reply #11929 on: April 27, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »

Ugh, I am spending part of my day working on yet another application. It's good that there are still things out there, but it would be nice to have a break from the roller coaster and time suck of the job search. My to do list of applications now has deadlines that extend into July. July! It never ends.

Oh, and good luck leo!
scampster

« Reply #11930 on: April 27, 2012, 5:08:44 AM »

Ugh, I am spending part of my day working on yet another application. It's good that there are still things out there, but it would be nice to have a break from the roller coaster and time suck of the job search. My to do list of applications now has deadlines that extend into July. July! It never ends.

Oh, and good luck leo!

I feel relieved that I have no applications to do at the moment. It's so rare! But I'm still on the roller coaster as I am still waiting on the school that requested my reference letters last week, so while I have an application break, I don't have a roller coaster break. Trying to put it out of my mind!

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
data5112

« Reply #11931 on: April 27, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »

Yes, DLB, get 'em next year! I, for one, do not have employment lined up after next week. Yikes!

And I'm still waiting. Last Friday of the month, right before finals, just after interviews and reference checks... something's got to happen today, right?

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #11932 on: April 27, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »

Sorry, Data. The silver lining is that you'll have time to apply for other positions. From what I understand:
1. Now is the prime time for those nice multiple year fellowships, even better than three months ago, and
2. Last-resort adjunct jobs show up during summer.

Keeping fingers crossed for you! Hopefully you'll be too happy celebrating to come back today and report news.
historywoman
Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Pie. Boston. Yes.

« Reply #11933 on: April 27, 2012, 4:26:48 PM »

Ugh.  Just got the second "We have found another candidate that best meets our needs" e-mail after two CC campus interviews this month.  I'm starting to think that I really suck at interviews and teaching demonstrations.

Stick that in your trebuchet and fling it!
brixton

« Reply #11934 on: April 27, 2012, 5:09:43 PM »

Don't think that -- it's just two.  Breath deeply, look in the mirror ala SNL, and say "... gosh-darn-it it's because I like myself...."  Good luck!
bcohlan1

« Reply #11935 on: April 27, 2012, 6:43:33 PM »

Another week. Some bad. No good.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #11936 on: April 27, 2012, 7:25:41 PM »

Another week. Some bad. No good.

Sorry, bcohlan.  My fingers are still crossed for you.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
histchick

« Reply #11937 on: April 27, 2012, 7:58:22 PM »

Without giving any details that would "out" me, I can say that the news in a recent administrative e-mail means that both jobs for which I interviewed AND my current job are probably kaput.  

Great...
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #11938 on: April 27, 2012, 9:47:12 PM »

Without giving any details that would "out" me, I can say that the news in a recent administrative e-mail means that both jobs for which I interviewed AND my current job are probably kaput.  

Great...

Crapedy crap.  I'm sorry. 

I just declared it Friday night (imagine that) and announced that I was going to eat a brownie.  I wish I could share it with you.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
histchick

« Reply #11939 on: April 27, 2012, 9:56:23 PM »

Great...

Crapedy crap.  I'm sorry. 

I just declared it Friday night (imagine that) and announced that I was going to eat a brownie.  I wish I could share it with you.

I have Nestle Toll House cookies...want some?  Love the idea of "declaring" Friday night!!
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1011
  Print  

Jump to: