"favorite" student e-mails

<< < (4638/5905) > >>

krisanthe:
Quote from: master_of_revels on May 28, 2013, 11:29:46 pm

Just got this from advisee who is, let's just say, in no danger of making the dean's list any time soon.

"For some very bizarre reason my grade report is showing that I did not pass one class. Now, I'm positive this is a misunderstanding and that I should have passed and it should be an A and I'm little worried as to why it shows an F, but I was hoping to schedule a quick meeting with you whenever its convenient so we can discuss this and get everything straightened out."

Well, student, as long as you're "positive this is a misunderstanding," I'm sure we can get it all worked out very quickly...  [sound of my head banging on desk]

Just out of curiosity, why is the student contacting you instead of the instructor of the course?  My advisees contact me (instead of their instructor) in similar situations and I'm not sure why.  How in the world am I supposed to know if an error was made in reporting his grade?

Of course, if a grade change request needs to be submitted to the Registrar, I can help with that.  But that's something the instructor would need to contact me for (not the student).

yemaya:
Quote from: cc_alan on May 27, 2013,  9:32:18 pm

Quote from: yellowtractor on May 27, 2013,  4:17:47 pm

Alan, look.  You want Wilmington?  You can have Wilmington.  I'll throw in Chester, Pa., as a bonus.

But I like big-awkward-device.

You are a big-awkward-device...

<cue: "No, you are!">

Alan

My inner frat boy is giggling at "big-awkward-device."

kaysixteen:
Kid wants the advisor to become his defense attorney and intercede with the classroom prof, get the F fixed.

krisanthe:
Quote from: kaysixteen on May 29, 2013,  9:25:31 am

Kid wants the advisor to become his defense attorney and intercede with the classroom prof, get the F fixed.

You're probably right, but I don't see that as my responsibility.  I did contact an instructor once on a student's behalf but that's only because there was a language barrier and the student was having a hard time communicating with the instructor.  I simply reworded what the student was asking in hopes that the instructor would understand the question. 

polly_mer:
Quote from: krisanthe on May 29, 2013,  9:40:05 am

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 29, 2013,  9:25:31 am

You're probably right, but I don't see that as my responsibility.  I did contact an instructor once on a student's behalf but that's only because there was a language barrier and the student was having a hard time communicating with the instructor.  I simply reworded what the student was asking in hopes that the instructor would understand the question. 

I hope that none of us advisors see being the attacking defense attorney as our jobs.  Nonetheless, that does seem to be the expectation or at least fervent hope of some students.  They want helicopter advisor to swoop to the rescue instead of providing advice on how to ascertain whether the grade is correct and what options are open to get back on track to graduate, if not in a timely manner, then at least a path to follow to get back into taking the appropriate classes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page